Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Latest Windows ten update 1903

1. Default Latest Windows ten update 1903

Hello All
    As windows 10 has featured in many flightsimers posts both for good and bad ,I thought this might be of interest to us as both users or considering becoming a user of windows 10 .
    As we are as a group a highly intelligent , tech savvy and of course modest bunch you will probably be aware that there seems to have been a change in there automatic download and install of there latest major update 1903 if you are not aware they are now allowing you to choose whether you want to install it or not rather than foisting on you whether yay or nay.
    I know not what exactly this may mean for us users ,and I apologize if this just a re discovering of the wheel ,but I thought it may be of interest to you all.

Cheers Andy

Quote Originally Posted by HoratioWondersocks View Post
    Hello All
    As windows 10 has featured in many flightsimers posts both for good and bad ,I thought this might be of interest to us as both users or considering becoming a user of windows 10 .
    As we are as a group a highly intelligent , tech savvy and of course modest bunch you will probably be aware that there seems to have been a change in there automatic download and install of there latest major update 1903 if you are not aware they are now allowing you to choose whether you want to install it or not rather than foisting on you whether yay or nay.
    I know not what exactly this may mean for us users ,and I apologize if this just a re discovering of the wheel ,but I thought it may be of interest to you all.

Cheers Andy
    Windows 10 has provided the option to delay or defer Windows updates for several versions now.

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    Windows 10 has provided the option to delay or defer Windows updates for several versions now.
    Windows Home users didn't have the same options as Pro and others did though. There have also been other improvements in the latest May 2019 Windows release.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-transparency/

1 MILE FROM MISSISSIPPI RIVER QUAD CITIES

I have been using 2 old Canon Printers. Both have had issues related to ink cartridge usage. With respect to Windows 10, an update was just completed by Microsoft end of July on my PC. Thereafter, neither printer would work at all. I find out Windows 10 will not support these printers with the existing drivers. So, luckily, I found the drivers online but had to choose a Windows 7 driver which works. As for the Ink cartridge issue, it has been an ongoing battle to get the printers to operate with refilled cartridges. Just recently it appears neither will now accept any cartridge except for a new Canon Cartridge. So the battle may be lost anyway as buying new cartridges is a joke as far as price is concerned.

Redd

5. Default

What's an update?

Oh, that lack of QC crap people seem to think they need never mind the fact I've only used a handful since Win 98se? Those updates?

Never been hacked in my life and only got one virus back in my Win 98se days that crappy AVG didn't even stop. Since then I vowed never to be owned and tea bagged again and learned a whole hell of a lot about computer and cyber security.

Now one might say, "you probably have malware and don't know it." Well, if my software of which are Sanity Check, Stream Armor, TDssKiller, ADwcleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, FreeFixer (not what you think), Ring3 Hook scanner or my use of Sandboxie for my browser doesn't show anything then I guess I'm good to go. Especially with my discipline of scanning any and all capable file downloads at Virus Total.

I do run a tight ship, and I don't need lack of QC updates destroying MY computer. I've seen thread after thread on how an update totally messed up one's computer. And I'm like why do you even bother using updates in the first place? Just use the individual ones that you absolutely need for things like motherboard and/or software functionality. But each their own I guess.

Now I realize you can't turn the crap off in 10. My answer to that is in the last paragraph of this post here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...39#post2087339

And nothing in life is free. Win 10 was "free" and I have to wonder why they pushed it so badly though an update.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 08-10-2019 at 01:42 AM.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

6. Default

Hello All
    Concerning W10 updates I use a free program called wuMgr .This utility effectively gives you back control of W10 updates by allowing you to select which ones you want to download and install (virus definitions , security updates etc which I receive on a daily basis and always install)or in the case of a Windows major updates ,which as a simmer iam rather wary of until I know just what effect they may have on the venerable Fs9.I can if needs be install these particular updates later when I have read up the views from other users on there possible adverse or not effects on the sim.
    In short this utility effectively gives you the control over updates that used to be available in earlier Windows additions.
    Just one thing more ....there are quite a few other free apps similar to WuMgr ,but a lot of them block everything from being downloaded and installed , which I don't want to do.
    Anyway iam sure a lot of you will be aware of such utilities ,but just thought I'd let you know just in case.

Cheers Andy

There are numerous ways to reduce the amount of updates you get via the WU process and to minimise the amount of data collected by MS - a simple internet search is all that is required.

@ REDDAIR

Although you have resolved the issue by getting older drivers, it is possible that the next time windows updates that it will redownload and install the incompatible drivers.

You can turn off all non MS developed/related driver updates using the info found in these two links - LINK 1 and LINK 2

WRT the specific cartridge problem that REDDAIR has reported - the problem is a common theme and IS NOT directly related to a MS update file itself but via a driver update provided to MS by the OEM software team.

It is now common for all printer manufacturers to make it harder for users to use 'cheap' refills. Most new printers are already 'hardwired' as such and many have applied this to older printers via a firmware update, either issued directly via their own update process (as part of the installed driver software - check to see what update policy is in place via the specific printer software installed) or via an update issued to a third party source (such as MS).
    Regards

Brian

1 MILE FROM MISSISSIPPI RIVER QUAD CITIES

Brian, Thanks for the comment. My printer problem is the first time I recognized an update from Windows may not always be productive. My comment above was a "FYI" with respect to Andy's introduction of this thread. As far as the Ink Cartridge matter, it took a while for me to realize it was external forces at work which disabled my printers. The printers at first began printing erratically and I assumed it was just a cartridge fault. Not so....

Redd

9. Default

It could have been a driver update. It would be prudent to stop Windows from updating your drivers automatically and let yourself go directly to the manufacturer for the driver. Whether that be for the GPU, a printer, etc.

Read here:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/d...-on-windows-10

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast