Language.dll

I decided to D/L David "OPA" Marshall's language dll to abbreviate the "Parking Brakes" and "Overspeed" messages. I installed with no problem, deleting the OEM dll and replacing it with his. I fired up FSX and went to my selected default aircraft which was the Embraer E-190. I hit Ctrl/E and both engines started. I did my flight and exited FSX. On the next go around, I selected the default DC-3. I again used Ctrl/E to start the engines, but this time they failed to start. Plenty of fuel, battery and avionics were on. I tried again. No start. I then selected the default C-172. Same result. No start. I then went back to my E-190 and hit Ctrl/E and it started. Back to the DC-3 and a no start. I then replaced OPA's dll with the OEM dll. Still no start on the DC-3 or C-172. I then ran the Acceleration Repair function and then the DC-3 and C-172 started normally.

My question. Does anyone know if OPA's dll has an effect on other dll's or FSX files, on piston powered aircraft that might be causing these no starts?

Well, I tried in vain to find a program that actually works to compare two DLLs. I'm going to do some more research. I used Resource hacker to look at the DLL and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. But I need a non-hex DLL comparison program just to see the differences. Opa probably used Resource Hacker to make this DLL.

Well, I tried in vain to find a program that actually works to compare two DLLs. I'm going to do some more research. I used Resource hacker to look at the DLL and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. But I need a non-hex DLL comparison program just to see the differences. Opa probably used Resource Hacker to make this DLL.

Great. Please let us know what you find out.I'd love to know what files are being altered by using his language dll alternative and why it is just affecting piston powered aircraft. Turbines have no problem starting.

Edited by miatamariner

Have serious doubts you’ll find anything wrong with the DLL after all these years (RIP David).

How’s your default flight set up?

Wim

I doubt that there is anything at all wrong with the way OPA constructed this dll. I'm just trying to figure out what is happening to my setup when I installed his dll.

Is your FS installed outside of the programs folder by chance? If not it should be.

No. It is installed in Programs x(86). Whenever I have to do a re-install, I will place it under the C drive.

If yours is in that location, would you try his dll and let us know if you can start a piston aircraft.

I'm just trying to figure out what is happening to my setup when I installed his dll.
So am I.

In your OP you’re like insinuating your default flight is set up with an Embraer E-190, not a default aircraft. A bad idea.

But it’s not clear to me if it is actually that way.

So can you either confirm or deny, please?

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

So am I.

In your OP you’re like insinuating your default flight is set up with an Embraer E-190, not a default aircraft. A bad idea.

But it’s not clear to me if it is actually that way.

So can you either confirm or deny, please?

Wim

Sure. On my recent re-install of FSX, my default flight was the Air Creation 582SL. I then selected the E-190 as my default flight.

I tried the new Language.dll and I was able to use jet powered and piston powered aircraft without issue. I even restarted the Sim and tried again, same result.

I have two conclusions:

1) When you ran the acceleration repair perhaps that needed to be run anyway do to some issue you had unbeknownst to you and now it just seems like that fixed a possible issue due to the Language.dll.

2) Because your Sim isn't installed to the root of C drive (c:\FSX), there are some issues with the built-in protection Windows uses for the programs folder.

In the case of point 1, I would go ahead and try the Language.dll again and see what happens. If you still have issues then that means it's more than likely FSX not being installed to the root of C drive or some where else outside of the default programs folder.

Another likely scenario is if you're using Win 10. That can pose all kinds of unforeseeable issues, and since I don't run 10 I have no idea what those could be.

Just to make sure. Do you have a registered or unregistered copy of FSUIPC installed and is the UIAutomationCore.dll installed to the root of FSX? These might be an issue, but I doubt it. You should have both at any rate. FSUIPC can help with issues and the UIAutomationCore.dll helps with crash to desktops.

I tried the new Language.dll and I was able to use jet powered and piston powered aircraft without issue. I even restarted the Sim and tried again, same result.

I have two conclusions:

1) When you ran the acceleration repair perhaps that needed to be run anyway do to some issue you had unbeknownst to you and now it just seems like that fixed a possible issue due to the Language.dll.

2) Because your Sim isn't installed to the root of C drive (c:\FSX), there are some issues with the built-in protection Windows uses for the programs folder.

In the case of point 1, I would go ahead and try the Language.dll again and see what happens. If you still have issues then that means it's more than likely FSX not being installed to the root of C drive or some where else outside of the default programs folder.

Another likely scenario is if you're using Win 10. That can pose all kinds of unforeseeable issues, and since I don't run 10 I have no idea what those could be.

Just to make sure. Do you have a registered or unregistered copy of FSUIPC installed and is the UIAutomationCore.dll installed to the root of FSX? These might be an issue, but I doubt it. You should have both at any rate. FSUIPC can help with issues and the UIAutomationCore.dll helps with crash to desktops.

Thanks for your suggestions and info.

To answer your questions. I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC. I am running Win 7-64. I did not have the UIAutomationcore.dll installed so I D/L'd it and put it in the FSX root folder. I installed OPA's dll but the UIautomation.dll didn't make a difference one way or the other. I had not been suffering from any FSX crashes. Obviously there is something amiss with my FSX install but I have no idea what. This is not a critical situation as I can live with it. Just a puzzling occurrence for which I do not have an answer. On my next re-install of FSX, I will install it to the C directory and see what happens.