Engines stopping after FS initialization?

steve crewdog

I was having a similar issue awhile ago running my Level-D Sim 767's. I'd get through all of the pre-flight and start-up procedures, start to taxi, and lose all power. Winds up, it was because I did not have my prop and mixture levels firewalled on my CH Yoke.

Not saying this is your issue, but if using a simulator yoke with controls, it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck on fixing your issue!

Neil :cool:

A quick, easy, solution to problems like this: reset you default flight to the default that comes with the sim. C172 at Seattle, IIRC.

Just open your FS9.cfg file with NotePad, or NotePad++. Ensure you're totally and completely out of the sim. Never use a word processor program, like MS Word, to edit a cfg file. ONLY ever NotePad (included with Windows), or NotePad++, a freeware editor that is much more versatile and capable than NotePad, and readily available on the net for download and installation.

Once you have your FS9.cfg open, find the line that says SITUATION= . What comes after the equals sign is not relevant, as you're going to delete it. ONLY the words, letters and symbols following the equals.

Save the file, close it, and start the sim. Once the Freeflight screen loads up, load the plane, and location you want, and go flying.

I'll wager the engines stay on.

Generally, this sort of problem is caused by having the wrong settings saved off on you default flight. Usually the Mixture, which in jets is the Fuel Valve, is off, but it's a good idea to use the default, default flight, because it will set all the different aircraft variables correctly for almost all aircraft. For those who want to jump in and go, it a huge benefit.

You don't have to actually LOAD the default, default flight into the "world", just have it for when the Freeflight screen loads in.

Good fortunes to you!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Once you have your FS9.cfg open, find the line that says SITUATION= . What comes after the equals sign is not relevant, as you're going to delete it. ONLY the words, letters and symbols following the equals.

Save the file, close it, and start the sim. Once the Freeflight screen loads up, load the plane, and location you want, and go flying.

I'll wager the engines stay on.

Good fortunes to you!

Pat☺

Hi Pat,

Here's an odd thing, I don't have a FS9.cfg file. Got a FS200.cfg, but that's it.

Odd....

Make sure you're looking in the folder located here: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

There is a folder setting that will permit you see "hidden" files and folders. Look up where to find the FS9.cfg file for your OS. I believe there is a stickie someplace, darned if I can find it right now, but I just woke up, that has the information on 1) Just where and how to search for the .cfg file, and 2) how to make the hidden files and folders visible to you. Here is an image of where to find this setting:

settings.jpg

I use Everything.exe for such searches. It's faster, and more efficient that the Windows search feature.

Remember, do NOT make any changes to the FS9.cfg contained in the FS9 root folder. That's the basic .cfg file that FS9 installs to the location I specified during installation. From then on, the FS9.cfg in the location I specified is the one that gets changed when you add new airplanes, gauges, .dlls, etc etc.

Also, ensure you make a backup, once you find it, of the .cfg file before making any changes. If things go totally pear shaped on you, you can always restore the backup, and start over. It's a safety thing.

Hope all this is some small help...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Glad you got it! :)

May I make a small suggestion? If you're gonna be FS9'ing much, you may want to make a shortcut on your desktop to places like where the FS9.cfg file is located (there is a few others you may need in there too), where the root FSX folder is located so you get to things like aircraft.cfg files, and so on, places like that. Once you have a shortcut, it saves a lot of "Where WAS that dern file???", or "point-click, point-click, point-click" getting to the file(s) you may want, or be advised to, edit for some reason.

Things like adding paints to aircraft, changing an aircraft's flight characteristics, etc etc. The list is endless, and the longer you fly the sim, the more likely you will be to start "tweaking" some, or all, the files FS9 uses.

Good fortune to you, and enjoy the sim(s)!

OH, I wanted to mention: I was a Sergeant. Not a "Sir". Officers are "sirs", and I worked for a living, unlike them. heh-heh-heh... :cool:

Pat☺

Edited by PhantomTweak

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad you got it! :)

May I make a small suggestion? If you're gonna be FS9'ing much, you may want to make a shortcut on your desktop to places like where the FS9.cfg file is located (there is a few others you may need in there too), where the root FSX folder is located so you get to things like aircraft.cfg files, and so on, places like that. Once you have a shortcut, it saves a lot of "Where WAS that dern file???", or "point-click, point-click, point-click" getting to the file(s) you may want, or be advised to, edit for some reason.

Things like adding paints to aircraft, changing an aircraft's flight characteristics, etc etc. The list is endless, and the longer you fly the sim, the more likely you will be to start "tweaking" some, or all, the files FS9 uses.

Good fortune to you, and enjoy the sim(s)!

OH, I wanted to mention: I was a Sergeant. Not a "Sir". Officers are "sirs", and I worked for a living, unlike them. heh-heh-heh... :cool:

Pat☺

Hi Pat,

Just some background: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?318218-Help-wanted-A-Garry-J-Smith-Project

We've got the 2 computers under Admin mode (password protected, and only a couple people have the password) and Guest mode for open houses. The odd thing is that under Admin mode, everything works fine. Switch to Guest mode, and *coughcough*, engine(s) shut down. Odd.

I was raised in a Navy family, Dad was 20 year enlisted, and I got shipped off to Devil Pups in the late 70s when I misbehaved. Understand about not calling you Sir. Oorah!!!!

Take care,

Steve

Edited by steve crewdog

Semper Fi, Steve!

We've got the 2 computers under Admin mode (password protected, and only a couple people have the password) and Guest mode for open houses. The odd thing is that under Admin mode, everything works fine. Switch to Guest mode, and *coughcough*, engine(s) shut down. Odd.

A lot of MSFSes, whether FS9, FSX, or whatever, don't work worth a rat's tail (ahem) without being in Admin. Especially in Win10, and double especially if the Sim is installed in C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files(X86). Win10 has some severe personal problems with allowing the sim, or the user, to do "things" in those two folders in particular, and on the HD in general.

Best thing to do in that case, at least IMHO, is make backups of all your specials, whether planes, paints, scenery, whatever, and then completely uninstall the sim, and re-install it in a different location, like C:\MSGames\, or D:\Sims\, whatever.

Remember, that an uninstall means .cfg files, flight plans, shaders, registry entries, leftover folders, EVERYthing. There are some good guides on this site, someplace, on "How-To" do a proper uninstall.

After you install it again in the chosen, new location, you can add all your specials back in, just as though you had just found them, brand new, and want to get them into the sim again.

A handy hint: Once you get the sim freshly installed, before you add ANYthing to it, make a backup of it as-is. You can do it to an external HD, a thumbdrive, whatever. Called a "vanilla" install. If something goes wrong, you can then either reinstall from your backup MUCH faster than off the discs, or, if needed, you can reinstall any small part of it. Scenery, gauges, default planes, AN individual scenery, AN individual gauge, you name it.

Finally, and it sounds dangerous, but it's not, really, always start the sim in Admin mode. Same for NotePad. Easiest is to make a shortcut for the FS9.exe, and set it to Start as Admin. Do it for any user that wants to start the sim. ALWAYS set it to start as Admin.

Make sure you have the "no disc", and v9.1, mods added in, too.

Hope all my rambling helps a little...

Good luck to ya!

Pat☺

Edited by PhantomTweak

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even more fun, Pat, it's running under W7. I went away for a while and the sims never got updated to W10, groan, but at least we missed W8! System is a dual HD with the sim installed on the D drive, 9.1 and the no-disc option is installed (Note: Yes, we did purchase licenses for both copies of FS, but we do not leave the disc in the drive or it would be long gone.)

If we did not run these things under Admin/Guest you would not believe how much damage would be done to them. God bless our volunteers, but they're not simmers, and you would not believe the amount of "mischief" people will do to them, and a few days after an open house I'll go back and clean them up. (Some of the saved flight names are pretty funny, though , I will admit)

I think you mis-understand me.

If you rclick on most .exe files, you will see a choice on the menu that reads Run As Admin.

It doesn't give the user Admin rights to anything but that particular file, and only while it's running. As long as they don't have Admin rights to the folder, or anything else, they won't be able to get in very much mischief, if any.

What it does do is make sure the file runs with the max permissions, to ensure the .exe can do what it needs to do, with it's own accessed files, like an aircraft's files, scenery files, etc. Not the user, just the .exe file, see the difference?

I do not believe the user can do any more than granted in their Login status.

Give it a test: log in as a user, as if you were one of the visitors, after setting the FS9.EXE file to Run As Admin when it's opened by anyone, and see what you can get away with.

Of course, I may be totally out in left field, but I do know that the Run As Admin thing is pretty important to allow the sim to do any number of things it needs to. Not the USER, as I said, but the .exe file it's self.

Good luck. Glad you never updated to W10. It seems like every update they put out for it causes more difficulties for the sims, and simmers.

Then again, there are people that don't seem to have any trouble at all with it, so make your own decision. But read the forum threads to see other people's experiences when you get a chance :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]