Latest Windows ten update 1903

Hello All

As windows 10 has featured in many flightsimers posts both for good and bad ,I thought this might be of interest to us as both users or considering becoming a user of windows 10 .

As we are as a group a highly intelligent , tech savvy and of course modest bunch you will probably be aware that there seems to have been a change in there automatic download and install of there latest major update 1903 if you are not aware they are now allowing you to choose whether you want to install it or not rather than foisting on you whether yay or nay.

I know not what exactly this may mean for us users ,and I apologize if this just a re discovering of the wheel ,but I thought it may be of interest to you all.

Cheers Andy

Hello All

As windows 10 has featured in many flightsimers posts both for good and bad ,I thought this might be of interest to us as both users or considering becoming a user of windows 10 .

As we are as a group a highly intelligent , tech savvy and of course modest bunch you will probably be aware that there seems to have been a change in there automatic download and install of there latest major update 1903 if you are not aware they are now allowing you to choose whether you want to install it or not rather than foisting on you whether yay or nay.

I know not what exactly this may mean for us users ,and I apologize if this just a re discovering of the wheel ,but I thought it may be of interest to you all.

Cheers Andy

Windows 10 has provided the option to delay or defer Windows updates for several versions now.

Windows 10 has provided the option to delay or defer Windows updates for several versions now.

Windows Home users didn't have the same options as Pro and others did though. There have also been other improvements in the latest May 2019 Windows release.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/04/04/improving-the-windows-10-update-experience-with-control-quality-and-transparency/

• 1 month later...

I have been using 2 old Canon Printers. Both have had issues related to ink cartridge usage. With respect to Windows 10, an update was just completed by Microsoft end of July on my PC. Thereafter, neither printer would work at all. I find out Windows 10 will not support these printers with the existing drivers. So, luckily, I found the drivers online but had to choose a Windows 7 driver which works. As for the Ink cartridge issue, it has been an ongoing battle to get the printers to operate with refilled cartridges. Just recently it appears neither will now accept any cartridge except for a new Canon Cartridge. So the battle may be lost anyway as buying new cartridges is a joke as far as price is concerned.

Redd

What's an update?

Oh, that lack of QC crap people seem to think they need never mind the fact I've only used a handful since Win 98se? Those updates?

Never been hacked in my life and only got one virus back in my Win 98se days that crappy AVG didn't even stop. Since then I vowed never to be owned and tea bagged again and learned a whole hell of a lot about computer and cyber security.

Now one might say, "you probably have malware and don't know it." Well, if my software of which are Sanity Check, Stream Armor, TDssKiller, ADwcleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, FreeFixer (not what you think), Ring3 Hook scanner or my use of Sandboxie for my browser doesn't show anything then I guess I'm good to go. Especially with my discipline of scanning any and all capable file downloads at Virus Total.

I do run a tight ship, and I don't need lack of QC updates destroying MY computer. I've seen thread after thread on how an update totally messed up one's computer. And I'm like why do you even bother using updates in the first place? Just use the individual ones that you absolutely need for things like motherboard and/or software functionality. But each their own I guess.

Now I realize you can't turn the crap off in 10. My answer to that is in the last paragraph of this post here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?317916-HELP!-Weird-loss-of-airspace-access&p=2087339#post2087339

And nothing in life is free. Win 10 was "free" and I have to wonder why they pushed it so badly though an update.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Hello All

Concerning W10 updates I use a free program called wuMgr .This utility effectively gives you back control of W10 updates by allowing you to select which ones you want to download and install (virus definitions , security updates etc which I receive on a daily basis and always install)or in the case of a Windows major updates ,which as a simmer iam rather wary of until I know just what effect they may have on the venerable Fs9.I can if needs be install these particular updates later when I have read up the views from other users on there possible adverse or not effects on the sim.

In short this utility effectively gives you the control over updates that used to be available in earlier Windows additions.

Just one thing more ....there are quite a few other free apps similar to WuMgr ,but a lot of them block everything from being downloaded and installed , which I don't want to do.

Anyway iam sure a lot of you will be aware of such utilities ,but just thought I'd let you know just in case.

Cheers Andy

There are numerous ways to reduce the amount of updates you get via the WU process and to minimise the amount of data collected by MS - a simple internet search is all that is required.

@ REDDAIR

Although you have resolved the issue by getting older drivers, it is possible that the next time windows updates that it will redownload and install the incompatible drivers.

You can turn off all non MS developed/related driver updates using the info found in these two links - LINK 1 and LINK 2

WRT the specific cartridge problem that REDDAIR has reported - the problem is a common theme and IS NOT directly related to a MS update file itself but via a driver update provided to MS by the OEM software team.

It is now common for all printer manufacturers to make it harder for users to use 'cheap' refills. Most new printers are already 'hardwired' as such and many have applied this to older printers via a firmware update, either issued directly via their own update process (as part of the installed driver software - check to see what update policy is in place via the specific printer software installed) or via an update issued to a third party source (such as MS).

Regards

Brian

Brian, Thanks for the comment. My printer problem is the first time I recognized an update from Windows may not always be productive. My comment above was a "FYI" with respect to Andy's introduction of this thread. As far as the Ink Cartridge matter, it took a while for me to realize it was external forces at work which disabled my printers. The printers at first began printing erratically and I assumed it was just a cartridge fault. Not so....

Redd

It could have been a driver update. It would be prudent to stop Windows from updating your drivers automatically and let yourself go directly to the manufacturer for the driver. Whether that be for the GPU, a printer, etc.

Read here:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

CRJ... Thanks...there is no doubt in my mind that Microsoft and Canon have effectively rendered my MP210 and MP190 dead UNLESS (In the case of Canon) I use new Canon cartridges. The driver matter was a case of overcoming a Windows 10 update.

For those who could benefit, this is the eye tiring story. A couple of years ago, I began refilling cartridges after learning of such on the web. Initially, it worked but later I had to overcame a couple of querks. Then, a year ago, both printers became outright spastic(!) and we decided to buy a Canon 4010 when I figured the print mechanisms had failed. I disconnected the old ones and left them in a room to collect dust. The 4010 allows us to use 1 printer for 2 PCs. I pondered discarding the old printers but did not do so because I felt there was something about all of it which was not right since BOTH failed at about the same time (Like the Boeing MAX story)! Then one day I decided to power up one of them. The printer program was still undisturbed inside the PC then. The printer I tried printed like nothing ever happened to it= perfect. Then I knew... Now, it seems whatever I do, I cannot overcome the refilled cartridge matter--despite exploring every answer seen on Youtube and beyond. Now I am tempted to try and refill them in place but this would require some machine alterations to reach the top area of the cartridges. Plus, apparently Canon uses a "Count" procedure in determining the life of a cartridge. This meaning you can only print so many pages with a cartridge and then it is deemed nearly empty, forcing replacement.

Redd

Edited by REDDAIR

If you want to test the printers in a Windows 7 environment, then you can try a VMware image of 7. You'd launch the VMware instance which is called a guest operating system and try to print. It may or may not work seen is how this is a virtual environment. If itr prints in 7 and not 10 you'll no for sure what to blame. :D

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

I'm downloading that right now to see if it will work for your test. If it doesn't, what you need is a Win 7 install disk or the Win 7 download and use that to create the VMware OS install. You don't even need to add a product key since I think it's 90 days until you have to.

On the subject of printers. I have heard Brother makes a good printer, but you'll want to compare and contrast reviews. If you use Amazon, use fakespot to see whether the reviews have any deception. Fakespot will give you a deception review grade. This is NOT a product grade, only a review grade on the quality of the reviews and if they can be trusted. A lot of companies pay people to write phony positive reviews so Fakespot weeds that out and lets you know with a grade A-F. It'll even work with Yelp and other sites. https://www.fakespot.com/

Use more than one site for review comparisons. Even eBay.

Another thing. I've read that laser printers use way less ink than a money stealing cartridge. I used to work for a computer and printer recycling company and I dealt with printer cartridges all day. For a laser printer the ink is actually called toner, a large toner cartridge. They are A LOT more expensive, but should last a lot longer. Plus, they don't dry up. It's a powder, really. I looked like a coal miner after my shift at work.

I've also heard HP makes a great printer, but again, do your research.

sudo -back_on_topic

I've also heard HP makes a great printer, but again, do your research.

Once true, but HP ain't what it used to be. Awful software for consumer market printers and, from my experience, their ink jet printers are lucky to last 3 years at most after normal use. Don't make the mistake of thinking HP still makes reliable printers. The last HP ink-jet I owned had the awful BUY A NEW HP CARTRIDGE pop-up every single time you would print, when the toner got low. And no way to turn off the notification -- it was hard coded into the printer driver. I replaced it with a Canon AIO, will not be buying HP for home ever again.

Edited by ftldave
add txt

Since this has evolved into printer/ink... I've heard many times that it's the ink that makes the money not the sale of the printers. So it makes sense that they would do everything in their power to encourage you to buy their brand.

As far as WU... I hate them I hate them I hate them. Except for security updates, which is an ever evolving danger, if it ain't broke, etc., etc.

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

2 things:

First the printer ink, I saw a video one time where a guy bought 2 new ink cartridges, he opened them up and inside was a sponge plus ink, but the cartridges were not full, so obviously they soon run out.

He used one of those refill kits to fill them and sealed off the hole.

Second thing, I had Windows updates turned off, but last night I went to power down the PC and it went through the update, after it did it the PC shutdown.

So I fired it up again and when I went in control panel to uninstall the new update I couldn't tell which was the new one because all the dates were not visible alongside the updates.

I tried to change various views but none showed any details, any ideas there?

Col.

2 things:

First the printer ink, I saw a video one time where a guy bought 2 new ink cartridges, he opened them up and inside was a sponge plus ink, but the cartridges were not full, so obviously they soon run out.

He used one of those refill kits to fill them and sealed off the hole.

Second thing, I had Windows updates turned off, but last night I went to power down the PC and it went through the update, after it did it the PC shutdown.

So I fired it up again and when I went in control panel to uninstall the new update I couldn't tell which was the new one because all the dates were not visible alongside the updates.

I tried to change various views but none showed any details, any ideas there?

Col.

If you're on Win 10, then you're gonna need one of those programs to help stop updates once and for all.

If you want to test the printers in a Windows 7 environment, then you can try a VMware image of 7. You'd launch the VMware instance which is called a guest operating system and try to print. It may or may not work seen is how this is a virtual environment. If itr prints in 7 and not 10 you'll no for sure what to blame.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

I'm downloading that right now to see if it will work for your test.

Nada. It won't work for a printer test. You'll have to have a copy of Win 7 for a VMware install.

Yes, fun fun fun with printers. The wife had complained years ago about printer ink as she was the "Buyer" for these at a local place. To cut down the cost, she thought a refilled cartridge would be good. Then was told "Refills" for our MP190 /210 will not work because with the Canons we have will not function with a "Refill." Canon put a "Non-Op" software code on the cartridge should you try to reuse it they told her. Later on, the shop then explained they could refill them... Apparently, they were able to counter the code. Next, the shop did not refill the cartridges enough to make it worthwhile. They ran out quickly. Then along comes the power of the net and a website wherein you can buy your own refill kit (Needles-ink bottles...). Then I learn all the shortcomings doing so. In the beginning I thought it was easier to just pry the top off the cartridges and directly fill them from the bottle. Very easy--too easy!!! You cannot fill these too much and then by breaking them open it causes adverse conditions for operation. Then Canon began making the refill process impossible. The cartridges would not work unless they were Canons and then those had to be new. Presently, I cannot get the refills to work. One printer seemed immune to changes for awhile because it was older. At the moment, I have new Canon cartridges in both and everything is bliss...until I try this refill stuff again. And as I said above, now Windows 10 gets into the act with the drivers. Just since I wrote the message above, Windows has installed 2 updates on my PC. I did go ahead and change the Driver update, but my PC does things regardless of my settings, and so, I did read that Windows 10 is truly now the age of "Big Brother." And yes, printers were relatively inexpensive because the manufacturers make all the money on the ink cartridges--it has been so said many times on the net. It's just so weird that I have been using Windows 10 since 2016 and there was never any issues with the printer original drivers up until July.

Redd

….. And as I said above, now Windows 10 gets into the act with the drivers. Just since I wrote the message above, Windows has installed 2 updates on my PC. I did go ahead and change the Driver update, but my PC does things regardless of my settings, and so, I did read that Windows 10 is truly now the age of "Big Brother."......

AND

It's just so weird that I have been using Windows 10 since 2016 and there was never any issues with the printer original drivers up until July.

Redd

If you have followed the various links that have been provided in this thread, and depending on what options you have selected you should only receive updates to the OS itself and, if set, other MS products you may have installed (i.e. Office, Internet Explorer (if you still use it) etc).

You cannot stop all updates using the options contained within the various windows settings - security and compatibility updates will still occur. If you really want to stop Win 10 updates completely, you will need to use 3rd party apps to do so, as suggested in some of the other posts.

It could be that Canon did not release any 'new' drivers via MS until now. Also, it seems to have become the norm to use a standardised 'driver' package that combines many common files/drivers for all versions of a product produced, that release of 'universal' driver updates

Regards

Brian

I thought I had stopped updates on my PC until a few days ago and I got one.

I since went in the settings and stopped them again, Aaron above said to use a 3rd party app.

I did a quick search but all I got was page after page of various methods of turning off updates but no links to any apps.

If someone knows of a good one can you please post a link.

Col.

I thought I had stopped updates on my PC until a few days ago and I got one.

I since went in the settings and stopped them again, Aaron above said to use a 3rd party app.

I did a quick search but all I got was page after page of various methods of turning off updates but no links to any apps.

If someone knows of a good one can you please post a link.

Col.

Hello

As I mentioned earlier in this thread ,I use a free download called' Windows update mini tool ' available from Major Geeks

This utility gives you full control of W10 updates . It effectively gives you back the control that used to be available on earlier versions of Windows.As an example I get windows defender updates nearly everyday and I always install these , in the case of the latest Windows 10 major update I have used WUMT to block this until I see what if any effect it has on Fs9. I can decide later if want to install this.

Andy

Thanks to all for the input on this Windows 10 matter and sub-topic printers. It just seems you have to take the "Bad" with the good when it comes to Microsoft updates (IMO). The security end of it alone is cause for concern down the road. I am sure the scammers and hackers are 1 step behind Microsoft's path. As far as drivers are concerned, it would be nice if some "Caveats" were offered to users when equipment/softrware may become involved. If there is one thing I have seen repeated in Flightsim and elsewhere in general: Trouble with a program or PC seems to start when the manufacturer makes changes...and the problem has nothing to do with the integrity of the program or PC. I'm sure the pilots who complained about the Boeing "Max 8" figure they could be part of Ernest Gann's novel "Fate is The Hunter." A good book about 1930-40s pilots sometimes surviving merely by fate not having sought them out.

Redd

Lack of Windows updates is a fallacy. I only have like 4 and don't even using an anti-virus. Never got a virus and never been "hacked." I run Sandboxie for my browser and scan all downloads at Virus Total. I also run several scanners most never even heard of before. Like Stream Armor, Sanity Check, Ring3 Hook Scanner, and Herdprotect portable. I also clone all of my computers to external HDDs so should something catastrophic happen I can clone back.

Lack of Windows updates is a fallacy. I only have like 4 and don't even using an anti-virus. Never got a virus and never been "hacked." I run Sandboxie for my browser and scan all downloads at Virus Total. I also run several scanners most never even heard of before. Like Stream Armor, Sanity Check, Ring3 Hook Scanner, and Herdprotect portable. I also clone all of my computers to external HDDs so should something catastrophic happen I can clone back.

Thanks...