A340 Accelerates on Descent

beroun

Hi,

Got FCA (Flight Craft Team) A330 (sim FCA332_RR_2.air) and also Opensky A340 (sim A340-300-GE-CFM56-5C4.air). Both GREAT!

However A330 handles realistically on descent, but A340 non-realistically accelerates with the throttles all the way back, could be only with 1200 fpm descent. Applying speed brake slightly slows down the aircraft but the deceleration is not realistic as it is with A330. Real struggle to get to 250kts below 10k feet. Both aircraft have the same 30% fuel load and about 1/2 of pax load.

Before I try tweaking cfg or air file while comparing the two aircraft and do endless testing, can anyone suggest what to change in A340 files to slow this aircraft down?

Many Thanks,

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hallo Peter,

I have the A340 (sim=A340-200-GE-CFM56-5C2) and I have editing the "aircraft.cfg" for better flying and decending.

Look first and read the "Airfile editing for simple problems" on this forum

Willy

Edited by willy

No REAL need to edit air file. In aircraft cfg go to (Flight Tuning) and increase 'parasite drag' from 1.0 to 2.0 (4.0 max) and test (only way). You could also reduce your vertical speed to 1000 fpm and if needed you can change it to 1800 fpm to get to altitude and then change back to 1000. If you want you could go into air file in (flight dynamics) and increase 'fuselage drag' by 10%/50%/100% (test). Or, if it's 75 (too low!) then you can increase it to 128 with nothing getting too much out of whack (if at all). I don't have this model so could not test it for you. Happy flying!

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: it would take you a week to read and implement all that info/parameter in 'Airfile editing..' post. Ha.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Peter - Just a couple comments about these two aircraft. One thing is for sure, the larger the aircraft gets the harder it is to get it to slow down! When flying these great aircraft, don't wait until the last minute! Plan ahead, I usually cruise at 330-340 KIAS, and I drop my airspeed down to 310 KIAS 90 miles out. At 80 miles out I start my descent at a low descent rate, say 400-500'/minute, to a half way altitude to what my final approach altitude will be. Example:

Cruise Altitude, 11000' , 340 KIAS, destination approach altitude 2000'

GPS 090 reduce airspeed to 310 KIAS

GPS 080 descent to 4500' 400'/minute

GPS 060 airspeed to 290 KIAS

GPS 050 airspeed to 270 KIAS

GPS 040 airspeed to 250 KIAS

GPS 033 airspeed to 225 KIAS (Airbus 225 / 235 KIAS Boeing and others )

GPS 023 descend to 2000', 400'/min to final destination approach altitude, can vary depending on

geographic altitudes of the terrain.

Note: Yes, I know! My airspeeds more than likely still exceed the 250 KIAS limit below 10,000', but on cross country flight planning, I really don't concern myself with those limits! Yes it is cheating, I guess, but I haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet :rolleyes:! The real point here, Peter, is I am planning my descent and airspeed reduction over an 80 - 90 miles distance. I just took my A340 out to fly after it's been sitting for a long time and it cooperated fully with the above!

Now, the way I have laid out my descents and airspeed values, I write these values on all my Nav Logs, and they pretty much run the same with most all the other aircraft that I fly. The only thing that really can vary is my destination altitude approach, and that's no biggy to adapt.

Try this approach to your flying before attempting to change aircraft.cfg values. I see you already have taught yourself how to lower fuel and PAX loading and that is a good step if you don't overdo it! You say 30% fuel load, that is a 70% reduction in fuel loading! The most I ever reduced fuel loading was to 60% and that was only to help in takeoff performance! The Airbus 340 is a thirsty bird, loves to drink fuel and 30% won't get you far!

Try my method and check out what Wily has suggested. Play with different methods and see what works best for you! Confession from me, The Airbus is one line that fought me the most in flying and it has ended up being one of the nicest flying aircraft I fly! I admit, it does NOT want to slow down as easily as, say a Boeing or a McDonnell Douglas Maddog aircraft. But, you will find what works for you and your Airbus aircraft and you, too, will begin to enjoy them more!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rick :cool:

Just a general note; I rarely mess with the aircraft.cfg or .air files unless there's something really wrong. I assume the creators try to get as close to the real thing as they can, and that includes individual types' idiosyncrasies. For example, because it's so clean, the A2A Constellation is very tough to slow down in a descent from altitude, but for me that's a feature, not a fault.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Gents,

actually increasing 'parasite drag' from 1.0 to 2.0 in Flight Tuning in cfg 'as Chuck suggested' reduced the descent speed to the realistic level. It also helped the overspeed during takeoff with Autothrottle selected to 250 Knots. So great help and Thanks Chuck.

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

My pleasure Peter. Glad you tried it. Glad it worked for you. Happy flying.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).