Fsx default b737-800 problem

Pdungan1

When I take to engage the autopilot/autothrottle after takeoff- the aircraft starts losing altitude and plummets toward the ground. I had everything set altitude,airspeed, heading set before takeoff.

Take off before applying ANY autothrottle or autopilot setting, and double check the settings are correct before actually switching the a/p on.

Autopilot and Autothrottle are two separate functions.

HOW are you turning them on? Clicking a button on the panel may be different from the CTRL-H/CTRL-R etc. For example, clicking the ALT button on the panel's AP section will allow the AP to hold the altitude that you already have set. But using CTRL-H will set your CURRENT altitude in the AP and use that as the altitude to hold.

So you'll need to check out the results of each method to determine how you should operate.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

When I take to engage the autopilot/autothrottle after takeoff- the aircraft starts losing altitude and plummets toward the ground. I had everything set altitude,airspeed, heading set before takeoff.

This is how I set up my B737-800 on Runway BEFORE TAKE OFF. First Screen Shot shows settings Left to Right.

1. SET AT/ARM to On Position Straight Up

2. SET Speed

3. FLIP NAV/GPS to GPS if using GPS Flight

4. CLICK VOR LOC so it's Green

5. SET Altitude Hight

6. CLICK ALT/HOLD so it's Green

7. SET VERTICAL SPEED to whatever you want, I think default is 1800

AFTER YOU TAKE OFF MANUALLY Next Screen Shot. Left To Right

1. CLICK SPEED so it's Green

2. CLICK CMD/A This en-gauges AUTO PILOT.

That's pretty much it. Hope this helps

BEFORE TAKE OFF 2.png

AFTER TAKE OFF 2.png

Try this, Arm auto throtle, set GPS mode, dial your speed, heading, alt, and clime rate. Do not have any on, after take off turn on your A/P then alt, vor or dir, speed.

Hope this helps as its what I do to fly it.

Happy :pilot: Flyin'

AD

I had flaps set to 10 and the RTO switch set to on during takeoff- I wonder would that cause the autopilot to behave this way?

Probably not! Unless that runway you are using is really short, always set flaps to 5 degrees for takeoff.

Looking through this post, I see no mention of addons. like airport scenery, weather, or any other things that might affect your aircraft. Anything you care to fill us in on?

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

One other thought. Did you trim the aircraft prior take off.

Windows 7 Home 64bit - 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD - 2TB Master Hard Drive

Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler

16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

The flap 5 nonsense again. Sigh.

At flaps 5 you'd stall at 150knots. You'd need to lift off at about 210knots. (not safe or smart).

Use full flaps. You will then lift off at about 135 knots. Perfectly controlled and safe.

The reason you are crashing now is probably because you are stalling with flaps at only 10 and speed 150 or so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you turned on the pitot tube heat?
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

pdungan1, I do pretty much the same as you regarding taking off, but instead of manually taking off first I just hit the speed button to get the aircraft moving down the runway. I mainly always just use 5 degrees of flaps and a bit of trim as well.

Once airborne and with a positive rate of climb is the time that I hit the autopilot button, then raise the landing gear.

I set my speed at 245, not what you have yours set at as your not meant to go over 250 below 10,000 ft, but I'm sure you know that anyway.

Because I only do fairly short flights these days I also reduce my fuel by about 50% as well.

We all have our own little ways of going about things, but this is what woks for me and it works successfully every single time. :):)

Good luck in sorting out your problem.

WJ.

At flaps 5 you'd stall at 150knots. You'd need to lift off at about 210knots. (not safe or smart).

Use full flaps. You will then lift off at about 135 knots. Perfectly controlled and safe.

The reason you are crashing now is probably because you are stalling with flaps at only 10 and speed 150 or so.

What nutcase uses full flaps at takeoff? SIGH!

That's NOT nonsense. Just because you can get away with your procedure in the sim doesn't mean it's right:

From a 737 pilot on a pro forum:

B737-800 stallspeed, flaps up, gear up and forward center of gravity at 10.000 feet:

@42.000kgs (empty) = about 126kts

@75.000kgs (MTOW) = about 174kts

Max fuel and max payload will not go together. In my airline's configuration, max fuel is 21 tons, max payload is 20 tons, MTOW = 75 tons, minus 42 tons empty weight leaves you only33 tons of total load capability.

This is why jets generally require such long runways.

Note that he's specifying weights in tons and KG (KiloGrams), not in lbs.

Full flap takeoff on almost any aircraft is stupid and unsafe, requiring much more distance for takeoff (a tremendous amount more drag vs a relatively small change in lift from 5º or 10º to full), and certainly won't be in the manufacturer's documentation for flight -- a very rare exception is the Super Cub, where full flaps under certain circumstances is actually approved by Piper for certain short field takeoffs. On most aircraft that's asking for trouble.

BTW, notice the specified conditions in the quote above -- those figures vary a LOT depending on weight AND on CG, among other factors.

Granted that you can get away with a lot of things in the sim that in real life would kill you, but if you suggest that others follow your procedures, you might also include a warning that this is something you can get away with in the sim but doesn't mimic the real thing, just for those who prefer to operate as IRL.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

AND, you too Larry, are worthy of another +1. Thanks for your comments! I have never heard of full flap takeoffs, especially as they might (hope not) apply to Boeing 737's or any other large aircraft!

mrz - I just flew the 737 around area of Charleston, SC, and what a "Gentle Ben" this aircraft is. It has been a long time since flying it. It is truly a very stable aircraft and very enjoyable to fly!

Thanks, Rick :cool:

No idea what you're on about Napamule. I just know you don't follow any rules when flying. And like to do thing "the wrong way" as much as possible.

In this case the person asking is a beginner, that wants to know the basics to fly IN FSX.

Try focussing on that perhaps.

------

In the 737-800 (which he is flying) the recommended rotation speed, (is in the "Reference Speeds" list that you can pop up while flying), is:

--Rotation speed:

Standard temperature, 5,000' pressure altitude

143,000 lbs 152 KIAS

132,000 lbs 145 KIAS

At those speeds and weights, you had better have your flaps extended to full.

If not, you are going to stall.

those speeds of 145-152 for rotation are safe. If a car or plane decides to cross the runway while you are coming, you can still safely stop.

While using flaps full at that speed you can safely lift off, even from relatively short 6000 ft Runways.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not to be argumentative, but at my test airport (L08), 5000 foot runway, I use 5 degrees flaps for takeoff, 92% N1 and liftoff well before the end of the runway at approx. 120KIAS. I probably would not want to try this IRL.:eek:

MrZippy, are you sure??

In that test you must have used a 737 that is not the default FSX 737-800.

(Or if you are using that plane, you have edited heavily.)

I tried to reproduce that.

Default, fully default, no changed weights, lift coeficcient, etc, 737-800 from FSX.

Full fuel load, for a flight as normal.

Flaps 5

accelerate to 120 knots

Pull on the stick.

---->Result: The plane would not even lift it's front wheel up at 120 knots.

Tried again to get airborne, Again Flaps 5 and full Fuel. Default 737-800.

This time aiming for whatever speed was needed.

Eventually the plane rotated at 165 knots. Very close to the end of the 12000 ft runway at EHAM that I used.

It also had a tailstrike while rotating.

In a heavily edited plane you can get the numbers down. Yes.

And if you take off with only 5% fuel you can too.

But that's not what the question that started this thread was.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MrZippy, are you sure??

In that test you must have used a 737 that is not the default FSX 737-800.

(Or if you are using that plane, you have edited heavily.)

I tried to reproduce that.

Default, fully default, no changed weights, lift coeficcient, etc, 737-800 from FSX.

Full fuel load, for a flight as normal.

Flaps 5

accelerate to 120 knots

Pull on the stick.

---->Result: The plane would not even lift it's front wheel up at 120 knots.

Tried again to get airborne, Again Flaps 5 and full Fuel. Default 737-800.

This time aiming for whatever speed was needed.

Eventually the plane rotated at 165 knots. Very close to the end of the 12000 ft runway at EHAM that I used.

It also had a tailstrike while rotating.

In a heavily edited plane you can get the numbers down. Yes.

And if you take off with only 5% fuel you can too.

But that's not what the question that started this thread was.

No edits, the only thing is, I never use a "full load" of fuel. Probably no more than 20% in all tanks.

I only use normal Airports like KSFO and their longer runways when attempting full fuel takeoffs.

I'll give a full fuel load takeoff a quick try at my test airport.

Default 737-800 full fuel load and takeoff on a 5000 foot runway. N1 knob set to 92% using A/T and N1 speed.

world travel.JPG

Lift off...no tail strike, speed about 125 knots, 5 degrees flaps. Not exactly the middle of the runway, but close enough!

takeoff.JPG

Wheels up

wheels up.JPG