Afterburner?

Hi Tilney,

I have and use the very Saab 35 Draken you downloaded, version 4.1 and it has afterburner. You will not get it to ignite by jamming your throttle to the end. You will need to activate it using (Shift + F4). The packaged .pdf manual states this on page 25. I QUOTE:

The single-stage EBK-67 afterburner (reheater) adds approximately 20kN of thrust to the

57kN dry thrust of the RM6C (Rolls-Royce Avon 300 Mk. 60) engine.

In the real Draken the afterburner is activated by pushing the throttle past the normal

maximum (MIL) position to a spring-loaded stop. In this simulation it is activated with

the Toggle Afterburner command (Shift-F4). Please note that it will not be activated

automatically at full throttle as in most other FSX jet fighters.

The following conditions need to be fulfilled to be able to activate the afterburner:

• Engine speed above 90 %

• Afterburner fuel valve open

• Remaining total fuel above 5 %

• AC power available (alternator bus on)

When the afterburner is activated you will feel a notable thrust boost, and the EBK warning

light is lit for a few seconds while the exhaust nozzle “eyelids” open. As in the real world,

the afterburner makes no difference in the sound of the engine.

To cut off the afterburner, pull back momentarily on the throttle. The warning light will light

up again briefly while the exhaust nozzle closes.

UNQUOTE

AB.jpg

Hope this helps,

Best wishes.

Khalid

Edited by kalizzi
added screenshot

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The one I downloaded used the i key [smokesystem] to turn on the AB and through a gauge. They had it turned off in 2 of the gauges in the panel.cfg I turned them on and noticed they had the x and y coordinates reversed. TRASH CAN time! Unbelievable what some people put out and call good!

ab.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

As in the real world,

the afterburner makes no difference in the sound of the engine.

I'm afraid the authors made a small mistake, here. Probably never been at hi-power during an afterburner test.

It does change the sound of the engine when the AB lights up. You get a whole new deep rumbling sound added to the engine's regular rumbling/whining mil power sound. Really a very "cool" (as in awesomely nifty, not temperature wise!!) effect. At least in the real world, wherever that place might be.

One note, though: do NOT stand directly behind the tailpipe! Off to side slightly is MUCH prefered. ;)

I think the authors may have been talking about the the sound inside the cockpit, though. Most are pretty well sound isolated from the outside world. Makes comms a lot better. As well, the faster you go, the less sound is able to keep up with the entrances to the cockpit. Only the sound conducted by the plane's structure can make it in, and, as I say, it's pretty well isolated from all that.

Anywho, have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D