Object Placer for FSX Steam - no relevant DLL file

Ralie25

Hi all,

Have recently upgraded my system. Looking to activate the object placer again. Have unhidden files and gone through AppData etc to the fsx file under users/appdata/roaming/Microsoft/fsx but there is no relevant dll.xml file. The one that I have has no mention of an object placer. I have a dll.xml.bak file but there's no mention of the object placer there either. Have followed the instructions at this link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437716297 yet still can't get the object placer to work. Please help!

Thanks

The directions at steam seem accurate BUT I didn't see them list one "seemingly obvious" step... VERIFY that you actually have the "object_placement.dll" in the Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX\SDK\Mission Creation Kit folder. If this file or the folder isn't there, editing the dll.xml won't make things magically work. If it is, then make SURE that the path to this file is accurate in the dll.xml file. my dll.xml looks like this. Your install path will be different - My Steam/fsx is NOT in program files and it might help to write it out completely without any ..\.. shortcuts.

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Object Placement Tool

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Visual Effects Tool

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

If the dll.xml is merely missing the object placement section just copy mine but get the portion correct for you system.

If all the necessary files are there, just keep at it; you'll get there!

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Ok so just to clarify, when I go into Appdata etc from users there is an FSX and Microsoft folder but the dll.xml in there is very small and there is no mention of the object placer tool.

I do have the mission creation folder and the dll.xml in that folder has a portion for the object placer. I have added in what the steam page told me to add to the folder path which is accurate and I have changed the disabled section to false, yet still no tools menu or any sign of the object placer.

I find it strange that even after enabling hidden files that there is no dll.xml in the appdata folder under users. On my previous computer that was the magic trick, I edited the dll file to false and there it was.

Let me know your thoughts!

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml is THE file that tells the sim what DLL's are to be allowed to run. It is initially empty except for the code that tells FSX it should use this file to load various DLL's.

When you install FSUIPC the installer adds that block of code to this xml file.

When YOU want to enable a SDK tool YOU manually find the appropriate code block in the identically-named (dll.xml) files in the SDK section and add the specific sections to the APPDATA version of dll.xml.

It is confusing to see all these dll.xml files but everything in the SDK folders is a sample/example. The AppData version is the only one the sim looks at for instruction.

It seems like you were saying in paragraph 1 that you have a little dll.xml file and then in paragraph 3 you seem to say you don't have the file. ???

My dll.xml code that I showed is what that original small file looks like AFTER the appropriate sections have been added to make all the tools usable.

Hope this clarifies.

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Two things to bear in mind: First, FSX:SE doesn't automatically make a DLL.XML for you. You have to create one of your own, in the right place. Looks like you've got the place locked down, so that's not a factor. You just have to now place a DLL.XML there. Best to use NotePad, or Notepad++ to do so. Remember you need the initial part of the DLL.XML file first, THEN the part concerning your object placer, thus

Launch
dll.xml
False
False

first, then the

Object Placement Tool
False
False
..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

part.

Of course, your pathing will differ, depending on the second factor I mentioned, to wit: FSX:SE doesn't include much of an SDK. Only a simple, very abbreviated version. It doesn't include a object placer or anything like that.

What you need to do is download and install the P3Dv1.4 SDK, which you can find here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/prepar3d-v1-sdk.227/download

Once you have the SDK installed, and you can place it pretty much anywhere, OTHER THAN C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86). Windows, and Win10 in particular, will give you fits if you try to use or change just about anything in either of those two folders.

Once you have the SDK installed, you can find the object placer you desire, then put it's path in your DLL.XML file. I do not promise it'll be in the same place it was in the old FSX box version's SDK. IE: If it's not in the Mission Creation section, try the Scenery Creation section, or whatever.

Remember, the DLL.XML is very touchy about the pathing. You must type in, or copy-n-paste, the path to your object placer's dll file exactly. Capital/lower case letters, symbols, periods, spaces, everything. That's where copy-n-paste comes in handy. Just go to the top of the page it's on (the object placer's location's page), and copy the path you can see up there straight to your DLL.XmL file. Then add the name of the file to the end, like this:

C:\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

This is an example ONLY. It's from my DLL.XML. Your path will most likely be different.

I hope this helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for your help guys! Pleased to say I am now seeing the tools menu appear with the object placer. Only problem is Abacus won't let me download scenery shortcut - must be a problem with their site as it won't let me add anything to the shopping cart. Is there any other way to convert the xml file to a bgl??

Hey guys,

So now the Abacus site is down completely - I can't find any way to convert the files to BGL. Any ideas for an alternative to scenery shortcut? Needing to convert the files to BGL so I can see them in the sim, as I'm sure you're aware!

Thanks