Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Returning to FSX after many years, what's new?

Default Returning to FSX after many years, what's new?

Hi,

After not having a PC for many years, I've just got a nice new mid-range gaming PC. Just installed FSX and it's wonderful to be able to max-out nearly all the settings (couldn't get anywhere near that on my previous core2duo PC).

One thing that also struck me was how bad the default scenery looks though, back in the day I recall having GEX, UTX, REX, and some mesh that iirc was called FSGlobal. Should I bother searching my loft for my old installation DVDs/download codes for these, or have things moved on since then?

What is the best bang-for-buck scenery upgrade these days?

Thanks all.
    Iain
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    8GB AMD RADEON RX 580

Default Returning to FSX after many years, what's new?

well ORBX has some great stuff if you have the space and money for it. and A2A has got a new airplane if you like aircraft add on's
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    3.10ghz processor windows 7 64 bit.
    desktop

Quote Originally Posted by CessnaFlyer View Post
    well ORBX has some great stuff if you have the space and money for it. and A2A has got a new airplane if you like aircraft add on's
    Yeah, I was looking at orgx, they have some seriously sneaky pricing structures clearly designed to extract as much as possible from their customers. You'd almost think they were only in it for the money!
    Iain
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    8GB AMD RADEON RX 580

Blog Entries

Well I’m still using REX, UTX and GEX and am happy with those.
    MegaSceneryEarth Earth is good for photoreal scenery. (I just have Nevada, my home state. It’s cool to buzz my real life house... lol)

As for airport scenery: take a look at Flight Sim Dream Team’s offerings.
    Life like jetways, passengers that board and deboard, and much more..
    Last edited by kingnorris; 09-14-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by iainso View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at orgx, they have some seriously sneaky pricing structures clearly designed to extract as much as possible from their customers. You'd almost think they were only in it for the money!
    The pricing is both logical, and sequential, ranging from individual airports to national, international and global texture replacements.

Precisely what is it about ORBX, not orgx, that you don't understand, apart from the name?

Quote Originally Posted by iainso View Post
    Hi,

After not having a PC for many years, I've just got a nice new mid-range gaming PC. Just installed FSX and it's wonderful to be able to max-out nearly all the settings (couldn't get anywhere near that on my previous core2duo PC).

One thing that also struck me was how bad the default scenery looks though, back in the day I recall having GEX, UTX, REX, and some mesh that iirc was called FSGlobal. Should I bother searching my loft for my old installation DVDs/download codes for these, or have things moved on since then?

What is the best bang-for-buck scenery upgrade these days?

Thanks all.
    X-Plane or Prepar3d...

Shhhh... If no one has told you yet, MicroSoft is about to a launch a completely new fight sim tentatively called FS2020 - if you have not heard about it, check out all the hype and videos in the Avsim Forums...

Y'know, I have read that this would be a "streaming" app, subject to a monthly fee...

If either is true, I am not buying.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    Y'know, I have read that this would be a "streaming" app, subject to a monthly fee...

If either is true, I am not buying.

Jorgen
    `Future` product surrounded by hype and customer expectation. Who knows what changes will be wrought by MS, or to MS, in future.
    Not to be considered at this time.
    Rumoured to be available in Fall of 2020 and that's about it for now...

Quote Originally Posted by UPHILL3 View Post
    Shhhh... If no one has told you yet, MicroSoft is about to a launch a completely new fight sim tentatively called FS2020 - if you have not heard about it, check out all the hype and videos in the Avsim Forums...
    yeah I seen a video about that. it said this new FS isn't going to be very good.
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    3.10ghz processor windows 7 64 bit.
    desktop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast