Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Edwards AFB? No Fly Here...

1. Default Edwards AFB? No Fly Here...

Good evening, flight simmers. Hope you're having more fun then I am right now. After weeks of flying the default Mooney Bravo out of Teterboro, I decided to try something different. Since Edwards AFB was one of my favorites in FSX, I decided to relive some memories. Well, I set the plane up on Rwy 4...Went through the check list...Tried to crank the puppy up and guess what??? The engine wouldn't turn over. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the damn thing going....A total waste of my time. The exact same plane as in Teterboro. The only difference is the location. Went through the same damn checklist. That engine will NOT turn over. Fuel selector is where it should be...Got lot's of fuel. I must tell you...Prepar3d and me are not friends. Nothing but trouble since I bought it

Any suggestions????

Mixture?? Don't know Edward's elevation.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

3. Default

Hey, Mr Zippy. Anyway, the mixture was full...Airport elevation is about 2310ft...

Quote Originally Posted by Mina's Man View Post
    Hey, Mr Zippy. Anyway, the mixture was full...Airport elevation is about 2310ft...
    Maybe too rich. Try leaning it a bit.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

5. Default

OK, Zippy...I will try to lean the mixture tomorrow and let you know if this works...

6. Default

Yes, it is as Mr Zippy says, 100% Full mixture. The MooneyBravo has some quirks. I doubt very much that its environmental preventing startup.

Assuming you have your Cowl Flaps closed and your Battery, Alternator & Avionics in the on position.
    You should not need fuel pump boost switched on. The problem is that when the Mooneys engine is shutdown the mixture handle is moved into (fuel cut/shutoff position) no fuel flow no start.
    Its a matter of positioning the hand icon perfectly over the red knob to enable mousewheel or mousehand movements to move the mixture out of (fuel cut) position towards 100% full rich.

My guess is that you are rotating the starter key to start your engines, the only trouble with this in the default FSX MooneyBravo is that when the engines are shutdown the mixture comes all the way out to fuel cut / shutoff.
    You must move the mixture to 100% Full rich manually (don't ram it through the firewall in frustration). If you were to use CTRL+e to start your engines this would happen automatically, mixture full rich engines fire almost immediately.
    The next problem with the Mooney Bravo is the Mixture handle (Red knob) it is fairly sloppy in its action, and needs to be moved with exaggerated mouse movement. Sometimes the action area over the red knob does not respond to movement via mousewheel or the hand is not positioned properly in the on the right part of the knob, when the hand is placed over the knob or it moves very slowly in small increments when using mousewheel. An alternative method, if you move your mouse over the knob until you see the hand icon then click with left mouse button moving the hand up and left almost till it reaches the Fuelflow display, it should be all the way in 100% Full rich, you can let the mouse go at this point and turn the key starter, the engine should fireup almost immediately.
    Same exaggerated movement down and to the right for leaning/Full lean or use the mousewheel over the knob after startup or during flight.

I'm very new to all this, so if my suggestion is extremely noob-esque, I apologize.

Wouldn't hitting <Control> + E set everything in the aircraft where it should be in order to start the engine, then automatically start it? I think it does, and that would tell you if the engine is manually startable and you just don't have something correctly set.

I sometimes have trouble starting my single prop aircraft. When this happens and I just want to fly, I'll hit <Control> + E just so I can get going.
    "Fight for the centerline," they say. I'm fighting! I'm fighting!

It should on all the default aircraft, Kirk, but there are some add-ons where the developer elected to not have that work, instead requiring more complication.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

9. Default

Thanks, Jethrom... You mentioned in your helpful explanation using the CTRL>E key combination. Well, I haven't tried that yet, but if all else fails, I will. I'm getting too old now to let Prepar3d/FSX irritate the hell out of me.

10. Default

Thanks, "Capt" Kirk Sometimes the simple ways are the best ways. I haven't flown yet today, but when I do, I think it'll be Ctrl>E for me. If that works, then that's it. Like I said to "Jethrom"...I'm getting too damn old to let this stuff drive me crazy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast