Is overclocking worth it?

I've read some threads about overclocking (many of them are years old so maybe not relevant), and have learned a little bit here and elsewhere. But I'm curious if you all here believe overclocking a CPU/GPU is worth it on a flight sim computer? It would seem to me that the several additional fps you might gain from the OC might not be worth it, worth the possible risk to your hardware. I mean the difference between 30 and 35 fps is really negligible, right? Or is it a case of squeeze as much as you can out of your hardware - one extra frame, two extra frames - whatever you can get. I'm not afraid to do that if the benefit is substantial, but I'll need to learn a little more before then.

I think I'm really pushing my rig the way it is... it's running 3x32" monitors (external views), 1x20" monitor (instruments via Air Manager), 1 iPad (G1000 MFD in an undocked window), P3Dv4.5, plenty of Orbx scenery, and Active Sky. In a non cluttered, non urban area I can get between 25 and 30 fps on medium to high settings.

Here are my computer specs. If you were me would you bother trying to overclock or should I just be happy that I haven't yet burned the house down?

HP Omen pre built:

8th Gen i7 8700K @3.7GHz

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

16 Gb DDR4-2400 SDRAM

The motherboard is an HP 8307 (whatever that is)

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Hi Kirk,

you are certainly loading your computer graphics hard, are you watching the CPU and GPU temps? I think your question can best be answered by yourself, i.e. are you satisfied with its current performance? If you are, I would not consider OC. If you are not, consider that the tangible improvement is needed only when fps becomes marginal and/or graphics become jerky. I overclocked my previous computer CPU running FSX from 3.2 to 4.0 GHz and gained a roughly proportional boost in fps (20-25%), which permitted me to run much added Orbx scenery smoothly, but only on one HD monitor. However, the CPU temp ran too high, and I had to add water cooling. I have never tried to OC a GPU. My oldest son is now running games on that computer and is happy with it. Beyond that it becomes a game of playing presentation quality vs. settings, but you have probably already done that.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Hi johnost. Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to keep an eye on temps. It seems like the CPU takes the biggest hit and will peak at around 90 degrees ©. But never longer than a few seconds before coming back down. I think before I go any further I better get a more definitive answer on temps. I might discover with all I'm throwing at the thing it might be a good idea to underclock a little bit. I guess what I'd be looking for would be an improvement in more detailed areas like large airports or during rain, especially. In those situations my fps can drop to miserables levels - 10fps, 15 fps.

I've tried ditching the 2 side monitors (which really improves fps :D). But I've been flying with them for so long the experience really lacks something without them. I've also thought about offing the Air Manager to a second (oldish) computer, but I don't think that would really gain much. So my next thought was overclocking. (Plus, I've never done that before and kind of want to see what it's all about (I'm thinking of building my next computer and this seems like a good first learning step.)

I appreciate your post, it's given me more to consider. Of course, overclocking doesn't have to be permanent, so maybe I do it, see what I get, then make a decision from there.

Thanks again, johnost!

Edited by Kirk
Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Hi Kirk,

While it's nice to keep them within reason - 90C sounds hot - there is a shutoff in the CPU to stop before damage...

The 7700K and 8700K are notoriously hot chips - Intel used a sub par heat transfer material - you should investigate the "delid" process to replace same... I followed a YouTube video and it's really not that bad - I have my 7700K running at 5.0 Ghz and I have yet to exceed 65C under load...

A good CPU cooler is essential - the Noctua NH-D15S is probably the best air cooler on the market and the brand has served me well for many years...

My last build was a 2700K and I ran it at 4.7 Ghz with temps between 79C-81C under load - and it ran this way for seven years without issue...

An OC gives you the most bang for your buck - it's like night and day performance - there's no sense spending top dollar for high end components if you're not going to OC it... It's like paying for a Ferrari and driving it like a Yugo...

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
bJQZKiw.png

Hi Scott,

I didn't know that about the 7700K and 8700K. I'll be researching that this afternoon! Yeah, 90C is definitely hot. If that was idle temp or if it stayed that high I would have to do something about it.

Your opinion of overclocking is something I've seen a lot of... "You've paid the money, now get the most out of it." And this computer was pretty pricey so I certainly see that opinion as valid. It's a prebuilt computer and has liquid cooling already, but maybe it can be better.

Next step: Research the "delid" process.

Thanks!

Hi Kirk,

Here’s the video I followed and I used the “Rocket Tool” as well to crack the CPU - with minimal angst and stress...

Yeah - Intel got smarter and the 9700K used a better heat transfer material and none of this is needed anymore... Went back to solder instead of paste...

https://youtu.be/hrjvmESbsuY

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

I have read over the past few years that overclocking may shorten the lifespan of that particular chip - Do not know if this is fact or fiction, or if there is any empirical evidence. (I have the Intel 6700k which can be O/Ced, but have gotten really good results on FSX-Steam without doing it).

Thanks for the additional info, guys. I really appreciate it!

I watched the video you linked to, Scott, and several others on delidding. I have to say, and I'm not exactly sure why, that I'm really excited at the prospect of delidding my 8700K. And not even because of the possible overclocking, but just because this CPU does run hot.

I'll be heading on over to amazon after this to get the stuff. :D

This has been a very educational thread so far.

I over clocked my CPU once and as a test I flew around NY which is notorious for an FPS drop and didn't notice much of a difference. So I just pulled the OC.

With FSX or FS2004, you'd just want a CPU with good single thread processing capability. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Yeah, the CPU temp definitely has me concerned. The computer came with a water cooled system, but obviously it could be better. Now, just getting the temp down has taken precedence over the OC.

I was going to delid the thing until I remembered it was water cooled. I think I may try and keep the side off and maybe even a small fan blowing into the case.

In BIOS or the program that manages the CPU cooler, you may have to adjust the temp curve in the graph. Also, you should never blow air into your computer. You'll gain a lot of dust and you want a negative airflow with the fans in the case blowing out.