What's the deal with hardware monitoring software and fan rpm?

dogdish

I have three motherboards trying on (Gigabyte X99 G1 Gaming, Gigabyte G1 Assassin2, and XFX nForce 790i Ultra)

In the BIOS on all mobo's, I'm seeing all 5 fans detected and showing RPM readings just fine.

Everything seems to detect/work OK on HWMonitor or SpeedFan EXCEPT in the fan department.

HWMonitor only displays 3 fans and RPM instead of the 5 connected. SpeedFan shows 5 fans but two show 0 RPM.

On the X99 G1 Gaming below, SpeedFan had a option to Enable fan 4 and 5 and this caused the motherboard to power off! :mad: So I removed it and installed Gigabyte APP Center & System Information Viewer and it works perfectly.

Any assistance would be appreciated on the two remaining mobo's if you know of another monitoring software that works.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I can tell you that over the years I've learned that software-based monitoring wasn't the best. It's pretty much hit and miss.

You might be better off with the motherboard's software. For my Gigabyte Z270X Gaming K7, there is software called "Apps" that you can use. I just use the @BIOS App and nothing else.

My two side case fans are controlled by a fan controller and on the fan controller you can see RPM and there are temp probes. I can't even remember the name of my fan controller, but it's made with analog knobs and not digital. I read that digital doesn't retain your settings after reboot so I got analog instead.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I have one called Speccy, it is part of ccleaner, I've had a while now but rarely ever look at it, not sure how I come to get it but it's the pro version and registered to me so I must have bought it sometime, seems to work OK.

Col.

I like CC Cleaner & Defraggler so I just tried Speccy freeware, but it only shows just the CPU fan. Does the payware version show the remaining fans?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I can tell you that over the years I've learned that software-based monitoring wasn't the best. It's pretty much hit and miss.

You might be better off with the motherboard's software. For my Gigabyte Z270X Gaming K7, there is software called "Apps" that you can use. I just use the @BIOS App and nothing else.

My two side case fans are controlled by a fan controller and on the fan controller you can see RPM and there are temp probes. I can't even remember the name of my fan controller, but it's made with analog knobs and not digital. I read that digital doesn't retain your settings after reboot so I got analog instead.

Yes I used the APPs/SIV (System Information Viewer) on my Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 and it works good. Heard using Windows based BIOS flashing software is risky though so I won't use the @BIOS and flash directly through the BIOS.

I also have some fans with analog RPM controllers and made some custom fan splitters to feed the fan RPM's to the motherboard sensors hence why I'm trying to find monitoring software