End of runway turning circle.

ColR1948

How many times do you see an ai aircraft back-track down the runway to turn at the end, then when it does instead of turning in the circle marked out with concrete it turns on the opposite side on the grass?

Even if the concrete is on both sides it ignores it and still turns on the grass, then you see another aircraft behave as it should at the same airport. I used to think it was a bad design of the afcad but now I think there must be something in the aircraft, but what?

It's no big deal but I would like to know as I'm sure a few others would too, is it a quick tweak of the config to rectify?

Col.

No quick tweak. But yes, you can increase the steering angle so the plane has a greater turning radius in the aircraft.cfg file.

Backup the original aircraft.cfg, then open the aircraft.cfg you want to change with your favorite text editor such as Notepad.

Go down the list until you find the [contact_points] section.

Find the proper Point. which is the nose gear. Example: This is the Airbus 321 which is

point.0=1

Look across the point.0=1 to the 7th number which is 55.92. That is the steering angle for the nose wheel. You can increase the number of your plane up to 90 degrees.

point.0=1, 43.00, 0.00, -9.70, 1600, 0, 1.442, 55.92, 0.6, 2.5, 0.9, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 220.0, 250.0

This is what the numbers mean from left to right

//0 Class

//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)

//2 Lateral Position (feet)

//3 Vertical Position (feet)

//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)

//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)

//6 Wheel Radius (feet)

//7 Steer Angle (degrees)

//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)

//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio

//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)

//11 Gear Extension Time (seconds)

//12 Gear Retraction Time (seconds)

//13 Sound Type

//14 Airspeed limit for gear retraction (KIAS)

//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

Or you can just use the brakes to tighten the radius, assuming you have set left and right brakes separately.

At first thought it sounds like the taxi or runway paths because that's in fact what AI follow. I can't say I ever experienced this behavior before. And when I make AFCADs that I upload here that have runways like that, I make sure to draw a correct taxi path on the outcrop pavement so to speak from the runway so AI use it as they should. And then I test my creation looking for errors and I see AI use the taxi paths like they should in real life.

I really don't know what's going on here. I'd have to look at the AFCAD and see if three's something there that the AI is following.

Any particular airports here in the library that exhibit this behavior so I can have a look at them?

Common sense, logic and reason just dictates to me AI is following some ghost path. Because what ever path is there that's what AI will follow. Though, perhaps there's like a buffer zone or something left and right of aircraft centerline that they can maneuver back and fourth from beyond the taxi/runway paths.

You wouldn't happen to have duplicate airports installed, would you? Fire up Everything.exe, type in the ICAO in the search field and see if more than one AFCAD exists. https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Note that some airports have an ICAO name for the BGL, but those may also be for objects, etc. So do some sleuthing and best guessing or drag the BGL into ADE and see if it displays the airport. If not, you have an object BGL placement file.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Hi Aaron, no duplicates, as I said some follow the correct path and some don't at the same airport, this is what makes me think it is some line in the aircraft.cfg but I may be wrong.

I used to make and correct a lot of AFCADS in FS9 using the old afcad program, but when I try it in ADE for FSX it saves the correction as a project not as a BGL, I must be doing something wrong there as well lol.

I dislike back-track airfields and I used to put a new taxi path to the end of the runway, also saves a lot of time for landing and takeoff aircraft.

Col.

Hi COL, you have to close FSX before you can compile your bgl-file in ADE. Perhaps this was the message you got.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

apparently the message was I hadn't got the path set correct, I modified and an airfield and complied it, I started FSX and watched an ai but it didn't use the modified taxi path I just did, also this is what it saved in the Addon Scenery folder:

afcad mod.jpg

Col.

To be honest I never noticed the rebuilding scenery.

It did save those two files in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.

Col.

Have you checked the Addon Scenery folder being activated in yr Scenery Library?

Stupid question, I know, but it has happened before it wasn’t...

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

After a change with ADE and a compile this change and restarting FSX you get a short message the scenery will be reworked (rebuilt). Edited by Flattermann

Here's what I do when I work on airports:

I copy the bgl file for the airport to a folder where I can work on it safely, then make a backup copy "somewhere else". Then load the bgl into ADE (BTW: make sure you have the latest version), do what I need to do, and then compile it.

The compiled bgl now goes into the working folder, and I actually do not have to save my project, the bgl is all I need.

[quote=jorgen.s.andersen;

The compiled bgl now goes into the working folder, and I actually do not have to save my project, the bgl is all I need.

Hi Jorgen, if you have later to make another change it would be better to load the project (fi *.ad4) file instead of the last bgl-file[emoji6]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Bad idea, unless you never change/add landclass, airport backgrounds, flattens, exclusions, ...

Those are compiled into a separate _CVX.bgl file, which cannot be opened/edited.

The source ADE file should always be saved imo.

Wim

Edited by f16jockey_2

First thing to check is if FSX actually reads your modded AFCAD.

You really should see the “Rebuilding scenery...” message after compiling to an active scenery folder with ADE. If not, something is wrong.

[EDIT]Did you check the Addon Scenery folder being activated in Scenery Library?

Wim

Edited by f16jockey_2

I have Orbx scenery I wonder if that is why I can't change it, is it saved as a CVX somewhere?

Col.

Oh,oh,oh, this Col could be a problem. orbx has wunderful sceneries but to change something of them isn't easy. I had many problems doing so and will never try it again.

ORBX has its own folders and the airport_bgl often special names. They also have cvx_files but I wouldn't try to change something there.:mad:

@f16 yes the folder is active, funny thng is I made a slight mod to an airfield and it did update in the rebuild but it didn't show in the sim.

@Christian, you may be right about the Orbx, I once went on the Orbx forum and asked about a certain scenery, I was told by one of their reps how to change it, but then he said if I did I would lose all support from them in the future, so I left it.

The funny thing is he told me how to change something as I thought that was support but it seems not lol.

Col.

@f16 yes the folder is active, funny thng is I made a slight mod to an airfield and it did update in the rebuild but it didn't show in the sim.

Col.

So now it could be you have two airportBGLs. One in the ORBX own folder and one in FSX\AddonScenery\scenery... And you see the airport where your change not worked.

Try to find out if you have double airport bgls

@Christian, you were right about the Orbx, another friend offered to help with the AFCAD, he got it to work but the only way it would was to move the AddonScnery above Orbx.

Now in doing so the AFCAD worked but the scenery was messed up, ie buildings and trees on the taxiways, so it was back to how it was before, moving the AddonScenery below Orbx and deleting the new AFCAD.

Col.

@Col, right this was my experience. And so I found:

either ORBX or no ORBX.

I have some elderly freeware ORBX airports and I let them so as they were. Other freeware airports or stockairports I can make better or put them on the right place or complete them for using AI traffic. But never I do such at ORBX airports.

Sometimes I think it is a pity but it is so. I dont know why but obviously they use FSX-SDK in a other way. Perhaps it would work with PD3 but not with FSXA.

PS. Yes there are exceptions but extremely rare:rolleyes: