Thread: Go around vs Missed approach

Default Go around vs Missed approach

I get a bit confused over the difference and use of go around vs missed approach procedures. For GA the I believe the usual procedure for a go around is to fly the traffic pattern at 1000 - 1500 ft or so depending on the aircraft and airport. However, I'm not sure when to use a go around vs missed approach. I do not normally use ATC. In the case of a jet if I'm on short final and hit a wind gust my first thought is to go around. Most of the time I do instrument landings and I read somewhere that the missed approach procedure is mandatory for an instrument landing. If so is this true for jets and GA ?

Quote Originally Posted by stubby2 View Post
    I get a bit confused over the difference and use of go around vs missed approach procedures. For GA the I believe the usual procedure for a go around is to fly the traffic pattern at 1000 - 1500 ft or so depending on the aircraft and airport. However, I'm not sure when to use a go around vs missed approach. I do not normally use ATC. In the case of a jet if I'm on short final and hit a wind gust my first thought is to go around. Most of the time I do instrument landings and I read somewhere that the missed approach procedure is mandatory for an instrument landing. If so is this true for jets and GA ?
    Go Around usually refers to an aborted VFR approach.
    A Missed Approach is to do with an instrument approach.
    It has nothing to do with jets or GA, although it is more likely to find a MA following Instrument Flight Rules as a VFR approach is simply less likely with a jet...

ATC will normally call for a Go Around, no matter the approach being flown VFR or IFR. There is no such ATC call as "go missed".

To add a bit to Mallcott's description, the missed approach is actually part of the instrument approach procedure, and is spelled out on the approach plates, and even the criteria for doing a missed approach is on that plate.

The go around, whether called for by ATC or initiated by the pilot, is just aborting the landing (maybe a runway obstruction or the aircraft is not in a good position for a landing), so has no "published" procedure, but is practiced under the supervision of a flight instructor (CFI) before a student pilot even solos, plus at many other times, so that a pilot's training tells him what/how to do it, and just as important, when.

I might also note that even if you're on an IFR approach and get past the missed approach point, you still could have to do a go around, perhaps a deer strayed onto the runway, but there IS no missed approach for a VFR approach, just a go around if you decide it's necessary.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Ok I get it. Go around sounds like a generic term for an aborted flight. There are a number of ways to do another approach. I mistakenly was interpreting the term as a landing abort and approach procedure.

Go around sounds like a generic term for an aborted flight.
    Actually, it IS a "a generic term for an aborted" landing.

mistakenly was interpreting the term as a landing abort and approach procedure.
    The first half is right, but no approach procedure included.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!