Yet another FS9 annoying and mysterious malfunction!

Roger Wensley

Any ideas on why, when I select a previously saved flight involving a float plane parked at the dock on water, I find the plane leaping into the air and throwing itself around the sky? Or the same thing happening when I land on water and then turn off the engine? This is happening with planes that I have previously had no problem with, so is it my water texture setting? Or something else to do with the water? I haven't meddled with the planes in any way so it should be water related and not the planes.

Having written that I realised that I hadn't tried out other float planes. So I did, and discovered that it was not true of them all. Which means that it is a plane problem not water, and in particular a problem with the Aerosoft Beaver. And even more particularly with the Beaver amphib with a modern cockpit. Maybe the setting for where the waterline should be on the floats? Though as I said before, I haven't changed anything like that so why it should be happening now.........

Hi,

This is usually a problem with the static_cg_height line in the Contact Points section of the plane's aircraft.cfg file. This is the height FS places the plane when it loads it and in Slew mode.

You can often test for this problem by going in and out of Slew mode (Y key). If it doesn't start out just a tiny bit above where it should be and settle quietly onto the water then that should be edited to make it so.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Tom, I figured out why it happens but not how to fix it. When I use slew mode above land or water it is at the height that allows it to then drop gently down onto the wheels when I press Y. This, of course is at a height far higher than is required for it to drop gently down into water and use the floats. Changing the floats contact points do not change this "hover" height as it doesn't know until it drops whether it is heading for land or water. The floats-only version "hovers" with the floats already partially submerged, which is what made me realise this wheel height problem. So when I press Y the amphib version drops too far and bounces back up. As to WHY it is only now acting up in this way, well, I have no idea.

Sorry this can NOT be an FLOATPLANE.

IF it as AMPH than you must REVISE your wheel contact points LONGITUDIONAL, and VERTICAL !!

otherwise it jumps like a Bronco ..

Use the program ACM to do it CORRECTLY....

g. kirschstein

I am not saying it is a float plane; it is an amphibian. If I place it on land by taking it out of slew mode then it happily sits there on its wheels and does not jump at all, so I do not have to revise wheel contact points. If I do the same to place it on water it jumps. The mystery is why it jumps now, when it did not do so a year ago.

So you have read ALL ABOUT the cnt pts in the SDK. And so you can determine by that just what is causing him problem(s). Right? Don't hold back, tell us. You 'know' stuff and determined it was the cnt pts. So exactly WHAT about the cnt pts needs fixing? Any ideas?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Sorry about the negativity but I see post with 'self interest' links and no viable information. That erks me.

Roger,

The values for floats for 6, 8, 9 and 10 is what will be different from what you got and is what you need to change. 6 is wheel radius and = 0.500. 8 is static and= 0.100, 9 is max and= 4.5, and 10 is damping and=1.000. That should do it. Let us know.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Oh I forgot this: if wheel vertical is 7.800 then floats SHOULD BE 7.600 (IE: 0.200 less than any, all, gear vertical value. Then you tweak to lower it more to be more 'in' the water if you want. BUT, Floats will never be more negative than the gear vertical because they will cause sparks on asphalt.

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

On the above changes the vertical values should (OF COURSE) be NEGATIVE - DAH! (ie: -7.800 and -7.600). Sorry about that - brain hic-up.

Chuck B

Napamule

So you have read ALL ABOUT the cnt pts in the SDK. And so you can determine by that just what is causing him problem(s). Right? Don't hold back, tell us. You 'know' stuff and determined it was the cnt pts. So exactly WHAT about the cnt pts needs fixing? Any ideas?

Chuck B

Napamule

If you are talking to me than the quote button would be helpful. Plus, abbreviations are lazy.

I added the link to what all the contact points mean and the link also gives insight to what everything else does which may be helpful to the OP or someone else that may come across this thread. If one doesn't understand what the information in the link means, then they are free to ask here in this thread for a more in depth explanation. I for one can figure this stuff out using the information provided in that tell all link as I have used it myself plus the effects SDK explanation link. But perhaps some people just can't be lead to water and need a little help.

Do I know it's a contact point issue? Absolutely I know it is because years back in FS2004 I have had planes bounce down the taxiway and I just knew it was something to do with the so-called contact points. So I read about the contact points in that link I provided and through trial and error I managed to get the plane to stop bouncing all over the place.

Lets not forget that part of this hobby is about learning and acquiring that information yourself without any hand holding, etc. When I provided the link that gives very good information on contact points and everything else, I thought I was doing someone a favor, but alas, no good deed goes unpunished.