Advice needed. Will a new system like this do the job?

Twaalvis

Hello everyone,

The time has come that I really need a new computer.

I currently own a laptop with the following specs:

i7 6700HQ @ 2,60 to 3,20 GHz

Geforce GTX 960m 4gb

8 gb DDR4 RAM

I own P3D v4, but just can‘t get it to run smooth. The PMDG 737 gives me 18 FPS combined with Active Sky while the settings are set really low. FSX doesn‘t work well either and is extremely unstable. For this reason I have been stuck with FS2004 for a long while but it‘s limits are really showing, and it‘s becoming more and more difficult to keep a realistic feel to such an old sim.

So I am planning to get a new computer to run P3D v4 with the following addons:

PMDG 737NGX

REX Texture Direct + Soft clouds

ORBX Global Base

Active Sky 2016

Various airport sceneries I might buy in the future

NL2000 v5 (maybe)

I found a computer which might do the job. I couldn‘t find a lot info about others using these specs, but this is it:

CPU: i7 8700 3,4 to 4,6 GHz 6-core (non-K variant)

GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16 gb DDR4

SSD: yes (256 gb)

HDD: yes (1 tb)

I am not planning on overclocking. Aiming to play at a resolution of 1920x1080. I also don‘t seek to max everything out as I just want a good balance between graphics and performance (although a bit of eye candy is always great, I should add).

Do you think this would be a good rig, or are there better options for around €1000 - €1200?

Thanks in advance,

and have a great day.

– Twaalvis

The components here look reasonable, but is there a reason why you did NOT choose the i7 8700K over the non-K model?

The i7 8700 runs at a clock speed of 3.2 GHz, but forget about the turbo speed. The clock rate you will be getting from this one is 3.2 GHz, as far as P3D is concerned.

The i7 8700K runs at a base speed of 3.7 GHz, and from what I have seen you can overclock that to 5.2 GHz. Now, that is maybe a little extreme, but you can certainly overclock it to the other side of 4 GHz, and you will need that to get good performance from P3D.

To repeat, "turbo" and other non-permanent clock speeds do not matter, a high permanent clock rate is what you need.

Also take a good look at the RAM and the motherboard you choose. You need the fastest RAM your motherboard can accommodate, especially the so-called "CAS Latency" of the RAM needs to be as low as you can get it.

Note that you should also make sure that the BIOS of the motherboard is up to the latest level as one of the first things you do when you get the system. A BIOS update alone can give you a good performance increase.

Jorgen

I agree with Jorgen. That system will work but I fear you won 't really be happy. Sustained CPU speed above 4.5 is a big plus.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I agree with Jorgen. That system will work but I fear you won 't really be happy. Sustained CPU speed above 4.5 is a big plus.

Vic

Concur.

A laptop is a poor substitute for decent hardware. You will need to spend more than $1500 on a laptop to get even halfway decent performance.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I hope you don’t mind me jumping into this conversation?

If so, please point me in the right direction.

I am wanting to purchase or build a new PC that will enable me to run the latest flight sim programs. I am a commercial pilot just getting back after 17 years and want to use my sim to sharpen my skills. I have a bunch of the Saitek hardware, pedal, yoke, multi engine throttles, trim wheel, switches, radios, auto pilot, 5 monitors all running thru really old PC now. Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated. As for budget, under $2k would be nice if possible.

Thank you

You might want to check out cyberpowerpc.com. If you have the skills. your best bet would be to build one yourself but if not - they're a good place to start.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Assuming this will be a desktop? Consider getting at least a 2TB HD and a 500gb SSD...

I bought a CyberPowerPC gaming PC exactly 4 years ago - and have no problems with it: Back then got the Intel 6700k. It cost about $1,400, w/o the monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Prepar3d but if you're interested in just flying, your current laptop (mine has lower specs) will run FSX Steam consistently at 30 fps using older add-ons such as Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain, FreeMesh, Aime Leclercq's road textures (download from Avsim), HDE Sky textures (flyawaysimulation.com), etc. If you must have P3D, try disabling ORBX and see if it makes any difference.

I use it as my go-to entertainment when traveling and when I'm more interested in flying than enjoying VFR best-in-class scenery such as ORBX (I couldn't use this in my laptop... I removed it because I didn't feel like investigating why it adversely impacted frame rates... although I highly suspected it was due to my 5400 rpm boot drive).

Edited by nrios