Approach Plates

Jim Hall

Do I need approach plates c.2010 to fly FSX? If so, where may I find them?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Thank you guys for your replies.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

HAHA I kinda have to chuckle at my use of the word "professional." When I first started flying in VATSIM I marked my filed flight plan as strictly an observer just to see how everything worked with Comms and what have you. While sitting at the gate at KLAX I was overhearing a Sim pilot that seemed like he couldn't comprehend simple ATC instructions on trying to get to the airport when his instruments went out. And at the same time I observed a 757 or some damn thing on roll out go up and then immediately drop out of the air like a rock. LOL! Must not have adjusted the proper trim for weight I guess. LOL.

All in all VATSIM can be pretty interesting when there's an actual human controller. But I feel some take it to the extreme and waaaay to seriously even though it's just a game in large part. I can understand the importance of realism, but loosen up a little. I'm sure 99.5 % of all VATSIM flyers are not real pilots anyway. Just an assumption on my part though. I'm thinking at least .5% to 2 % are in fact real or former real pilots.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I do check the arrival airport freqs just to be sure when I start my descent. It does happen that they are different for the ILS in FSX than is shown in an add on, which will be more recent. Just go to Maps and click the arrival and the freqs will be displayed. It is very disconcerting when shooting an approach in IMC and the ILS doesn't work.

I just use the GPS to see the frequency for the ILS. And I run LittleNavMap on the second screen where I can look at the ILS and see its letter designator so I know I'm on the right frequency or in some cases, the right runway seen as how some airports like to use the same frequency for both ends of the runway. And to make matters worse it may be runways 20 and 02.

are in fact real or former real pilots.

There ARE no FORMER real pilots (unless the FAA has taken some punitive action), although there are many INACTIVE pilots. The difference being that the pilot's certificate (at least in the U.S.) doesn't expire, even though for most operations a current medical is required and always a current flight review is required.

So an inactive pilot can get active (we call it current) again by getting a flight review from an instructor and, if required, a current medical certificate.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!