Deleting airports/saved flights?

steve crewdog

Hi all,

I know this is going to sound odd, but I maintain a FS2004 flight sim for an aviation museum, and for various reasons I'd like to delete all the rest of the airports in the world except for the local ones we want our visitors o focus on. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Sure. In the main Scenery folder there are folders with names like Namc (Central North America). These contain the airports, which are in APxxx files. For those continents/areas you don't live in, just move all the files in the scenery subfolder into a Remove folder you create. Make one for each of these folders. For the continent/area you live in, leave the AP file(s) that contain your local airports and put the rest into a Removed folder you create.

To figure out which AP file(s) contain your airports, open the stock files in ADE or AFCAD and look at the file location for the file. That will tell you the AP files to keep. If you only want the airports not showing up in the Go To Airport menu, just removing these AP files will do that.

But if you want the airport buildings, navaids, etc. to disappear as well, in that folder where you live there will be lots of other files with different 2 letter codes. These contain those things like airport buildings, navaids, etc. If you don't want those to display either, keep all those files with the same number(s) as the AP files you keep, and put the rest into the Removed folder.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Tom,

Perfect, many thanks. No, we don't need to eliminate the buildings, etc, we're just tired of visitors resetting the machines to some other airport, when our whole focus is on the local areas, and we want our volunteers to be able to easily reset the sims back to them.

:cheers:

Sure. In the main Scenery folder there are folders with names like Namc (Central North America). These contain the airports, which are in APxxx files. For those continents/areas you don't live in, just move all the files in the scenery subfolder into a Remove folder you create. Make one for each of these folders. For the continent/area you live in, leave the AP file(s) that contain your local airports and put the rest into a Removed folder you create.

To figure out which AP file(s) contain your airports, open the stock files in ADE or AFCAD and look at the file location for the file. That will tell you the AP files to keep. If you only want the airports not showing up in the Go To Airport menu, just removing these AP files will do that.

But if you want the airport buildings, navaids, etc. to disappear as well, in that folder where you live there will be lots of other files with different 2 letter codes. These contain those things like airport buildings, navaids, etc. If you don't want those to display either, keep all those files with the same number(s) as the AP files you keep, and put the rest into the Removed folder.

Hope this helps,

Hi again Tom,

Tried that this morning and it worked well, but anytime I booted I got an error message/nag screen that the scery.cfg file was unable to locateXYZ. So I opened the master Scenery.cfg file, changed ACTIVE=TRUE to ACTIVE=FALSE, left the files where they were, and it worked great.

Now I'm in the process of isolating the airports I want in the namw section, but with 1,000+ airports in the database I'm probably going to have to let that go for a while, there are only about a half dozen airports we want to keep. (KBVS, KBLI, KPAE, KSEA, plus the custom built ones Garry did for us that should be in the Add-on scenery database.

:cheers:

Edited by steve crewdog

An other possibility would be to save the selected default airports with an Airport Editor tool, like ADE, AFX or AFCAD. Than remove all AB9xxxxx.bgl and AP9xxxxx.bgl as suggested by Tom. Either in all Scenery/..../scenery folders or just those in Scenery/Namw/scenery folder.

For your information, the couple default airports you want to keep are included in follwing files of "Namw/scenery" folder:

KBVS AB915140.BGL and AP915140.BGL

KBLI AB915140.BGL and AP915140.BGL

KPAE AB915140.BGL and AP915140.BGL

KSEA AB915150.BGL and AP915150.BGL

You might also keeping just these two files including about a fifty other default airports each.

An other possibility would be to save the selected default airports with an Airport Editor tool, like ADE, AFX or AFCAD. Than remove all AB9xxxxx.bgl and AP9xxxxx.bgl as suggested by Tom. Either in all Scenery/..../scenery folders or just those in Scenery/Namw/scenery folder.

For your information, the couple default airports you want to keep are included in follwing files of "Namw/scenery" folder:

KBVS AB915140.BGL and AP915140.BGL

KBLI AB915140.BGL and AP915140.BGL

KPAE AB915140.BGL and AP915140.BGL

KSEA AB915150.BGL and AP915150.BGL

You might also keeping just these two files including about a fifty other default airports each.

I'm sorry, leuen (or anyone else), I've been playing with AFCAD and been unable to find where these codes are when I open an airport. If I just click on the file I get a blank, tan screen in AFCAD, if I type in the airport ID I get the full airport, but I don't see a way to read these *******.bgl file names. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

When you get the full airport go to "Properties" in "File" section, and you will get the airport properties. At the bottom you will see a line named "From File". For KBVS as example it shows "X:\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery FS9\NAMW\scenery\AP915140.BGL". That's the path where the bgl file is saved.

If you want to know which other airports are generated by such a file, I would suggest to use a tool named "JABBgl". It's a small tool primarly to be used as bgl elevation editor. While searching for a specific stock airport it lists all airport included in the same AP9xxxxx.bgl file. Maybe it might be useful too.

Bernard