Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can't see the ground during takeoff

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    So, what speed are you climbing at?
    ... Try 110-120 kts and see the effect on climb rate...
    I expect that works at sea level, with just a somewhat reduced climb rate, but you may not GET 120 KIAS in cruise at 5000 and up (maybe not 120 MPH, depending on model), let alone climb, and on a hot day your climb rate with two people aboard might only be 100-200 fpm at 85 kts, perhaps requiring you to go to Vy, which puts you back in the low 70s for IAS.

So the idea of a cruise climb is a good one, but the details will vary depending on density altitude, which in Denver on a hot day can be over 9,000 feet.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

This is such a basic newbie question, I know, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but sitting in a Cessna 172 (in my sim) I can't see the ground during takeoff due to the pitch of the aircraft. Is this how it is IRL? I just want to make sure I don't need a couple of phone books to sit on.
    Can be. The 172 panel is quite high and old fashioned in that it isn't geared for forward vis. Sounds odd? There was a guy who owned a Tiger Moth at the field where I learned to fly. I saw it in the hangar in prewar RAF colours, looking very nice. It turned out my flying instructor was the same one who gave the Tiger owner his type familiarisation. In level flight, in the front cockpit, the owner kept kept lowering the nose, complaining he couldn't see forward. "You're not supposed to" Came a rather scornful response from the instructor (he told me off at least once) "Look either side of the windscreen!"

At another extreme, look at some of those 20's or 30's air racers. No forward vis at all! Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic with only a periscope for forward vision.

I was advised as a student pilot to lower the nose from time to time on long climbs to make observations. More modern aeroplanes sometimes have smaller diameter instruments or a condensed 'glass' panel, which allows better forward visibility in the design.

What a great story, caldrail! Thanks for that.
    Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2