Why are graphics washed out and dark in XP11 demo?

Arne

I recently downloaded the XP 11 demo, and I am enjoying the weather, moving traffic, and other goodies that I don’t currently get with my main sim, Aerofly FS2. However, before I am willing to pull the trigger on a full purchase I would like to know if some of the screenshots and videos I see on many websites that often depict bright sunny skies are really the way XP11 should look. In the demo, even with weather set to clear and the time of day at high noon I get an almost twilight, washed out look. I am pretty sure my PC can run XP11 (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 3.4 GHz, GTX 1080ti 11gb, 16 gb memory, Win 10 64bit) and my graphics in FS2 are bright and crisp when set to midday. I hope there is something I am missing or doing wrong, because I really like everything else I am seeing in the demo!

Thanks for any advice.

Arne

Hi Arne.

I think that when you are referring to washed out you are see the foggy look that XP11 has?

Make sure you have LUA full install ...:\XP1135\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua and try this Script, just place the following text in a file that ends in .lua (reduce_fog.lua) in :...:\XP1135\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts.

set("sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone", 0.3) --was.5 copy all this text

Also the Reflections in the windshield make the scenery look much darker that it should, see some posts in this Forum that I posted a while back on some changes I made to get t to some, what I call, acceptable level.

Even with those mods I only use it during Dusk or Dawn when I think it looks somewhat acceptable.

Your System should run without Shadows, Objects Medium or less, 2xAA and rest of settings to medium or less.

Hi Arne - you just hit a bit of a complaint I share on XP11. I don't like the slightly foggy views either, even when set for "clear". However, having made many dozens of real life commercial flights in the US and Europe over 50+ years as part of my job, I have to admit that the slightly washed-out colors and ground details you see in XP11 are MUCH more realistic than what you see in Aerofly FS 2 (I fly both}. During real flights above a few thousand feet, I have only seen FS2-like scenery colors and visibility over very dry areas like Arizona or the Sahara desert. So I have decided to live with XP's slightly duller, but more realistic visuals (disregarding the gross inaccuracy of their standard scenery !) - just my thoughts on that subject.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Hi John and Arne.

I do agree that there are some days where the XP11 represents the somewhat real looking fog / haze, but there are many days, even in places like CA where you can easily see over 70 SM away, and if you have a sim where you want to see this it should be available.

I can come over the mountains from Big Bear and see Catalina, over 70 SM away, so well where I feel that I can reach over and touch it. That view should be available if if I want it.

The reason for the hazy look in the XP is not to represent the real life view is to maximize the FPS due to the poor code / choices of video engine and other useless features that they decided to include.

The artists in that team have taken over and gone overboard and the tech people that should fix the flight model / dynamics look like they are non existent.

With the coming of Vulkan they may have the clear visibility required and maybe the FPS but there is NO chance that the flight models will ever improve.