External gpu?

cooperwarner8

Hi all,

Hope you’re all doing well!

I run P3D on my iMac with boot camp (yes I know 😞 but I can’t change it)

My GPU is the thing that’s affecting my performance the worst as the processor and memory are still within range at by current settings

i am thinking of getting an external GPU, which sold have a Radeon RX Vega 56 with 8gb of HBM2 memory which is compatible with Mac and is double the gpu memory of what I currently have

my question is would I see any performance improvement with this external gpu?

My Specs are

3.0GHz 6-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz

RAM: 8GB

Radeon Pro 570X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

1TB Fusion Drive

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM

1TB Crucial SSD

What exactly is an external GPU? Are you referring to a dedicated GPU over your GPU that's in the CPU? Also called integrated graphics? If so, then a dedicated GPU should help I guess. Not sure since I don't run P3D. I know in FSX or FS2004, a GPU is largely null and void when it comes to performance since both of those Sims are CPU orientated. But in P3D I guess a GPU can be more utilized due to their upgraded code.

What exactly is an external GPU? Are you referring to a dedicated GPU over your GPU that's in the CPU? Also called integrated graphics? If so, then a dedicated GPU should help I guess. Not sure since I don't run P3D. I know in FSX or FS2004, a GPU is largely null and void when it comes to performance since both of those Sims are CPU orientated. But in P3D I guess a GPU can be more utilized due to their upgraded code.

He's talking about external GPUs that connect over Thunderbolt 3. They're external to the iMac itself. Provided they are compatible with Windows running in Boot Camp, they should provide better performance than the internal GPUs.

He's talking about external GPUs that connect over Thunderbolt 3. They're external to the iMac itself. Provided they are compatible with Windows running in Boot Camp, they should provide better performance than the internal GPUs.

Well, goes to show you how much I know about Macs.

It isn't exclusive to Macs. A number of Windows laptops also use Thunderbolt ports to allow for more powerful GPUs when at home or in the office.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-core-x

Well how be. Kinda like an ASIC.

Very interesting. Just found out my gaming desktop motherboard has a Thunderbolt add-in card connector. Not too sure what that is. I'm assuming that's the Thunderbolt connector right there that I can utilize?

Edit-

Looks like there is Thunderbolt 2 and 3. Are they backwards compatible?

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Yes, they are backwards compatible, however, and adapter is needed. Thunderbolt 2 typically uses a port that is physically identical to Mini DisplayPort (which usually did carry both video and data). Thunderbolt 3 uses the same port as USB-C. Here's a good overview.

https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-difference-between-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-3

The add-in card would give you the actual ports. Not sure what the connector would be for. Possibly power or USB-C connections.