Joystick Hat stopped working in P3d V4

jring2

For some reason the joystick hat stopped working in P3d V4. Its not a hardware problem as they (either joystick) work fine in any other Flight Sim including V3. I hit the reset to default. Still no joy. Was using Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro when I experienced the issue at a program start up. Switched to my Thrustmaster and it responded identically so it must be an assignment issue within the program. However, in either case I am unable to reassign the hat though I am unsure if I picked the right settings in the controls menu.

View does respond to the keyboard.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? What should I be looking at in the controls?

Thanks in advance.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS and have had no issue with in P3D v. 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 with the hotfix. So not a P3D issue.

Jorgen

This is hardly a relevant response to the question. What happened in your world is not the standard for every individual though I'm glad you've never had the problem, which is probably why you don't seem to have a solution.

I did NOT ask about a hotfix. I asked about the joystick hat stopping to relate to the controls in the program. I hate to repeat myself but since this respondent obviously didn't actually read the issue as I first listed it, I will repeat myself. Both joysticks work fine with all simulators. They still work fine with all other simulators except the V4 apparently somehow stopped relating to the hat in my joysticks. All other controls work fine) It is in all probability an assignment issue, but I can't get the hat to be reassigned to the joystick. When I try to reassign, nothing happens. Anyone who has experienced this happening and has a useful suggestion, please respond. Also, in the controls where would the assignment take place?

Thanks

Edited by jring2

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Look very closely at all your assignments that relate to visuals and movement. Something is in conflict. There are two devices trying to ocntrol the hat switch. Check any addons recently installed. Do you use anything like TrackIR, EZDoc, etc.

Check %appdata%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d v4/controls - - rename STANDARD.XML and let P3D rebuild it - that's where all your assignments are stored. If it now works - compare the two files.

Good luck,

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Thanks for the input vgbaron. No joy on the outcome though. When I delete the xml file and it rebuilt, it still didn't work. I did a repair with the install file and it worked once but not the second time I started the program. I guess "didn't work" is inaccurate. It does respond to an up, up/left, and left input which is what it would do before the repair. Nothing else on the hat however. All other joystick controls work as assigned. What is a head scratcher is that I have added no new software since well before it stopped working. The most recent was Australia 2 from orbx but it worked many times after that install. I use none of the software you mentioned. The standard.xml lacks any axis data at all on the first startup and I can see no noticeable problems on the second startup that would conflict with the hat input though the file is 3 times larger.

The repair on the install totally messed up my textures, so I am guessing I will be uninstalling - reinstalling. Hopefully it will work after that. V3 works fine so something in V4 got corrupted.

Sigh. . . back to the drawing board.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

"something in V4 got corrupted".....

Simply not true. If something in v4 got corrupted, then everyone, including me, would have the issue.

Jorgen

So everyone's P3d v4 runs off my hard drive? Your logic defies logic I'm afraid Jorgen. You may want to bow out of this discussion as you're hurting your credibility. Of course a file on my hard drive could get corrupted without it happening on anyone else's hard drive. I can only assume you had difficulty with my english in the ask.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

John,

Before you attempt to insult my intelligence further, you might like to know that I have worked in computer tech support, both hardware and software, with major U.S. manufacturers of the same, from 1993 until I retired in 2009.

Now, simple logic says that if something in P3D v. 4 is corrupted, EVERYONE should see it, and L-M's own support forum should be full of it. The basic fact of life, and that is what you need to grasp, is that WE DO NOT see it - in other words, the issue is on your system.

Once you grasp that, and get to grips with it, we can start working on the issue.

There were several instances where I had to transfer very irate customers to my supervisors because they wouldn't believe what I said, and they got the message that I was absolutely correct and they would need to calm down so we could figure out what the problems was and start working on resolving the real issue. Your situation exactly, except there are no supervisors here.

That's the way it works.

Jorgen

John,

- in other words, the issue is on your system.

Jorgen

Precisely! You are starting to get it! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

John,

I wholeheartedly agree with Jorgen and Vic, they are only trying to help you, Jorgen is a top notch troubleshooter. The problem is in the controller settings assignment for Hat View Pan or you have a conflicting program that changed the Hat Pan assignment in P3Dv4.

(Please consider the following)

I do have a recommendation of my own. You seem to be looking in the Axis tab of your P3D controller settings, this is the wrong area if you want to check the settings for your Hat Switch Views. What you should be checking is the "Buttons & Keys" tab in the controller settings, this should be the same for P3D & FSX.

Select Category "Views" then scroll down until you come to "View (Pan)" make sure there is a "Hat Switch" in the Joystick column, and the "Slider is full right" in the Repeat column.

Maybe even a picture of this before reassigning and after reassignment, to confirm the "Hat Pan" now works in P3Dv4 the same as your other sims.

vgbaron and jethron,

I would like to thank you for your input into the hat problem. Your responses were well thought out, addressed the existing problem and well articulated. They were positive responses with actual suggestions for correction and gave me a starting point and direction to solve the issue.

Thanks again for your help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

• 10 months later...
Sorry to be so long with an update to this issue. Here's an update for those who had followed this post. The issue on the top hat was with A2A's P-51. If it was set as the default aircraft in a start-up scenario. it destroyed the use of the hat. This would extend to any aircraft loaded after that. I guess it is necessary to use a less robust aircraft as a default and then set the scenario up once the default loads. Pain in the neck but the P-51 is too sweet and too expensive to just junk. Discovered this by accident but also found it on the A2A forum after the fact. Seems it's a problem one just has to live with. Updates to the aircraft haven't solved the issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John