Moving FSX

Hello,

I wonder if there's a way to move my FSX to new laptop that does not have DVD player. My old PC keeps crashing during flight.

Thanx

If you have FSX on disk, no.

But you could always download FSX Steam Edition.

Or you could remove the DVD player from your old PC.

Or you could transfer the old installation to a large USB drive.

The error code is usually associated with access permissions....

As your rig is new I suspect that it has Win 10 - the inbuilt security app (called User Account Control (UAC)) that ships with Win 10 seems to be more 'proactive' than the version used in earlier versions of Windows and seems to cause more problems.

I also assume that you have installed FSX into the default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\………) - this again can cause issues for some users and again, whilst it affected earlier versions of Windows, it seems to be more of an issue in Win 10.

This problem can also impact on other actions that you may want to do with regards to FSX - such as editing Aircraft.cfg files, etc.

Two options available to you:

A. Uninstall FSX and reinstall outside of the default location in its own root folder - i.e C:\FSX.

B. When installing stuff run the installer using admin rights as follows:

1. When you insert the DVD cancel any autostart.

2. Use windows explorer to view the contents of the disk and find the install execution file - it will usually be named setup.exe or setup.msi but may have a different name. Whatever it is called it will have a .exe or .msi extension.

3. RIGHT click on the .exe file and select Run As Administrator from the resulting menu.

Regards

Brian

Try this...

Check the properties of the downloaded PMDG file by right clicking on it. Look at the very bottom of the General tab and see if the file has been blocked - there may be a statement regarding blocking with a box to the right of the statement which is labelled Unblock. Click on the box to activate it and then click Apply followed by OK. Try running the install again using Admin rights.

Regards

Brian

When you say nothing works ,is that just the PMDG or all aircraft ?

Does the sim start and run at all?

Andy

The sim starts fine.

I reinstalled FSX like Brian suggested above, tried both things that he offered, reinstalled FSX but can't activate my PMDG B747-400, B777 says it can not load on this PC. i have not tried MD-11 yet.

Try this...

Check the properties of the downloaded PMDG file by right clicking on it. Look at the very bottom of the General tab and see if the file has been blocked - there may be a statement regarding blocking with a box to the right of the statement which is labelled Unblock. Click on the box to activate it and then click Apply followed by OK. Try running the install again using Admin rights.

This is what I have in properties. In security it does not show Windows 10, it is set on Vista with SP1/2 but I can change it to Win7 or 8 only.

In the Readme file it says: After installation, this installer will launch a redistributable

file for VS2008 that is REQUIRED for this product to run. I do not remember if it prompted me to do that or not, And where do I find it if it did not?

Max

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Edited by Nightflier23

Hi Max,

You will find the Visual C++ 2008 Redists packs at the following links:

32 bit - HERE

64 bit - HERE

You will need to download the relevant file that is appropriate for your OS bit rate version.

DO NOT run the install directly from the download option but SAVE the file to a temp location. Then run the file by RIGHT clicking on it and selecting Run As Admin. Once it has installed reboot the PC using the RESTART option.

You can check to see if you have a version of Visual C++ 2008 already installed by looking in the Programs and Features listing but I still suggest downloading and installing as indicated above. This will ensure that you have no missing or corrupt files from a previous install - if you do already have an install of 2008 the redist pack install process will simply check what files are there and will only add and/or replace missing/corrupt/damaged/out of date files as appropriate

Regards

Brian

Previous to the recent MS announcement reclaiming FSX from Steam I would have suggested getting the product from them. Just wondering if that is no longer possible. No exactly relevant to the original question as that has passed of course, but the curious may like to know. Installing FSX from disc can be problematic in W10 whereas Steam install was a doddle. I know I have both.

Hi Max,

You will find the Visual C++ 2008 Redists packs at the following links:

32 bit - HERE

64 bit - HERE

You will need to download the relevant file that is appropriate for your OS bit rate version.

DO NOT run the install directly from the download option but SAVE the file to a temp location. Then run the file by RIGHT clicking on it and selecting Run As Admin. Once it has installed reboot the PC using the RESTART option.

You can check to see if you have a version of Visual C++ 2008 already installed by looking in the Programs and Features listing but I still suggest downloading and installing as indicated above. This will ensure that you have no missing or corrupt files from a previous install - if you do already have an install of 2008 the redist pack install process will simply check what files are there and will only add and/or replace missing/corrupt/damaged/out of date files as appropriate

Thank you Brian,

I have Visual C++ 2008, but installed 32 and 64 bit anyway. Did as you instructed but still showing error when I try to activate -400.

My FSX shows steam addition, would it be any different if I install STEAM from their website?

Max

Hi Max,

Plse clarify - What item shows 'steam edition'? - FSX (which based on what you posted earlier is the boxed version) or the -400. Where did you purchase/download the -400 and are you able to ID what version it is from the purchase/webshop info.

Possible solutions (based on assumptions whilst we await the answer to the above question)....

If your FSX is the boxed version and the -400 is the steam version:

AFAIK items specifically stated as for FSE-SE (i.e. steam version) only MAY not work with the boxed version, whereas many of products designed for the boxed version can be installed into the steam version. Although the steam version is based on the boxed edition of FSX Gold (i.e. the Deluxe version of FSX with the Acceleration Addon included) they have may some updates that some Steam only products may take advantage off - see HERE for details of the updates made.

SOLUTION:

Option 1 - Contact the vendor and see if you can swap out -400 steam version for the -400 boxed FSX version. However, bear in mind that it may still not work as it doesn't for a minority of users as indicated in the linked page given by il88pp at post #13. The reason for this will most definitely be related to an individual's PC and its setup. Most likely, IME, this will be due to other missing core OS related libraries (of which C++ 2008 is one example) that FSX and thus addons, needs.

Option 2 - Purchase/Install the Steam version of FSX and try install the -400 again.

If your FSX is the Steam version and the -400 is the non steam version:

Option 1 - Contact the vendor and see if you can swap out -400 boxed FSX version for the -400 steam version.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

I placed FSX front page that says Steam edition. I downloaded it from two CDs. They don't say Steam Edition though. The -400 add-on I bought and downloaded from PMDG.

I looked at PMDG website with compatibility. -400 doesn't work with Win 10. On my old laptop I upgraded Win to 10 myself, maybe that's why PMDG works. But it crashes a lot.

Thank you for your help,

Max

Capture.PNG

Hi Max,

Yes, your version is the regular version - either the Standard version or Deluxe version. The box should tell you what version it. In the Steam version there would be a 'Steam Edition' sub logo directly under the Flight Simulator X logo located at top left.

WRT to the -400 issue - it is worth noting that PMDG actually says that only a minority (about 1% in their estimations) can't get it running under Win10. As I stated in post #17, its most likely down to individual PC setups.

Another possible reason that it is failing to install may be due to 'un-registered' or 'incorrectly registered' OS related dynamic link library files. These files, which have a .dll extension, are accessed by many programs and basically they contain instructions that programs can call upon to do certain things.

See HERE for more info. I know that the info is related to a different error message but it is still relevant as it is another 'Access Denied' variation. It may help you get the -400 installed.

One thing I will say is that you may need to use Admin rights to run the process. If so, substitute the given procedure to access the Run cmd box with this one:

1. Right Click on the Start Menu Icon.

2. Select the Command Prompt (admin) option from the list.

Regards

Brian

Hi Max,

Sorry to hear that. A final suggestion....

Having taken a closer look at the file screen shots and re-reading of the thread I notice that you have changed the compatibility tab settings to Vista. As the stated min specs for the product on the PMDG website is Win 7, I suggest changing the settings to either Win 7 or disabling compatibility mode altogether and then retry the install.

Regards

Brian

From the link I posted earlier you have seen that what OS you have makes a lot of difference. So, what version of Windows do you have, was it installed fresh or as an update of a previous Windows version.

Also, what computer do you have exactly. Model, make, specs, etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]