Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HELP! Weird loss of airspace access

Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    A full repair would probably mean having to reinstall addons after.

It could be that the problem is not missing files. It could be as simple as not having all default areas active in the scenery library. (or maybe you removed some entries.).
    Use the scenery library menu to add those areas back in or to activate them.
    How to use the scenery library menu is explained here:
    http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/Learni...y_library.html
    If the sceneries were removed from the library or deleted he wouldn;t get a CTD. His system is corrupt. The simplest way to start is do a repair install as mentioned. You will probably have to reinstall some addons. Bite the bullet - follow Malcott's advice.

Also, CRJ_Simpilot is correct - stay away from sleep mode or hibernation if at all possible. It works quite well most of the time but when it doesn't - it's not worth the trouble.

Good luck,

Vic
    P3D Rig
    I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/531372-repair-p3d/
    or
    http://www.prepar3d.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122478

The order of my advice is important. Only repair ORBX after carrying out the base sim repair.
    OK, but neither link tells someone HOW to do a base repair. It says you do it "through the Control Panel." OK, but what control panel, and how do I access it? (It can't possibly be the Windows 10 CP, right?)

The second link is easier to understand, especially the advice from Ms. Dixon of P3D, but she seems to require that I delete all P3D files from the 4 locations, and says that these will be "regenerated" when I "run P3D." Maybe I'm sort over my head here, but it seems to me that if you delete all the P3D files, you can't very well "run" it.

I appreciate your patience.

Mac6737

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    .....these will be "regenerated" when I "run P3D." ….
    What is meant by this statement is that the files can be deleted because when you run the sim again they will be automatically recreated.

A number of files in FS products act this way. They are often files that are not created during the initial installation process of the main program. They are only created when you first run the sim.

Examples of such files vary according to the sim being used but common ones are the main sim .cfg file (i.e FSX.cfg, P3D,cfg etc), Scenery.cfg, Pilots Logbook, Controller assignment etc.

If you are worried about deleting them you could make copies of them and store them somewhere outside of the main sim folder.....
    Regards

Brian

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by longbreak754 View Post
    What is meant by this statement is that the files can be deleted because when you run the sim again they will be automatically recreated.
    Brian,

Thank you. So you are saying that after these files are deleted or stashed somewhere else, there will still be a P3D icon on which I can double-click, right?

But my first question was of greater importance. The links from Mallcott don't tell you HOW to do a repair, and the first one deals with problems I don't have . . . yet. Since my post, I discovered that there is a "repair" option when you right-click on the P3D app in Windows Control Panel. But I fear using it, because I don't know what it is supposed to do, or what it will do. At the moment, P3D is performing flawlessly beyond the affected areas of the planet.

Why, oh why, Does Lockheed not publish a User's Manual? As it happens, I live within walking distance of their corporate HQ here in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Maybe I should handcuff myself to the reception desk until they help me.

Mac6737

Brian,

Thank you. So you are saying that after these files are deleted or stashed somewhere else, there will still be a P3D icon on which I can double-click, right?

But my first question was of greater importance. The links from Mallcott don't tell you HOW to do a repair, and the first one deals with problems I don't have . . . yet. Since my post, I discovered that there is a "repair" option when you right-click on the P3D app in Windows Control Panel. But I fear using it, because I don't know what it is supposed to do, or what it will do. At the moment, P3D is performing flawlessly beyond the affected areas of the planet.

Why, oh why, Does Lockheed not publish a User's Manual? As it happens, I live within walking distance of their corporate HQ here in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Maybe I should handcuff myself to the reception desk until they help me.

Mac6737
    There IS a user manual. Actually two, one is the Learning Center and the other is the SDK.

If you follow the instructions and delete ONLY the files and folders specified, the core of P3D is still there. You may have to reinstall some addons and restore any changed settings.

Using the repair option will restore P3D to it's initial state when you first installed it.

Vic
    P3D Rig
    I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

.....still be a P3D icon on which I can double-click, right?.....
    Yes. The icon will still be there and will still function because it is aligned to a file created during the initial install - usually a file that has a .exe (short for executable) or, sometimes, a .bat (short for batch) extension.

As Vic has stated in post #15 - follow the instructions and only delete those files/folders specified and you will have no issues.....
    Regards

Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2