Scenery.cfg file missing or damaged

nabsers

Hi there,

Recently I fired up my FS2004 and to my dismay, I was greeted with a message saying "Scenery.cfg file missing or damaged". I had no clue what to do other than follow the instructions on the pop-up and reinstall, which I did twice, but I still get the same error message. I know this has been asked before, but all the threads I've found are from years ago, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with solving this?

Thanks!

Okay, I have two possible ways to get the scenery.cfg file back if it is fact missing like the pop up states.

A) Try a system restore point when you had no issues.

B) Use Shadow Copy View to search for a backup of the scenery.cfg stored in your shadow copies.

To find a file in one of your shadow copies, first pick a shadow copy from the list in the top box. Then click on the find icon shown in my screenshot and type in scenery.cfg. If that particular shadow copy doesn't have it, try another one in the list. They are all numbered.

1UphJ.jpg

Once found, right click and copy it.Then you'll paste it back into its rightful directory. Off the top of my head it's in appdata/microsoft/fs2004. I'll have to check my desktop. This directory is hidden so you'll need to go into the folder options of the Windows control panel and tick show hidden files. Another way to find the right directory is to run Everything.exe and search for FS9.cfg. Then right click that and open its path. In that folder containing FS9.cfg is where the scenery.cfg file should be placed I do believe. But now that I think of it, there may be more than one location. When I get on my desktop I'll have a look and respond.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I just realized this is a FS2004 thread. I currently don't have FS2004 installed, only FSX so I can't see what paths have the scenery.cfg file present. I know there's more than one spot where this files exists.

Edit-

Doing a little reading it looks like the scenery.cfg file is located in the main FS2004 install folder. So if found in one of your shadow copies, this is where it should be placed if missing.

Something else that crossed my mind is that I wonder if your install registry key path isn't correct. You can try this tool to help fix that.

http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

As always, scan ALL of your downloads at Virus Total. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

So looking at my FSX install, I see that it places the scenery.cfg in the following directories:

In the main folder of FSX. Mine is C:\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

So with that, just replace FSX with FS9 and perhaps this is where FS2004 also keeps all of the scenery.cfg files at.

Recently I fired up my FS2004 and to my dismay, I was greeted with a message saying "Scenery.cfg file missing or damaged". I had no clue what to do other than follow the instructions on the pop-up and reinstall, which I did twice, but I still get the same error message. I know this has been asked before, but all the threads I've found are from years ago, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with solving this?

Have a look in your main FS directory and see if the file is present at all. If so, open it in a text editor and see if it is readable or gobbledygook. If only some of it is gobbledygook you may be able to salvage it but I suspect the only practical way to replace it is to copy the on from your FS install discs and then build it up with your add-ons.

All of this assumes you don't have a backup to retrieve the file from, of course.

I do not advocate using "system restore" as it can do some pretty drastic things at times, like completely deleting every cfg file that has changed since the last restore date set.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

If you have a backup, simply copy your scenery.cfg into your main directory. If not, you may have to delete all of your add-on scenery and reload them again. Good luck. I hope you find and fix your problem.

Brigadier General Frank Savage

918th Bomb Group "Hard Luck Group"

Thank you so very much for the replies guys!

I did scour my folders for loose FS related files and deleted them, then did a whole new clean install and now my FS2004 is back up and running!

Really appreciate all the advice given here, cheers.

• 1 year later...