this is going to sound dumb

but why do some ILS frequencies give me distance info in the cockpit and others don't?

I'm on approach to Moscow Domodedovo runway 14R tuned in to the frequency. I get the glide slope and direction diamonds, but no distance info.

Yet at other airports I do.

Ok so a little googling got me the answer, not all ILS have a DME.

Interestingly having the direction line in the middle of the instrument landed me well to the right of runway 14R - i presume that is a bug?

Some localizers are offset. This article might be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localizer_type_directional_aid

thanks, that article seems to imply that the offset is at an angle. in the case of 14R at Domodedovo I landed parallel to the runway, not only that, ATC seemed to believe I had landed correctly on the runway.

However this isn't the first time this has happened, I seem to remember landing in Gambia somewhere in similar circumstances- maybe a good reason to jot these things down when they happen.

Wait until you see a Sidestep ILS approach! I never saw one when I was learning IFR, but experienced it on a Southern Airways Dc-9 when I was around 8 years old. Riding the beam down through the overcast, the ground came into view, and then a STEEP bank to the adjacent runway, followed kinda quickly by the landing. Luckily my Dad was holding my hand the whole way down and explaining the procedure to me. It's good to be an airline pilot's kid! I think we were flying into Eglin or Ft Walton airport.

I also asked him during the flight if it was normal for the wings to be flapping up and down in a 15-20 foot arc. To this day I don't know whether it comforted me or scared the hell out of me when he said, "Yup, If they didn't relieve the stress by flexing like that, they'd just break."

WTF Dad? I just wet my britches again!!!!

I didn't know there were any off set ILS Approaches in FSX. Do you have many scenery addons installed? Some modify the NAVAID data within FSX and you can have these kind of results. There is an update (3rd Party created) that updates the FSX magnetic variation model.

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver

I've ran into many so-called offset LOCs. I like to chalk it up to an FSX bug, but if it's like that in the real world then perhaps it too is represented in the Sim. But the offsets I've encountered were a mere 100-200 feet from center line. Why'd they do that I have no idea. Real PITA trying to land with a CAT III landing with practically no viability.

I've ran into many so-called offset LOCs. I like to chalk it up to an FSX bug, but if it's like that in the real world then perhaps it too is represented in the Sim. But the offsets I've encountered were a mere 100-200 feet from center line. Why'd they do that I have no idea. Real PITA trying to land with a CAT III landing with practically no viability.

There are NO Cat III ILS approaches with an offset...

I didn't know there were any off set ILS Approaches in FSX. Do you have many scenery addons installed? Some modify the NAVAID data within FSX and you can have these kind of results. There is an update (3rd Party created) that updates the FSX magnetic variation model.

nope, the only add on I have is AS16

thinking hard I don't think this is a sim representation. Domodedovo 14R in real life is a categry III ILS

then I shall have to land there again and see if this was a one off!

Definitions:

A category III A approach is a precision instrument approach and landing with no decision height or a decision height lower than 100ft (30m) and a runway visual range not less than 700ft (200m).

A category III B approach is a precision approach and landing with no decision height or a decision height lower than 50ft (15m) and a runway visual range less than 700ft (200m), but not less than 150ft (50m).

A category III C approach is a precision approach and landing with no decision height and no runway visual range limitation.

And this is the info for Domodedevo (UUDD):

http://vau.aero/navdb/chart/UUDD.pdf

There is no ILS for Runway 32R and certainly not a Cat II/III.

Of course, you can do whatever you like in FSX, or in designing scenery for it...

It's complicated. However, in FSX if you are using the latest ADE from Scruffy Duck, you can (if you want) open the airport file, look and see if ILS/DME is checked. If it's not, you can check it and set the range for the DME. You'll need to compile your changes and save it in the addon scenery for that particular airport. This will give you the ability to see distances on your DME equipment. May not be right (maybe the airport doesn't have dme) but it certainly works if you want to measure distances to the runway.

Maybe you flew 32R with ILS 14L tuned. You would then be flying a backcourse approach. With a backcourse approach you never have DME.

Did you intend to say "With a backcourse approach you never have a glideslope"?

Because that is a true statement.

You most certainly can have DME on backcourse approach.

Also, there is no way in the sim to differentiate between a CAT1, CAT2, or CAT3 approach.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

IMC is when IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) apply and covers a wide range of conditions, and it doesn't require CAT III in all of those. IMC is the opposite of VMC, and is when the law doesn't allow visual flight (VFR, or Visual Flight Rules), so typically when visibility is less than 3 miles and the ceiling is less than 1000 feet. Of course there are some airspaces in which the VFR requirements are different, and it's sometimes country-dependent as well.

So "next to no visibility" would be very low visibility, or it's right on the edge of "zero-zero," that is, zero ceiling and zero visibility (you can't even see to taxi), but not quite there yet.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!