Which one is the power, propeller, and conditon levers?

oneleg

Which is which? :-(

Thank you.

Turbo levers.jpg

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Throttles, left two. Prop levers, middle two. Conditioning levers, right two.

Thank you. Would you happen to know what NG stands for?

I just found out ITT stands for Interstage Turbine Temperature, but I can't find NG which is supposed to be the turbine rotation speed. What does the N and G stand for? Also, how is the NG different from the Prop RPM?

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

What aircraft is this?? I copied this from a turbine engine description:

Most of today's turbine engines are

dual-rotor engines, meaning there are two

distinct sets of rotating components.

The rear compressor, or high-pressure

compressor, is connected by a hollow shaft

to a high-pressure turbine. This is

the high rotor, sometimes called the gas

generator. The rotors are sometimes

called spools, such as the "hig

h spool." In this text, we

will use the term rotor.

The high rotor is often referred to as NG for short. (There is addi

tional material in

this package that describes single-shaft engine design.)

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank you. Would you happen to know what NG stands for?

I just found out ITT stands for Interstage Turbine Temperature, but I can't find NG which is supposed to be the turbine rotation speed. What does the N and G stand for? Also, how is the NG different from the Prop RPM?

Ng = Gas generator rotation speed indication.

Ng indicates power output of the engine. Pilots and Ground Crew reference the Ng speed to determine the engine power setting.

For example: In PT6A-27 turbo-prop engine, gas generator speed is 37,500 rpm at Ng = 100 %. Maximum Ng = 101.5 percent corresponding to 38,000 rpm. Ng = 52+1 percent at ground idle condition.

Other engines may differ (in particular geared turbines which differ from the PT6-type Free turbine)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-turbine_turboshaft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geared_turbofan

Ng = Gas generator rotation speed indication.

Ng indicates power output of the engine. Pilots and Ground Crew reference the Ng speed to determine the engine power setting.

For example: In PT6A-27 turbo-prop engine, gas generator speed is 37,500 rpm at Ng = 100 %. Maximum Ng = 101.5 percent corresponding to 38,000 rpm. Ng = 52+1 percent at ground idle condition.

Other engines may differ (in particular geared turbines which differ from the PT6-type Free turbine)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-turbine_turboshaft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geared_turbofan

Great info, but what does the 'N' and the 'G' stand for?

@mrzippy, this is for the RealAir Turbine Duke.

Great info, but what does the 'N' and the 'G' stand for?

@mrzippy, this is for the RealAir Turbine Duke.

N= Rotational speed, usually in RPM, or a percentage of the maximum RPM the turbine may operate at.

G= Defines the item that N is measuring. In this case, G is for Gas Generator, or the turbine used to get rotational energy from the air that was mixed with fuel, and then ignited and burned in the burner cans, thus imparting a large amount of energy to the air, which then flows over the gas turbine blades. The energy thus "picked off" is then used to rotate the gears and shafts in the "transmission", and hence the propeller, as well as the compressor blades (or not the compressor, depending on the engine type).

As shown in the links provided, some engines have 2 shafts, one used to pick off the high energy rotational power from the very hot air from the burner cans, and a separate turbine used to make the compressor blades torn.

Some engines have only one shaft from the high energy turbine, used to power the compressor(s) AND the propeller/rotor system (for helicopters).

Both are still the G you are curious about.

Thus, NG is the rotational speed, either in RPM, or a percentage of the total RPM the turbine may function safely at, of the gas turbine.

Does that clear is up? As clear as a San Francisco fog, anyway :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

...In this case, G is for Gas Generator ....

Does that clear is up? As clear as a San Francisco fog, anyway :D

Pat☺

Maybe it's the fog. My question is not actually technical. I'm not asking for a technical explanation. It's much simplier. I'm just trying to figure out why it's the letter "N". And not another letter like 'R', or 'X' , or 'Y', or some other random letter. I assume that the letter was selected for a reason. I can't imagine somebody arbitrarily said: 'oh 'n' sounds good, let's use it!'. Anyway, the letter 'G' makes sense. Thanks for that info.

Guessing here at the answer, but N (Capital N) is the international symbol for Newton. Newton are the units Force (F) is expressed in.

(e.g. "The ball hit the wall with a force of 6N".).

Also, torque is measured in Nm (Newtonmeters)

Work is sometimes measured in Nm (Newtonmeters) as well.

See:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_metre

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guessing here at the answer, but N (Capital N) is the international symbol for Newton. Newton are the units Force (F) is expressed in.

(e.g. "The ball hit the wall with a force of 6N".).

Also, torque is measured in Nm (Newtonmeters)

Work is sometimes measured in Nm (Newtonmeters) as well.

See:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_metre

Nice guess except that gauge is not measuring force, it is measuring revs as a percentage.

N literally equals number.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Also, how is the NG different from the Prop RPM?

The gas generator spins in the neighborhood of 10 times faster than the prop.

Think of the NG gauge as the turboprop's version of the manifold pressure gauge of a piston engine. They are both used to monitor engine power output.

With a constant speed prop, engine revs are not directly connected to prop revs, which is why we want gauges to monitor both.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

With a constant speed prop, engine revs are not directly connected to prop revs, which is why we want gauges to monitor both.

Sorry, Bean, but for once I'll have to disagree with you, unless you're talking about a turboprop. I normally think of a constant speed prop being on a piston engine, where there is a direct relationship, but perhaps you're using the term for a turboprop, where there's a decided difference?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I guess what I should have said was...

With a constant speed prop, engine revs are not as directly connected to prop revs as they are with a fixed pitch prop.

The point I was trying to make was that with a CS prop we use separate gauges for prop speed and power setting.

As opposed to a FP prop where a single gauge, like a tachometer, will suffice.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

oneleg:

I actually downloaded the RealAir Turbine Duke yesterday for a first-hand look. It's an interesting aircraft, and not that easy to fly right off the bat. (Reading the docs helped quite a bit). Though it's not as sexy as the Carenado Diamond that I recently purchased, I'll certainly be flying the Duke from time to time. (Surprisingly, it has a 30,000 feet ceiling!). Thanks for the tip...

oneleg:

Thanks for the tip...

The Turbine Duke is a great plane like Realair's Lancair Legacy. It's good that 'one half' of Realair continued on and developed the new Vertx Diamond DA62. The DA62 looks like what one gets when the Duke and the Legacy marry and have a kid. The DA62 has the Duke's twin props and looks like the Legacy. Lol.

I should get the DA62 outright. The price is right. Just wishing it had analog instruments and more reviews.

The Turbine Duke is a great plane like Realair's Lancair Legacy. It's good that 'one half' of Realair continued on and developed the new Vertx Diamond DA62. The DA62 looks like what one gets when the Duke and the Legacy marry and have a kid. The DA62 has the Duke's twin props and looks like the Legacy. Lol.

I should get the DA62 outright. The price is right. Just wishing it had analog instruments and more reviews.

The Diamond DA62 is nothing like the Duke: It has piston props at 180 horses a side, albeit a pair of diesel-powered props; no pressurisation; no cabin entry or airstairs; about 2/3rds the cruise speed and about one third the climb rate!

There are also major differences in the instrumentation - the Duke is about a generation-and-half behind the DA62, originally certified in 1968 (and the turbine conversion in 2006). The analogy falls behind in the number of seats as well - The Duke is a six-seater while the Diamond is certified in five- and seven-seat versions...

The only commonality is they are both twins! Its like comparing a Tigercat to a Dakota, or a Mosquito to an F-22!

As a sim aircraft the Turbine Duke is a generation behind with instrumentation (the DA62 does not come with analogue instruments because the real aircraft doesn't) and is, of course, part of a development team that is no more...

The Diamond DA62 is nothing like the Duke...

@mallcott, I hope you don't mind my asking questions about Duke...

On Dial 1 (see picture below) where do the needle(s) point to? I don't think that dial is controlled by Nav1 or Nav2. On dial 2, is there supposed to be an alert sound when the decision height bug is reached?

Would you happen to know where I can get the actual manuals for the Duke as well as the instruments in the panel? I'm also trying to figure out how to work the 'true airspeed calibration' knob on the airspeed dial.

Panel - 2 UnNamed Instruments.jpg

Thanks.

@mallcott, I hope you don't mind my asking questions about Duke...

On Dial 1 (see picture below) where do the needle(s) point to? I don't think that dial is controlled by Nav1 or Nav2. On dial 2, is there supposed to be an alert sound when the decision height bug is reached?

Would you happen to know where I can get the actual manuals for the Duke as well as the instruments in the panel? I'm also trying to figure out how to work the 'true airspeed calibration' knob on the airspeed dial.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]210368[/ATTACH]

Thanks.

Dial 1 is for the ADF #1 and Nav#1 (the answer is in your picture - the mouse held over the gauge as a `tooltip`)

Dial 2 shows the radar altitude used when close to the ground as a `local` guide[ There is no sound but the yellow light lights up when the selected altitude is reached.

Again, these are all standard instruments covered by the Learning Center in the sim.

For the Duke ALL controls including flying guide are explained in the supporting manuals - found under Real Air Simulations in your basic Windows Start menu.

Hi Stringbean and thread starter. Thanks. Saw N1 refers to number of revolutions per minute as well.

I suggested Newtons because I remembered that in school we usually used (n) (small letter) for number.

Here it means number, clear.

And now that I thought about it more I may have seen N used as number before. Perhaps during Vector calculations (N,n).

Adding: looked up the Avogadro constant. That's with N as well! Funny, have known that number by heart for so many years but didn't know it was with capital N.

Thanks guys.:D Will look at N1 differently from now on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Stringbean and thread starter. Thanks. Saw N1 refers to number of revolutions per minute as well.

I suggested Newtons because I remembered that in school we usually used (n) (small letter) for number.

Here it means number, clear.

And now that I thought about it more I may have seen N used as number before. Perhaps during Vector calculations (N,n).

Adding: looked up the Avogadro constant. That's with N as well! Funny, have known that number by heart for so many years but didn't know it was with capital N.

Thanks guys.:D Will look at N1 differently from now on.

Important to know, not guess at the vernacular for the particular area in question. It's part of the education process so mistakes aren't made.

The problem here is we don't know which sim this refers to..? The terminology will be the same for all aircraft, but how you learn and access that information can be sim-dependant.

Again, these are... covered by the Learning Center in the sim.

For the Duke ALL controls including flying guide are explained in the supporting manuals...

I just couldn't find the radar altimeter dial in the Learning Center and in the supporting manuals. That is I did a search for 'radar' and 'decision' in Realair's Turbine Duke Flying Guide. I couldn't find it.

I had also checked the Learning Center for P3D for instrument details in question. I couldn't find them either.

My apologies for asking and testing your patience. But what am I missing? Can you please point me to the specific page or sections in both the Flying Guide and the Learning Center?

Thanks.