Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Long stutters, freezes -- SSD as a fix?

If you take a look at L-M's P3D support pages, you'll see a lot of various issues with ORBX under P3D.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    If you take a look at L-M's P3D support pages, you'll see a lot of various issues with ORBX under P3D.

Jorgen
    I've read quite a bit of that. The two definitely don't always play nice together.

There's something to be said about flying without 3rd party scenery... better fps, faster start up, fewer compatibility issues, etc. Not as pretty to be sure, but if it's about the flying, and learning to fly, maybe it's worth the trade off. I may end up giving that a try. I miss the flying part of this whole thing. I haven't done much in the past several days.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions and support!
    "Fight for the centerline," they say. I'm fighting! I'm fighting!

Something else to consider, but does involve a bit of a risk...Anti-virus software. AV software continuously scanning everything that is ever read from the thing can overwhelm the system too, causing freezes. Saturated scenery (like ORBX, but not specifically their stuff) means more data flow throughout your whole system. One little bottleneck and POOF, here comes a freeze while the system catches up.

I do have my Prepar3D installed on an SSD, including all my ORBX scenery and airports. The SSD is exclusive to flight sim stuff. I also have my AV software set to completely ignore this drive, no scans, no live scans of files at read time, etc.

As others have mentioned, make sure your system is optimized with the previously mentioned guides. Even though I had completed optimizing with these guides, I had periodic freezes for about a second and then scenery would "pop" in...disabled my AV and everything went smooth. Now I have it ignore EVERYTHING under this single SSD.

Of course, there is that risk some sort of malware can get in. I perform manual scans of that drive.
    Since it is a dedicated sim cockpit computer, I can keep it fairly isolated.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post

Jorgen
    I've used ORBX with every version of P3D right up to 4.5 Hotfix 2 and NEVER had any of these problems - I run the systems for a number of real pilots and it's the first choice.

Especially with ORBX Central v4.x, you HAVE to know what you are doing and avoid the temptation to hit buttons at random...

Simple as that: The two play very nicely together when one knows what one is doing - I recently installed Hotfix 2 into P3D and actually used a complete reinstall method. ORBX took less than fifteen minutes to reinstall onto a virgin P3D installation...

Old buddy, I am taking the liberty of copying:

"you HAVE to know what you are doing" - ain't that the truth.

Jorgen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2