GPS blacked out, textures disappearing

TheRedBadger

I've had this issue before, but I don't know how I've fixed it. I'm afraid there's an FS9 reinstall in my future, again..

I looked up a previous thread of mine, but it's useless, and actually different.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?299839-GPS-is-blank

This time it appears to be some sort of memory leak as opposed to what may just be "missing fonts". I've had similar issues before, my hypothesis is there's an FSX gauge or texture involved that's causing this, but it's likely to be starting from the GPS. I've already removed some gauges that were a part of a panel installed for an L1011 (rest assured if that's responsible I won't be using it again...), but the GPS issue and memory leak persists.

Here's what I have so far in conclusion: GPS blank, textures begin to disappear, it's probably an addon with FSX stuff.

https://imgur.com/a/7bEztnD

Even without loading the aircraft, it appears to still be affecting the sim adversely.

It happens in Seattle-Tacoma, observed only here, not in AUS, or SAT, I don't know why....

It also only happens during certain times of the day (early). I really think it's an AI texture or something but I don't know...

And now I've sort of figured it out, although it may not even be relevant and the problem may still be lurking. When I remove the afcad I have for SEA, I no longer see a memory leak. I thought it was my newer afcad but putting an older one still screws with the dang simulator. Maybe an aircraft texture that doesn't pop up sometimes because there's no room for it to spawn? I already removed Thomas Cook Airlines from the equation entirely (my latest AI installed) which flies into SEA, but yeah the problem persists...

Edited by TheRedBadger
Carlos Si

Do you have any landclass files in that Seattle scenery folder? Some computers can generate a memory leak if that scenery folder has a texture folder alongside it. Try temporarily removing any landclass file (often starts with LC). And try removing any of those from all your addon scenery folders (search for LC).

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Do you have any landclass files in that Seattle scenery folder? Some computers can generate a memory leak if that scenery folder has a texture folder alongside it. Try temporarily removing any landclass file (often starts with LC). And try removing any of those from all your addon scenery folders (search for LC).

I've pretty much (after a lot of consolidating) isolated the issue to be one particular texture; an Atlas Air 763 texture, but it looks fine... like it's a bmp file. I may just re-download it and hope it works. It's worked before (so I think, I've had it for a while), I don't know why it would decide to break down all of a sudden.

For now I just had the aircraft.cfg pick the other texture file in the same aircraft (there's two textures; both the same, but one has a different registration).

So yeah the texture appears to be the immediate culprit. What caused it to act like an FSX texture, I'm not sure.

Carlos Si