Returning to FSX after many years, what's new?

iainso

Hi,

After not having a PC for many years, I've just got a nice new mid-range gaming PC. Just installed FSX and it's wonderful to be able to max-out nearly all the settings (couldn't get anywhere near that on my previous core2duo PC).

One thing that also struck me was how bad the default scenery looks though, back in the day I recall having GEX, UTX, REX, and some mesh that iirc was called FSGlobal. Should I bother searching my loft for my old installation DVDs/download codes for these, or have things moved on since then?

What is the best bang-for-buck scenery upgrade these days?

Thanks all.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

well ORBX has some great stuff if you have the space and money for it. and A2A has got a new airplane if you like aircraft add on's:pilot:

Yeah, I was looking at orgx, they have some seriously sneaky pricing structures clearly designed to extract as much as possible from their customers. You'd almost think they were only in it for the money!

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Well I’m still using REX, UTX and GEX and am happy with those.

MegaSceneryEarth Earth is good for photoreal scenery. (I just have Nevada, my home state. It’s cool to buzz my real life house... lol)

As for airport scenery: take a look at Flight Sim Dream Team’s offerings.

Life like jetways, passengers that board and deboard, and much more..

Edited by kingnorris
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Yeah, I was looking at orgx, they have some seriously sneaky pricing structures clearly designed to extract as much as possible from their customers. You'd almost think they were only in it for the money!

The pricing is both logical, and sequential, ranging from individual airports to national, international and global texture replacements.

Precisely what is it about ORBX, not orgx, that you don't understand, apart from the name?

Hi,

After not having a PC for many years, I've just got a nice new mid-range gaming PC. Just installed FSX and it's wonderful to be able to max-out nearly all the settings (couldn't get anywhere near that on my previous core2duo PC).

One thing that also struck me was how bad the default scenery looks though, back in the day I recall having GEX, UTX, REX, and some mesh that iirc was called FSGlobal. Should I bother searching my loft for my old installation DVDs/download codes for these, or have things moved on since then?

What is the best bang-for-buck scenery upgrade these days?

Thanks all.

X-Plane or Prepar3d...

Y'know, I have read that this would be a "streaming" app, subject to a monthly fee...

If either is true, I am not buying.

Jorgen

`Future` product surrounded by hype and customer expectation. Who knows what changes will be wrought by MS, or to MS, in future.

Not to be considered at this time.

Rumoured to be available in Fall of 2020 and that's about it for now...

Shhhh... If no one has told you yet, MicroSoft is about to a launch a completely new fight sim tentatively called FS2020 - if you have not heard about it, check out all the hype and videos in the Avsim Forums...

yeah I seen a video about that. it said this new FS isn't going to be very good.

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

You are spot on. They are in it for the money.

HOWEVER...

I came back to FSX/P3D 3 years ago after 10+ yrs. Whe I left I was on FSX: SE. When I came back it was looking exactly the same as when I left flughtsimming. Same goes for P3D.

Then I was introduced to ORBX.

And now FSX and P3D after adding ORBX Global, Vector, some OpenLC regions look totally 2019.

I have added couple of 3rd party planes and I am totally in love with my old hobby.

Whether ORBX, Lockheed Martin, A2A and others are in it for money or not - I do not care. I am just enjoying the stuff they deliver for the money :D

yeah I seen a video about that. it said this new FS isn't going to be very good.

Seeing as very little is actually known about the new sim, claiming it won't be very good is a little premature. Visually it's looking very promising, but we will have to wait for details to really know what the rest of the sim will be like.

You are spot on. They are in it for the money.

HOWEVER...

I came back to FSX/P3D 3 years ago after 10+ yrs. Whe I left I was on FSX: SE. When I came back it was looking exactly the same as when I left flughtsimming. Same goes for P3D.

Then I was introduced to ORBX.

And now FSX and P3D after adding ORBX Global, Vector, some OpenLC regions look totally 2019.

I have added couple of 3rd party planes and I am totally in love with my old hobby.

Whether ORBX, Lockheed Martin, A2A and others are in it for money or not - I do not care. I am just enjoying the stuff they deliver for the money :D

i don't believe that A2A is in the simulation market just for the money. they have nice products that are not cheap yes. but they are high quality products. and they are not forcing any one to buy them. nor is ORBX I have a lot of A2A products and the only thing I have from ORBX is the HD trees for FSX. they are not forcing me to buy any thing either. so I don't think stating that they are in it just for the money is the right thing to say.

Thanks all, I had seen a trailer for the new MS sim on youtube, it does look very nice indeed - but then so did MS Flight. Will reserve judgement until it's out.

In the mean time, I've downloaded x-plane 11 and quite impressed, will explore this product for a bit.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Thanks all, I had seen a trailer for the new MS sim on youtube, it does look very nice indeed - but then so did MS Flight. Will reserve judgement until it's out.

In the mean time, I've downloaded x-plane 11 and quite impressed, will explore this product for a bit.

I was going to try the demo for x-plane. but it was a huge download. so I will stick with FSX.