Dover AFB - unwanted refueling across the tarmac

ftldave

I've encountered an annoying problem with John Loney's Dover AFB scenery, FSX version.

Base Installation File Name: dover_afb_kdov_fsx.zip

FSX Dover Scenery Update File Name: Name: kdov_upd_fsx.zip

The entire flightline is somehow triggering refueling, which wreaks havoc for fuel burn stats and flight setups. Happens both at start, and arriving into a parking spot, with all aircraft. But, checking the scenery with ADE 1.75 shows the parking spots to be RAMP_MIL_CARGO, not refueling parking.

Simple Airport Scanner shows no dupe KDOV scenery installed, and removing all the MIL_CARGO parking spaces completely with ADE does not stop plane fuel from jumping to 100% when parking on the main flight line, from end to end of the tarmac.

I believe this scenery was originally created for FS9, then updated into an FSX scenery - Airport Studio software is mentioned in John's docs.

It's wonderful scenery, but I'm running out of ideas for stopping this unwanted free fuel. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ftldave

19dsn-c5m-flight-line.jpg

Edited by ftldave
add txt

Try adding an Exclude polygon over the apron which excludes Trigger Objects.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes, it's a trigger object.

Funny, I was just going to see if Dover was made and if not create an updated AFCAD for it. But perhaps I should now since this is an issue.

I could have a look at the AFCAD myself and see what's up, and if there's an issue I can fix it and re-upload to John Loney's credit. But seen as how John Loney just passed away last month, I don't know how I can do this without his permission.

Alas, an exclude polygon set to stop triggers, in place across the entire apron, also fails to stop the refueling. No joy.

It's FSX - BGL - not AFCAD based. I think it's just buggy from it's conversion from its FS9 origins. The inability to right click on a selected parking spot and add a fueling trigger is a sign of that, I would think.

There are other alternates out there, like MegaSceneryEarth Delaware 2017 that's available as a free demo - and included Dover AFB, but bright green textures all-year photoreal scenery next to white snow-covered land is too weird for me. SDB's now out of print Military Airfields scenery set #1 included Dover AFB, but if I remember correctly, its elevations needed fixing, with some of its runways sinking into the earth during landing. What is it with Dover???

Edited by ftldave
fix txt

Looked at the downloads (there are two) and I don't see fuel triggers anywhere. I even decompiled the BGLs and looked in the XMLs. I also checked out the other BGLs and no fuel triggers there either. However, there are six files called 0_kdov_1.bgl, 0_kdov_2.bgl, etc that I can't decompile with an FS9 or FSX decompiler. If the fuel trigger is in one of those, I don't know. Only way to find out is to temp remove those six BGLs and see what happens.

It could be the FS9 AFCAD (or BGL, whatever...) that's doing it.

I think I might just make this AFCAD myself and upload it to the library.

Hi ftldave,

I have no answer to the size or existence of the fuel trigger area, and it is a FS9 product so I don't want it in my FSX Sim even for a test.

But there may be a workaround tip to prevent triggering fuel osmosis before reaching the pumps or seeing the tanker arrive.

Here's a little suggestion, try opening an aircraft door, this should prevent refuelling. Most refuelling operations require doors to be closed before fuel trigger can work.

Hi again ftldave,

If you need to see the placement and extent of the Fuel Trigger area in FSX, you could place the line below (in Bold Blue), into your fsx.CFG under the [sCENERY] header.

You will then see a luminous green box surrounding the trigger area, wherever there is a Fuel Trigger located at an airfield. When you have finished discovering the location and size you can comment // the line out set =0 for off or just delete it.

ShowTriggers=1 //tweak in my FSX.CFG (under scenery) 1=on 0=off Fuel trigger boxes green

ShowTriggers=1 //tweak in my FSX.CFG (under scenery) 1=on 0=off Fuel trigger boxes green

Thanks for the good info, but the Dover scenery doesn't show any fuel triggers - at least none that anyone's been able to identify after close scrutiny, and that's the root problem. ADE shows no fuel triggers; none of the examined BGL files do either. Can't delete what cannot be seen. Refueling occurs across the entire parking apron, but how/why it is happening remains unclear.

In the meantime I'm returning to TeamSDB's now out-of-print Military Airfields Set #1 Dover AFB scenery, and fixed that one's problem: grass textures bleeding through the Dover runways during landings - by raising the entire airport's elevation two feet above it's original altitude, a technique others have used for scenery with the same problem. The elevation change isn't noticeable and no more runways sinking into the ground during final approach.

us-airfields-scenery.jpg

Maybe it is not a scenery issue, does this happen with all airplanes? Recommend you test with a default plane.

Also, there is nothing in FSX to prevent fueling when a door is open. In fact, if you try to open a door while your airplane is in a fuel trigger it will automatically close.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Maybe it is not a scenery issue, does this happen with all airplanes? Recommend you test with a default plane.

The entire flightline is somehow triggering refueling, which wreaks havoc for fuel burn stats and flight setups. Happens both at start, and arriving into a parking spot, with all aircraft.

Fueling occurs in the parking apron with each and every plane I've tested in John's Dover scenery.

Edited by ftldave
add txt

The default Dover AFB only has one parking spot and that's at the fuel station. If that parking spot was copied and pasted to create the others in this new scenery, that would be the cause of this problem. Perhaps deleting all the existing parking spots and creating new ones would fix it?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There are six files named 0_kdov_n.bgl

Move them out of the active scenery folder and the fuel issue goes away.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Could have swore I mentioned that. But like all my posts across the Internet no one can listen.

Actually, that is not at all what you said...

However, there are six files called 0_kdov_1.bgl, 0_kdov_2.bgl, etc that I can't decompile with an FS9 or FSX decompiler. If the fuel trigger is in one of those, I don't know. Only way to find out is to temp remove those six BGLs and see what happens.

I am saying that I do know those files are causing the issue.

Never argue with idiots.

Yeah, I didn't test to remove those files, but I kinda figured perhaps that was where the fuel trigger was. I just mentioned it for the user to be prudent and try removing those six BGLs and see what happened.