New system advice needed.

Hello everyone,

The time has come that I really need a new computer.

I currently own a laptop with the following specs:

i7 6700HQ @ 2,60 to 3,20 GHz

Geforce GTX 960m 4gb

8 gb DDR4 RAM

I own P3D v4, but just can‘t get it to run smooth. The PMDG 737 gives me 18 FPS combined with Active Sky while the settings are set really low. FSX doesn‘t work well either and is extremely unstable. For this reason I have been stuck with FS2004 for a long while but it‘s limits are really showing, and it‘s becoming more and more difficult to keep a realistic feel to such an old sim.

So I am planning to get a new computer to run P3D v4 with the following addons:

PMDG 737NGX

REX Texture Direct + Soft clouds

ORBX Global Base

Active Sky 2016

Various airport sceneries I might buy in the future

NL2000 v5 (maybe)

I found a computer which might do the job. I couldn‘t find a lot of information about others using these specs, but this is it:

CPU: i7 8700 3,4 to 4,6 GHz 6-core (non-K variant)

GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16 gb DDR4

SSD: yes (256 gb)

HDD: yes (1 tb)

I am not planning on overclocking. Aiming to play at a resolution of 1920x1080. I also don‘t seek to max everything out as I just want a good balance between graphics and performance (although a bit of eye candy is always great, I should add).

Do you think this would be a good rig, or are there better options for around €1000 - €1200?

Thanks in advance,

and have a great day.

– Stratocaster54

Flight Simulator 2004 & P3D v4 | i5-10400F @ 4.3 Ghz | Nvidia GTX1650 4GB | 8GB DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD + 1TB SSD

I think your proposed new computer will run P3Dv4 adequately with reasonable settings. But future additions of many demanding planes and sceneries may eventually bring it to it's knees. However, I think that has happened to most of us! Flight Simulation has been good for computer sales.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Adding to what @johnost said-

Agreed, that future addons (or even sims) will eventually make your new pc feel very limited. But, those addons, along with the computers capable of running them, don't exist yet, and you'll have to pay a fortune to change that. I'm not an expert at computers, but the new one that you chose seems about as good as it will get. IMO, no point in spending an extra 200+ on 0.1GHz. Out of curiousity, why don't you want to overclock? Some processors are surprisingly more powerful after OC.