slowing airspeed down

gypsymoth

The airframe inherent drag data for any FS2004 or FSX aircraft is in the .air file, in section "1101 Primary Aerodynamics". The third section down that list is titled "Drag (*2048) - Per Radian". The first entry in this section is the one you're looking for, "*Cdo Drag Coefficient - Zero Lift=35" (the number is for example only). To increase drag, change 35 to 40, for example, and see if that helps. Note that this will also reduce the cruise speed so you may have to increase the engine and prop power and thrust scalars in the aircraft.cfg to compensate - try changing scalar=1.00 to 1.20 for example, if this hasn't caused this situation to begin with! ;)

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Of course but I did say 'the throttle is closed & gear & flaps are down'..............

Yes, and I did say deploy spoilers and/or speed brake to slow you down while descending in addition to closed throttles and flaps.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

the particular machines I want to slow down quicker don't have spoilers.................power off wheels down & flaps full don't slow enough.

I'll have to hunt for a cfg editing tutorial as well.

I'll look at the air file too.

I think it would be better to fly the aircraft correctly rather than modify it. Maybe start your descent another 20 miles further out and not so steep a descent.

Starting a slow descent 30 miles from Vagar at 3250 ft at 250 mph with Mike Stone's Shorts 360 crossing the coast at 1200 ft heading for runway 30 gave me a fast touch down.............I've noticed some of Mike's aircraft are prone to not slowing down enough. The Lancer is fine though......

Starting a slow descent 30 miles from Vagar at 3250 ft at 250 mph with Mike Stone's Shorts 360 crossing the coast at 1200 ft heading for runway 30 gave me a fast touch down.............I've noticed some of Mike's aircraft are prone to not slowing down enough. The Lancer is fine though......

From 30 miles out at 3250 ft and 250 knots....At 20 miles out I would slow to 180 Knots. At about 8 miles out I would be dang close to landing speed.

I think I'll crank up Rob Richardson's Shorts 360 and fly out to Vagar for a test flight.

Edited by mrzippy

I have 2 or 3 aircraft that don't lose speed quickly enough when the throttle is closed & gear & flaps are down = how can I increase the drag effect ?

Name them. Are you trying to `go down and slow down` at the same time?

Change your methodology not the aircraft drag effect. Gear (and to a certain extent flaps) will not prevent a heavy or slippery aircraft from accelerating while descending. Solution is not to try but to slow down in level flight (or even in a slight climb) FIRST, before pitching for descent.

I used another computer this morning (W7) & all seems well......smooth 360 Rw 30 landing.

I'll check the Vista machine I used yesterday (I make my panels, etc with it) to see if FS2004 is still playing up. ILS was doing odd things...............

Hi check in the CFG file for minimum Throttle setting.

If prop plane and not constant speed prop with reverse, set it to zero.

to check it out you can , IF you have installed the MS Toolbox, select Map and see what Throttle setting is indicated for your plane.

IF you retarded the Throttle you should have ZERO.

In the AIR file Rec 1101 in the Dra section you can increase the numbers for Gear and Flap drag.

g. kirschstein

Model Zip File: 'sshor60.zip'

-----------------Air File:

- flaps positions=3 //SHOULD BE '=4'

Section 1101:

- Flaps Drag=164 //should be '=320'

----------------Aircraft.cfg:

[Flaps.0]

type= 1

span-outboard= 0.500

extending-time= 5.000

system_type= 0

damaging-speed= 250.000

blowout-speed= 300.000

lift_scalar= 1.000

drag_scalar= 1.000

pitch_scalar= 1.000

flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000

flaps-position.1= 9.000, 0.000 //o=5.000, 0.000

flaps-position.2= 29.000, 0.000 //o=15.000, 0.000

flaps-position.3= 49.000, 0.000 //o=30.000, 0.000

Now you should be able to land it at 120 kts with the stall warning coming on at 110 kts! Stall at 90 kts.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thank you. I think the problem was a dodgy fs in the vista machine I use for editing things.

It was behaving perfectly in a windoze 7 machine when I checked it yesterday.

I'm going to reinstall the sim for a fresh start.

With my mods I do approach at 100 kts and land (perfect) at 96 kts and COULD maybe even land it at 90 kts with some (+3.0 to +4.0) of pitch trim and lighter load. Vista should be ok with FS9. Also XP should be ok. So it's something else and not Windoze. I would delete the fs9 cfg and let FS build a new one to see it that 'cures' it before I would re-install. But re-install is not hard IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. If you leave stuff behind it is not good. Best to also do format (if possible). That is why I have Sims (FS9 and FSX) in seperate drive (D drive) from Windows drive (C drive). Work, work, work on PC/Windows is all we do all the time! It never ends. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

2 weeks ago in the vista machine ATC started giving me landing permission & whilst floating over the perimeter fence giving another aircraft permission to t/o & telling me to go around. I moved to do the vagar approach with the Mike Stone Short 360 & had trouble slowing down........never had that experience before......

I Uninstall FS & then do some cleaning before copy & pasting from a good fair copy & like you it's on a seperate dedicated but internal drive......works a treat when I've done it before.

Keep up the good work!!

Terry.

Aha! 'before copy & pasting..'. That might be the problem. You can't expect FS9 to work well if you copy and paste stuff from one PC to another. The install from CD's takes care of a lot of things that a copy/paste can't do. The registry to name one. So the FS9 cfg came from another laptop/pc with a different version of Windows AND a different video card? Really?! I don't think that will work, but Hey, I could be wrong. Good luck with that. Keep copy/pasting and un-installing FS9 until you suceed (NOT!).

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi,

I downloaded the plane "sshor360.zip" and flew it.

The plane flies well.

At FL100 it reaches exactly the 218 kts as per Spec.

Retarding the Throttle it slowed down correctly without any fass.

extending the flaps it slowed VERY nicely.

extend the gear it slowed even more correctly.

TD was at 92 kts full flap.

What airplane are you using , Sir ??

What did you change ?

Right out of the box the plane flies PRETTY well in all regimes, T.O. / Cruise at Level, descendinding and slowing down, Landing perfect ...

Did I use the wrong plane ??

Rgds

G. kirschstein

I have golden wings 3 & used it for all my WW2 airfields. Once I had a serious problem & tried a delete & the copy & paste from a fair copy. It worked a treat. I've done this on 3 occasions for FS2004 as well.

Everything worked beautifully. 1 was Vista & the others were W7. I do do some housework I hasten to add before pasting. I did once a few years ago properly install FS9 & the pasted my saved fair copy.

As for the shorts 360, the vista machine was malfunctioning. I'm going to reinstall.

It's flying well in Windows 7.

Edited by gypsymoth