With newer Nvidia 20xx "Super" GPU cards, how important is having 11GB VRAM in XP?

ghost flyer

Hi folks,

With newer nVidia 20xx Super GPU cards, how important is having 11GB VRAM in XP 11x if I want to run a few "must-have" add-ons? Eg, Orbx True Earth libraries, accurate weather, clouds, and max settings, on 3 x1080 displays? (not stretching surround, but independent renderings for each screen). Being that the new Nvidia super cards only have 8 GB of VRAM, I wonder if that means they aren't recommended for what I want to do, and therefore the only option for me is the 2080ti, (since I can't find a reasonably priced 1080ti)?

The PC that I'm building for this is: (I have most of parts, except the GPU and display monitors/TVs)

Intel - Core i7-8086K 4 GHz 6-Core Processor (hoping to OC to 5 Ghz)

Noctua - NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (plus an extra 140 fan to make dual fan configuration)

Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Intel - 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Cooler Master - MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Thanks,

Ghost Flyer

Hi.

If you can get 2080 at a reasonable price go with that. If Vulkan gets implemented you may not need it all but if the 1080 is not a good buy, just get the 2080.

That system should run just about any sim pretty well, may still not be able to max everything out but should be close, not necessarily because of the system more of the software implementation in the XP.

The most important thing for you when you assemble it is the cooling, make sure you get good heat transfer. I've seen some systems run in the 90C which too close for comfort. I try to keep everything below 70C under max load, not easy especially with the Video cards.