Question about addon scenery

mrmark501

Hello all,

I just got my new gaming desktop and oh my god what a difference between 150 frames comparedto my old laptop which I was luck to get 30 frames.

I have FSX steam edition on my SSD but want to put my addon scenery on the 1 TB HD like the bluesky California scenery that is 70 GB, do I need to do anything so FSX on the SSD can find the addon on the HD?

Hello all,

I just got my new gaming desktop and oh my god what a difference between 150 frames comparedto my old laptop which I was luck to get 30 frames.

I have FSX steam edition on my SSD but want to put my addon scenery on the 1 TB HD like the bluesky California scenery that is 70 GB, do I need to do anything so FSX on the SSD can find the addon on the HD?

Yes, add the address of the HD location to to FSX.cfg

or

No, just make sure the addon has its exact location included in scenery .cfg

Your choice...

The location does not have to be in the fsx.cfg file.

Simply put the scenery on the hdd and activate using the scenery library menu in fsx. (same thing as when installing an addon airport.)

This works for one-off applications. However, if the addon is the first of many, it's better to have them all installed to the same HD location, in which case the FSX .cfg is the way to go... Like I said, either will do, the user simply makes the choice based on their skillset.

This works for one-off applications. However, if the addon is the first of many, it's better to have them all installed to the same HD location, in which case the FSX .cfg is the way to go... Like I said, either will do, the user simply makes the choice based on their skillset.

Where exactly, and how do you edit the FSX.cfg for scenery addon locations?

Been doing this a long time and this is the first time I have ever heard this.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

There's no reason to add another round of complexity and slow FSX down even more.

Actually, SCE's basic operation doesn't really add another round of complexity and neither does it slow down FSX (and, AFAIK, any of the other sims it is compatible with). The tool actually allows you to add new scenery to FSX without the sim started as it completely bypasses the need to use the FSX Scenery settings page. It also offers a number of other tools that some will find helpful, including simple fault finding and an inbuilt editor.

@ Col (aka ColR1948)…

Thanks for the shout out but you are just a capable of outlining the procedure as I have know you have used my advice on your own system....

@ Mrmark501....

The procedure is very easy - this is how I do it for my Bluesky stuff - I have stuff covering multiple states. You can make the folder structure as simple or as detailed as you wish. You can place all of the BlueSky scenery in one single folder or split it like I have....

1. Create a root folder - for example D:\BlueSky Scenery\

2. Depending on how you want to store it create the following subfolder(s)

All lumped together - create a Scenery subfolder (e.g. D:\BlueSky Scenery\Scenery

Separate folders for each area - create a Area subfolder followed by a Scenery subfolder (e.g. D:\BlueSky Scenery\California\Scenery

3. Place the .bgl files into the Scenery subfolder.

4. Activate the folder in FSX as normal - Simply navigate to the D:\ drive location.

Another solution would be to move the scenery as is from the current location onto the HD and make a simple edit to its entry in the scenery.cfg to reflect the new location. This is a very simple operation once you understand the basics.

Below is an edited example from my scenery.cfg to show what needs to change...as always I suggest making a backup copy of the file before editing:

Original entry - shows an entry where the scenery is stored in a subfolder within the default FSX Addon Scenery folder (i.e. FSX\Addon Scenery\BlueSky Scenery\ - The item in RED is the part that needs to be changed.

[Area.391]

Local=Addon Scenery\BlueSky Scenery\Utah

Title=Blue Sky Scenery - Utah

Required=FALSE

Active=TRUE

Layer=137

New edited entry - shows the new entry pointing to the new scenery location based on the folder structure suggested above.

[Area.391]

Local=D:\BlueSky Scenery\Utah

Title=Blue Sky Scenery - Utah

Required=FALSE

Active=TRUE

Layer=137

Regards

Brian