Legal gobbidy-gook for developers. Question

I would like to know from staff of flightsim.com what is the legal right of freeware?

For modification/repainting etc.

it is free to do so, but you have to give full credit for the original skin/model/package... right?

Is there a place on Flightsim.com that pertains to this?

Thanks

N.A Miller

Lead Admin/Repainter/Developer

FlightSimX Co. Gaming Group/VNASA

99.8.84.167:9987

I don't give legal advice (not a lawyer, etc. etc.), but I would suggest that often the readme or other text files included with freeware will give you a clue to what is proper for that particular item. Freeware is free as far as money goes, but still can be copyrighted with whatever restrictions the creator wants. There IS a separate term called free software (free as in freedom) which can be modified under the terms included with it, which also need to be checked.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Using the drop-down for the File Library, click on upload and read through the "legal gobbledygook" for uploading anything to the Flightsim.com Library. That should be a good start for you!

Legal stuff.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• Founder

Being freeware only means that there is no cost to use the software in its intended manner. You should assume that copyright still applies and the author retains all rights no different from software you had to pay for. If the author has chosen to give up some rights he will say so in the docs included.

The safest thing is to assume that you have no rights to modify, expand on, combine, etc. unless the original author specifically says it is OK to do so.

It's also not a bad idea to simply ask. Many authors are happy to have their work improved on or extended if you ask them first.

Most if not all library items contain a read me file and in there should state the copyright, etc if they have one.

In my read mes I just say file is public domain. So I don't really care if it's modified and re-uploaded, etc. I just uploaded minor AFCAD improvements so I don't see a copyright of some sort being warranted.

Thank you all... i will endeavor to research further. I had been freeware developing for a while but i have forgotten most of the restrictions involved. Having a TBI did not help, losing ones self to a brain injury. It has had its moments, not being able to do this stuff that i really like to do... and finally after many years got back into it. Having to re-learn all of it.

Your comments have been golden to set me on at least a path and a direction to look.

N.A Miller, Lead Admin

(FlightsimX Co. Gaming Group -- TS: 99.8.84.167)