What would be a reason you would NOT get FS2020?

dogdish

I'm willing to get Windows 10 (on a separate bootdrive, long live Windows 7!) to use it, however if...

I can't use it off-line in some manner, forget it.

If it's a subscription service, forget it.

EDIT: Also if it requires Periodic Entitlement Verification aka Grand Theft Auto V, then forget it. The reason I won't buy anymore GTA series.

Edited by dogdish
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to get Windows 10 (on a separate bootdrive, long live Windows 7!) to use it, however if...

1. I love FSX and have a lot of time & money invested in it.

2. Price is probably going to be crazy for FS2020 & I don't like being held hostage paying subscription fee if they go that route.

Price - or method of continuity of `membership` . I dont have anything `XBox` in my house, and wont be starting anytime soon...

Method of entry - continuous subscription doesn't work - I have very limited simming time

Lack of developer contribution.

Past history - their interpretation of `simulator` might not reflect mine.

Lack of skill - who are the developers? Any history in the industry?

Hardware requirements - not buying a new rig for MSFS.

Like most sensible simmers I am holding back until it's out, bugfixed, and requirements for computing power and methods is known and understood FAR better than it is at the moment.

Price and subscription fees probably won't be a deal killer for me. I expect those will be in line with my other recreational expenses.

But, if political correctness leads to no military planes available in the sim, I will be reluctant. So-called "corporate culture" has changed since FSX Acceleration and Gold versions were released back when. If done today, I wonder if Microsoft would still include the F/A-18 fighter jet? Or would it be excluded because it's now an example of "toxic masculinity", and Microsoft doesn't want to offend anybody?

Price and subscription fees probably won't be a deal killer for me. I expect those will be in line with my other recreational expenses.

But, if political correctness leads to no military planes available in the sim, I will be reluctant. So-called "corporate culture" has changed since FSX Acceleration and Gold versions were released back when. If done today, I wonder if Microsoft would still include the F/A-18 fighter jet? Or would it be excluded because it's now an example of "toxic masculinity", and Microsoft doesn't want to offend anybody?

I would argue that is representative of `toxic femininity` as there are many female military pilots and to deny anyone the opportunity to simulate military aircraft denies this FACT. However the problem may lie with getting permission, and that's certainly more of `toxic` problem - Scumbag lawyers rule the roost these days...

Reflecting on how much ive spent on FSX, it certainly wouldn't be the price that

puts me off buying FS2020. Hell, i will even upgrade my PC if I think it is worth it.

(My PC is 6 yrs old so probably could do with it anyhow). This is my main hobby at the end of the day and what price happiness?

For me it basically comes down to it needing to be a significant upgrade

on FSX . Also if there is any hint of FPS issues i'm out

That said i am feeling very positive about the announcement and cannot wait for it's release.

Cheers

Stinger.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Also if it requires Periodic Entitlement Verification aka Grand Theft Auto V, then forget it. The reason I won't buy anymore GTA series.

I left Flightsim in 2004 - coming back for FSX 20202 or what ever the name is, moved to 3D graphics. there are 3D programs which are now subscription, especially Adobe stuff, and it is a pain. you stop paying and its stops working, no warning no nothing, is just stops. some of those subscriptions are $60 to $250 a month (US), granted when you could have bought it the upfront cost was upwards of $3,600 (US).

I am sure you may know this but MS will stop extended support for Win7 come this January (2020), so no patches, no security updates, you'll be on your own.

I am sure you may know this but MS will stop extended support for Win7 come this January (2020), so no patches, no security updates, you'll be on your own.

True, however I still have old computers I built that have Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Windows Vista x64 that still function fine with no support. Rarely take them on-line. Will do same with Windows 7 still have install DVD and saved all Microsoft stand-alone updates.

I only have a few games that are played on-line (GTA V and Race Room Experience, etc) that I would put on Windows 10, besides FS2020. As long as it meets my criteria of course.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

That doesn’t bother me. My home pc is strictly a gaming rig now.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Simple answer for me... I'm not getting it, period.

I'm on FS9 and staying there. I've put way too much time and effort in airport editing, setting up WOAI with more current flight plans, aircraft addons, etc., to throw all that away now.

And if it isn't MSF 2.0, but an actual FS, it could just be flashier graphics with the same old "under the hood" stuff we've had since FS9. Like not being able to use different non parallel runways...

DDP.

MS peaked with FS2004. The balance between freeware and payware was wonderful. Yes FSX was fancier graphics but with careful addons FS2004 gives it a good run for its money looks wise.

Totally agree. I think there are many who are actually running a FSX which looks graphically inferior to my FS9. It all depends what add-ons you use and how you pump them in to each sim that will determine how good it will look.

In regards to the OP question, there are a million reasons I have pointed out in various places why at this stage I would not buy it. I have now found another reason after watching the trailer a second time. The trailer is carefully constructed to sell the game and show it's best assets. They avoid anything that will show potential graphics flaws. What is below I believe slipped through and has not been picked up in any of the billion posts at the other site discussing the trailer or by an ACES expert as far as I know. It's imo the most critical and most blatantly obvious scene in the entire trailer.

MSFS.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

You mean the 'fuzzy' elephant. Not exactly crisp graphics, that for sure. Good eye. Here is a 'close up'.

Chuck B

Napamule

2020 Elephant_Blurry.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi Mark,

I guess I don't have a trained eye :o What is the flaw your pointing out?

And I hope the management at Microsoft sees this thread and considers the single most biggest objection would be subscription service.

EDIT: Maybe fuzzy due to motion blur?

Edited by dogdish

EDIT: Maybe fuzzy due to motion blur?

Yes, exactly. I believe this is what occurs when the game requires rendering power. I believe the grass in the giraffe scene and elephant scene is identical. The difference in visuals/blurring is what occurs when you introduce speed/movement as you would see if flying low from the cockpit. The grass in the giraffe scene looks sharp and detailed because it is not moving in the frame. When you introduce movement, it all falls apart.

Mark Daniels

MS peaked with FS2004. The balance between freeware and payware was wonderful. Yes FSX was fancier graphics but with careful addons FS2004 gives it a good run for its money looks wise.

Simply not true. FS9 was great, and I enjoyed it for years, but FSX (even the default version, but especially with add-ons) is a FAR more advanced flight simulation program in so many ways. There is just no comparison. Except for those who have had difficulty running FSX on old computers that are not up to the task (and in 2019 that would be pretty old!) it is hard to imagine an informed FS user saying otherwise.

Yes, exactly. I believe this is what occurs when the game requires rendering power. I believe the grass in the giraffe scene and elephant scene is identical. The difference in visuals/blurring is what occurs when you introduce speed/movement as you would see if flying low from the cockpit. The grass in the giraffe scene looks sharp and detailed because it is not moving in the frame. When you introduce movement, it all falls apart.

Motion blur is a option in the graphics settings of some games I have. I usually leave it off. Will just have to wait and see if it is a switchable option or a flaw in FS2020. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me when you consider how fuzzy some of the graphics can be in FSX until you add ORBX.