Airport Code Please??

aharon

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Does anybody know what airport code is used for FSX default Denai Camp base used for one of FSX missions? I want to take off from that base.

Thanks,

Aharon

Is that Denali Base Camp in Alaska? Is it just a dirt or grass strip? PATK, maybe??

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Is that Denali Base Camp in Alaska? Is it just a dirt or grass strip?

Yes it is on snow runway on Denali mountains in Alaska.

PATK, maybe??

PATK is departing airport for flight to snow runway on Denali mountains. I need airport code for that snow runway on Denali mountains.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Yes it is on snow runway on Denali mountains in Alaska.

PATK is departing airport for flight to snow runway on Denali mountains. I need airport code for that snow runway on Denali mountains.

Regards,

Aharon

Not sure if it has an IACO code. I would get to that snow strip using the Mission and while sitting on the runway, turn on your GPS or map and see if it is listed.

Hi Aharon, the mountain medivac location isn't an airfield, it's a sloping glacier. The quickest way to mark that spot would be to open the mission in the mission editor, note the glacier's latitude and longitude, and then place an NDB or similar beacon at that location with ADE. Creating a fictional airstrip wouldn't work because it would flatten part of the sloping glacier and create cliff edges. Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

As stated in the mission:

A pocket of civilization in a vast mountain wilderness, Base Camp sits at 7,200 feet MSL in the shadow of Mount Hunter to the southeast and Mount Foraker across the glacier to the west. Humorously referred to as "Kahiltna International Airport," it's really just a small seasonal village of brightly colored tents and gear.

RE: the airport flattens.... just creating an airport location without specifying any runway or surface features just gives you an "airport LOCATION" that is listed with the other airports. I used this technique to create labels across a lot of the UK Lake District on specific hill and mountain features. Creating an 'airport' at the hilltop elevation gave me a visible airport label 1500' above the mountain for VFR touring. The same should apply to any desired location in the FSX world.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thanks all for kind answers.

It is tough for me to follow suggestions. I am NOT extremely professional programmer!!

PATK is airport that is for departing airport for flight to snow runway on 14,000 ft Denai mountains. I am looking for airport code for FSX's snow runway on 14,000 ft high Denai mountains that FSX uses ski plane for Denai Camp Base mission so that I can have fun taking off from that snow runway at 14,000 ft high using ski plane

In real life, DHC-3 or C206 with skis and wheels fly tour packages from PATK to snow runway on 14,000 ft high Denai mountains and back

Thought it would be nice to recreate that in FSX!!

CQwL8Nm.png

Coordinates are about:N62° 49' 23.80",W151° 8' 0.29"

It looks like that Ray found the right snow runway for Delina Base Camp on 14,000 ft high Alaskan mountain as this photo with red mark based on his coordinations.

NOW the question is how to find that in FSX and take off from that!!! Assuming that FSX offers same ground terrains as this photo

snow.jpg

CQwL8Nm.png

how to find in FSX? Remember that with the map feature, you can just plug in those co-ordinates and GO there. Do it in slew mode and once there, the easiest thing is to create a user waypoint --- you are using Plan-G or something like that hopefully (it's free and absolutely great for stuff like this) -- and you'll always be able to find your way back. Don't forget to also save a flight at this location...

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

It is tough for me to follow suggestions. I am NOT extremely professional programmer!!

Hmmm... I didn't see anything about programming in the above posts. I did see suggestions about using ADE (an airport design editor) to create an airport name (you make it up) for that spot so you can get back to it. This is a fairly simple procedure in ADE.

PATK is airport that is for departing airport for flight to snow runway on 14,000 ft Denai mountains. I am looking for airport code for FSX's snow runway on 14,000 ft high Denai mountains that FSX uses ski plane for Denai Camp Base mission so that I can have fun taking off from that snow runway at 14,000 ft high using ski plane

You're asking for something that doesn't exist. Read the above posts a bit more carefully, especially that of tiger1962 (Tim). People are telling you that there is NOT an airport there, therefore no airport code, but that it is just a piece of glacier or snow pack on which they can use a ski plane.

In real life Alaska, just as in the sim, there are many places where bush planes takeoff and land that are not airports, just places long enough and smooth?? enough for an aircraft -- not even an established runway, just (relatively) smooth ground, which may be heavily sloping on some of them.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Aharon, I agree with larry and the others that there is no actual runway in that area. I used the coordinates and placed my Twotter with tundra tires there. It's a huge glacier. I was able to take off and fl;y around looking at the area and then land again.

Once again, I would suggest that you fly that Mission and once you have landed at the spot, use shift+z and copy the Latitude and Longitude numbers. That way you can start a Free Flight at a known airport nearby, like Denali, and from there, you can enter those same coordinates on the map and your plane will move there.

Thanks all for kind answers and comments. I managed to figure out by drawing flight path in FSX map from PATK to glacier runway on 14,000 ft Denali mountains.

Mr. Zippy: I used the coordinates and placed my Twotter with tundra tires there. It's a huge glacier. I was able to take off and fl;y around looking at the area and then land again.

Out of curiosity, how did you do that?

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Out of curiosity, how did you do that?

Regards,

Aharon

I started a flight at Denali airport, then went to the map and entered the coordinates that Ray Hiff mentioned. I found myself on the glacier sliding downhill. Quickly cranked up the engines and took off.

I started a flight at Denali airport, then went to the map and entered the coordinates that Ray Hiff mentioned. I found myself on the glacier

Yeah this is what I mean How do you do that? (Step by step instructions please)

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Yeah this is what I mean How do you do that? (Step by step instructions please)

Thanks,

Aharon

1. Choose your aircraft

2. Choose Denali airport (pretty close to where you are going)

3. Sitting in your aircraft, click on the map and change the latitude then change the longitude, click OK

4. Screen goes black and loads the new location.

5. Throw out a anchor cuz your aircraft will start sliding down the "slippery slope".

I started a flight at Denali airport, then went to the map and entered the coordinates that Ray Hiff mentioned. I found myself on the glacier sliding downhill. .

Mr Zippy,

Somebody found and gave me the better coordinations of the camp base on 14,000 ft high Denali mountains N62° 58' 4.14",W151° 10' 7.38" that will NOT make your plane sliding downhill.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Well, isn't that neat. I put the coordinates in Google to see what the location really looks like, and lo and behold, there is a camp there with what looks like a broken plane. Talk about art imitating life or is it the other way around?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/62%C2%B058'04.1%22N+151%C2%B010'07.4%22W/@62.9678167,-151.1687167,432m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d62.9678167!4d-151.1687167

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Yep I agree it is interesting!!

Given and using this SPECIFIC coordinate N62° 58' 4.14",W151° 10' 7.38", a clever scenery designer or developer can create freeware FSX scenery with airport code for Denali camp base with few tents, few static AI planes, and two rows of red barrels to indicate runway on 14,000 ft Denali mountain.

And SOMEBODY DID THAT TODAY!!! I am testing that scenery!!

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png