Fiat G12 CA

Ha Ha Michael, yes I hardy ever put petrol in as well, it seem to run for ages. I once owner a Reliant 3 wheel van, fibre glass body, that was a bit novel.

Do you know of a DAF 3 cylinder engine car, the man who used to live next door had one, it wouldn't start normally and he had to push it and jump in to bump start it?

Col.

I saw one at a car show. Never tried to climb in. It seemed really really small!! "Push start?" "Bump start?" On yeah, been there done that!!??

I had a "Small mouth" '56 "TR-3" for a few years. It came with an electric started and a hand crank starter. The "Small mouth" or "TR-3" model was a very limited edition where Triumph combined parts from the older TR-2 and the soon to be released TR-3A to make product to sell before the changeover was completed. Among the carryover parts for the TR-3 was the TR-2 flywheel.

Sadly not long after I bought the car in the mid 80's the flywheel starter gear wore out. With no new TR-2 flywheel available and the TR-3A flywheel not fitting I was stuck with no electric starter. The starter motor would turn but would not crank the engine over.

Luckily, there was no problem starting the car with the crank as long as it was already warm. So while out and about I could easily crank start it, usually with one crank, and happily drive away. Sadly, the same couldn't be said when the engine was cold. You'd end typically up in a lather of sweat from cranking before it fired.

When I put the car away for the night or longer I always backed it into a barn out back which had a fairly steep incline leading into it and a big grass field on the other side of the drive. My preferred cold start procedure was to open the driver door lean over and push the car forward, then jump in and pop it into 2nd gear while on the incline, it usually fired right up!. However if I didn't get in quickly enough and pop the clutch, the car would just roll to a stop in the grass.

Plan B was to hand crank until your back hurt and you needed a shower in the hope it started. Or worst case, push the car back into the barn with the tractor and repeat the whole process.

I'm way too old to even consider either option now!! But the guy who bought it from me still shows up at shows from time to time. Most folk in the US have never seen a "Small mouth" or a TR-2. So it always has been a big attention draw.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I worked around a vendor guy in the 90's that was into Beanie Babies?? On business trips to Europe, Japan, even just around Michigan he was more interested in buying/trading Beanie Babies than doing the job he was sent there to do.

Even though he was third generation management in the company, they finally let him go. My only question was/is, why did it take them that long??

Michael

HAHA That's pretty good.

Back in around '99 I had a roommate in school who owned and collected tons of Poke - me - mon (Pokemon) trading cards. I thought the whole cartoon was massively stupid. Then one day we decided to go to the mall (remember those?) and he said he needed some cash. So he brought a couple of his Pokemon cards, went to the card shop and got around $400 for them I believe. I couldn't believe it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha Ha Michael, yes I hardy ever put petrol in as well, it seem to run for ages. I once owner a Reliant 3 wheel van, fibre glass body, that was a bit novel.

Do you know of a DAF 3 cylinder engine car, the man who used to live next door had one, it wouldn't start normally and he had to push it and jump in to bump start it?

Col.

Ah yes! A cousin of mine in Scotland had a Reliant. The two of us inside was a car full!!

Edited by Rupert

I remember I wanted to post this one:

Cant:

Please click on the pic to enlarge:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]227541[/ATTACH]

Nice tri-motor Jan!! IMO It had two things going for it. First it was still on the ground. Second, there's no obvious water nearby for you to crash into! ;)