Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Happy birthday to me! Biplane ride!

Default Happy birthday to me! Biplane ride!

(I want to share this but I'm not sure where to put it.)

My wife and step-son gave me a pretty cool birthday gift (I'll be 60 on Monday).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biplane.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	211988

The smallest aircraft I've been in up to this point in my life is a 20 seater Embraer EMB 120 Brasilia commuter plane.

I'm really pretty excited!
    Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Great! I'm happy for you, Kirk. The picture on that shirt looks like a Stearman with a speed ring*. If that's what you're going in, you're in for a real treat!

I took this picture in the mid-70s, just north of Albuquerque, looking north towards the Jemez Wilderness west of Santa Fe. It's the Stearman we had on leaseback at Pegasus Aerial Sports in Albuquerque. It had the 300 HP Lycoming with a constant speed prop and a metalized fuselage (a former duster). I got 138 hours in that airplane, giving rides, instructing for checkouts, towing banners, and such. It was a sweet flying machine, though a bit much for many folks in the ground handling.

Once you see the world framed by a pair of wings, you'll never look at flying the same again.

* A speed ring is the round cowling over the radial engine. On the machine pictured here it cut drag tremendously, changing the descent in the pattern at idle from roughly a 45º angle to roughly a 30-35º angle, so allowing a bit more speed, and an easier time getting over the top on a loop or doing a split-S. You see the plane here without the speed ring.

Name:	NC4408NFlt09_sm.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	211991

The picture here is with the speed ring. It was taken while taxiing at Coronado Airport (4AC, now defunct, but in FSX) north of Albuquerque.

Name:	NC4408N_Taxi.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	211992
    Last edited by lnuss; 09-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It's a "1942 WW2 Boeing Stearman."
    Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Great -- you'll love it. The one I pictured above was a 1943 Boeing PT-13 (same age as me). When you find out, I'd like to know what engine it has (perhaps the Continental 220 HP, or maybe a Jacobs). I presume it has the original fabric fuselage.

Enjoy!

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

You go Kirk, have a great time! Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Rick

That was the absolute best thing ever!

Name:	BiPlane-3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	336.7 KB 
ID:	212026

Name:	BiPlane-4.jpg 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	212027

Name:	BiPlane-5.jpg 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	212028

Name:	BiPlane-8.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	212029

That's the pilot, Jordan, his assistant and wife, Candace, and the guy in the middle with the goofy smile is me.

Everyone looks goofy, Kirk! Great shots from the flight. I see we share the same "horseshoe haircut"!

I look stupid squatting on that little stool waiting for a ground ball!

Here's a thought...maybe we should form the "Flight Simmer's Horseshoe Haircut" club. Bet we'd have a bunch of members!
    Last edited by mrzippy; 09-14-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

I'll bet you're right. LOL.

It's never really bothered me. I started losing my hair in high school and it's just what it is. Same thing with my age. Friends and family are making big deal out of me turning 60. "Does it bother you turning 60?" "How are you handling the "Big 6-0'?" And I'm like, it's just another day, really.

I think I've found my birthday present to myself, however. Golden Age Simulations has a Stearman. I don't know much about the company, but it looks legit. I may have to learn to fly this taildragger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I'll bet you're right. LOL.

It's never really bothered me. I started losing my hair in high school and it's just what it is. Same thing with my age. Friends and family are making big deal out of me turning 60. "Does it bother you turning 60?" "How are you handling the "Big 6-0'?" And I'm like, it's just another day, really.

I think I've found my birthday present to myself, however. Golden Age Simulations has a Stearman. I don't know much about the company, but it looks legit. I may have to learn to fly this taildragger.
    I was 22 when it started leaving! There is a freeware version of the GAS Stearman crop duster over at the SOH site.

Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  48.7 KB
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

Looks like you had a great time, Kirk. But wooden steps to get on the wing walkway? Wow! Now you know what it looks, feels, sounds and smells like, such a different experience.

Did he give you any stick time? Did he do any aerobatics?

Now, should you read Richard Bach's book Biplane, or his other book Nothing By Chance, you'll better understand some of the things he says in that book about the 1929 Parks biplane he had then.

maybe we should form the "Flight Simmer's Horseshoe Haircut" club.
    I'm in...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast