X-Plane v.s. FSX or FS9

duncan101

Hi.

Yes, it's easy to add Scenery, you place it in the Custom Scenery folder, run the app once and then go back and edit "scenery_packs.ini" and set the priory sequence, and Aircraft just add it to.. \Aircraft\Laminar Research or Extra.

One thing to keep in mind XP is now going through a lot of changes and most of the older acft. that are not designed specifically for a particular / latest version may not work in the latest version. The Scenery will mostly work with the new updated versions.

After you get used to it adding Scenery and acft in XP is an way simpler that in MSFS.

You can also do separate folders within the 'Aircraft' folder too for different types of aircraft.

As already said by flytv1 adding scenery is very easy, I always unzip it to my desktop then drag it to the Custom Scenery folder.

What version of XP have you got, if it is XP11 (Some) aircraft for XP10 will work but others won't unless they get upgraded, any earlier version aircraft I wouldn't bother trying.

Hi CR and everyone.

adding scenery is very easy, I always unzip it to my desktop then drag it to the Custom Scenery folder.

A word of caution here, if the Scenery is something other than an Airport chances are that you have to move / change the priority, otherwise it may not work / show up.

...if it is XP11 (Some) aircraft for XP10 will work but others won't unless they get upgraded, any earlier version aircraft I wouldn't bother trying.

Do you have a list / source for the Free GA singles complex like the C182-172RG?

I basically gave up on those in the XP that is one of the reasons I mostly use MSFSX.

One of the reasons I switched to XP after many years of flying FSwhatever is that the XP stock scenery is so much better. Much more detailed and accurate, and better textures. With XP I feel very little need for payware or even freeware add on scenery. I also find that XP performs better overall. Very smooth, no "stutters", even at large airports. FS9/FSX do a better job on ai traffic, though. Edited by Sidney Schwartz

I have both on my PC, I'm used to FSX and tweaking certain things like the aircraft.cfg and programming the ai.

I can't get my head round some of the things in XP, I'm blaming my age lol, Also the ground traffic I turned off in XP, it drove me crazy seeing vehicles going through buildings etc, I even turned them off in FSX for the same reason.

I think most of the aircraft models are very good in XP, lots of detail, in FSX you can swap some things from one aircraft to another but in XP I found that a bit difficult, it probably can be done but I haven't found a way yet lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using fsx and just downloaded xplane 11. I really like xplane 11 because of the way it handles flight dynamic. For example in fsx if you go into a stall you just start dropping. Xplane 11 goes into a stall and one wing suddenly dips as in real aircraft.

However, it looks like xplane uses far more resources from the computer than fsx. No matter how low I set things and even if I shut off windows defender I don't get more than 9fps. Obviously it makes it useless. I can have fsx set high for most things and unless I am over lax I get no problem.

Guest lavochkin

I love X-plane 11. The scenery is 100% better the FSX, The planes are more realistic. FSX is a wanta be flight simulator, X-plane is real flight simulator.

See you later Microsoft. Will never go back. X-plane rocks and is the flightsim of the future.

Why is FSX always talked about in the x-plane forum. If you like FSX good stay in the FSX forum and leave X-plane alone.

Guest lavochkin

X-plane rules, FSX drooles. X-plane is so much better than fsx, No comparison. End of thread.

You fly an airbus 320 in fsx, auto start the engines and takeoff. You try to fly an airbus 320 in x-plane, You would not be able to start the engines much less even being able to takeoff.

Edited by lavochkin

X-plane rules, FSX drooles. X-plane is so much better than fsx, No comparison. End of thread.

You fly an airbus 320 in fsx, auto start the engines and takeoff. You try to fly an airbus 320 in x-plane, You would not be able to start the engines much less even being able to takeoff.

LOL, well if I could get Xplane to actually get above 10fps I may agree. But as it stands I don't have much choice but to fly fsx. Believe me, I'd much rather go with xplane if I could.

I fly P3Dv4, Aerofly FS2, XPlane 11 and FSX. Of course they all have their strong and weak points. But I have to say that XP is collecting dust in my computer, because realistic scenery is important to me. While the LOOKS of the standard XP scenery is not bad, it has little to do with reality - you will notice that immediately when flying over familiar cities/terrain. I want more realism, and I get it in spades in P3D and FSX with Orbx Global and Land Class scenery. No such world-wide, realistic scenery is available for XP yet. FS2 looks great in some places, but has flat photo scenery in many others, and world coverage is very limited. Just my humble opinion.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Guest lavochkin
I fly P3Dv4, Aerofly FS2, XPlane 11 and FSX. Of course they all have their strong and weak points. But I have to say that XP is collecting dust in my computer, because realistic scenery is important to me. While the LOOKS of the standard XP scenery is not bad, it has little to do with reality - you will notice that immediately when flying over familiar cities/terrain. I want more realism, and I get it in spades in P3D and FSX with Orbx Global and Land Class scenery. No such world-wide, realistic scenery is available for XP yet. FS2 looks great in some places, but has flat photo scenery in many others, and world coverage is very limited. Just my humble opinion.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

I am the opposite. I want the aircraft to be more realistic. And X-plane does that. I do not care about the scenery. This is a FLIGHT SIMULATOR, not some photo shop.

I respect your humble opinion, But I am not humble and I am a very out spoken person, my way or the highway.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
OK I must be the worlds slowest operator. I cannot figure out how to get started with X-plane. Can someone list for me the first CD I need to get for X-plane and scenery for US, Europe, and basic Asia land mass? I wish to order them and get started.