Southern Lights Found in Fs2002!

CTarana45

I had fly below the 80* South Latitude, and reset the time but I did find the Aurora australis ,Southern Lights! I got one good screenshot from the cockpit. They are as bright as the Northern Lights! Now all I need to find are shooting stars!

Christopher Tarana

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I use to do a column for The Old Hangar website called "Jonesing With Indy, Archealogy using Fs98 and Fs2002" In the Fs2002 texture folder I found a texture named Submarine.bmp. In the image is a German UBoat! That started my search for Fs2002 landmarks! I wondered at one point you can navigate by Stars? On the Astronomy Software side I'm using, Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel, Celestia, and WinStars 2. :pilot:

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

I use to do a column for The Old Hangar website called "Jonesing With Indy, Archealogy using Fs98 and Fs2002" In the Fs2002 texture folder I found a texture named Submarine.bmp. In the image is a German UBoat! That started my search for Fs2002 landmarks! I wondered at one point you can navigate by Stars? On the Astronomy Software side I'm using, Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel, Celestia, and WinStars 2. :pilot:

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

Small world, I used to do Nav/Electronics on submarines. That was one of the things that got me into FS in the first place, could I still navigate over long distances? :pilot:

There were folks who claimed they could do celestial nav in FS (dig around in the old, old FSFW95 section and you might find something) but outside of finding Sirius when you want to head north, there were some problems I still haven't figured out:

Sextant- Never mind making an averaging sextant for FS, how would you get tighter than 1 degree accuracy? :confused:

Star charts- There are some nice edits of the star field available for FS2002 and FS9, but how accurate are they, really? WHEN were they created? That date and time is important.

The bubble- Believe it or not, this is the killer for Celestial in FS. What does "level" mean to FS and how does it measure being "level" accurately?

So, it comes down to how small one pixel is. On scenery terrain it isn't an issue, when it shows something that could be 100 light years away, it becomes important.

BTW, I highly recommend a book titled "Flying from the Black Hole (the B-52 Navigator Bombardiers of Vietnam)" by Robert O. Harder. Most of the book deals with the ARCLIGHT and LINEBACKER missions but the first quarter of the book is a really good history about how aircraft navigate over long distance.

PS- I knew there was a reason I liked your posts. :D

Hmm, like-minded folk in this forum! I too have been into amateur astronomy since an infant (growing up in the country, with very dark skies). Not surprising, any aviator would have to appreciate the sky, after all, we all look up. (My joke, to the fella skiting about his new big screen TV, I say in reply "yeah, I got a big screen, bigger than yours mate, mine shows half the universe, just look up"! I've never read or got into how the traditional navigators - seafaring and aviators, could do those amazing long journeys with celestial navigation, it's quite amazing. That "dead reckoning" thing, with an occasional fix to check the calcs. We seem to have forgotten much more than our modern technology makes us believe we've got nowadays, what with the GPS on everything. Mind you, I prefer the modern vs the old, e.g. this Internet thingy is quite amazing, I can watch the SpaceX crew launch in very high res from my lounge room. And chat to you guys ...

There is a Sextant gauge for Fs2004 available here! The FAA is giving away free Ebooks again. The Instrument Procedures Handbook, Plane Sense, and The Pilots Handbook Of Aeronautical Knowledge! There is also a Wiki article on Celestial Navigation I copied!

Thanks, Rob!

Christopher Tarana