Spin Entry and Recovery Over Florida

Decided to vent some frustration built up over the last week and a half.

Power on spins:

fsscr000.jpg

fsscr001.jpg

fsscr002.jpg

fsscr003.jpg

Power off spin, opposite direction

fsscr004.jpg

fsscr005.jpg

fsscr006.jpg

Recover

fsscr007.jpg

Landing at Ormond Beach, FL. I feel better now...

fsscr008.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, be careful!! :eek::eek::eek:

Start 5,000 ft AGL, 3 turns and recover. No sweat! :D

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi David. that's awesome. I heard they removed it from the recent PPL curriculum, you don't actually enter a spin? I know in my time I did it. Opposite rudder then its a normal stall recovery.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi David. that's awesome. I heard they removed it from the recent PPL curriculum, you don't actually enter a spin? I know in my time I did it. Opposite rudder then its a normal stall recovery.

When i did my training at Embry-Riddle from 1980 to 1984, the only time we did actual spin entry and recovery was when I was going for my CFI. We did actual entry, were required to do so many turns in then spin, recover, do the opposite direction and the same. We had to do power on and power off spin training. That was the most fun of all my training! I still remember my instructor to this day. We had a great time for about and hour and a half doing spins. In a C172 they are easy to recover. He showed me by basically letting go of the controls, the plane would pretty much recover by itself with the exception of being in a dive that you had to get out of. However, we did the proper procedures during the "formal" training.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just like kalizzi as far a I'm concerned: during my training recovering from a spin was stick and rudder full at the opposite of the spin! Great moments too :):):) Good at 5,000 ft, deadly during a circuit pattern at 1,000 :(:(
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Just like kalizzi as far a I'm concerned: during my training recovering from a spin was stick and rudder full at the opposite of the spin! Great moments too :):):) Good at 5,000 ft, deadly during a circuit pattern at 1,000 :(:(

Yes, 1,000 feet in the pattern very bad!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi David. that's awesome. I heard they removed it from the recent PPL curriculum, you don't actually enter a spin? I know in my time I did it. Opposite rudder then it's a normal stall recovery.

you bet..you cant graduate from there without it...

Nice recovery David. I almost needed an airsick bag. :)

Funny you should mention that. We never had airsickness bags in the planes. It never dawned on me until you mentioned it.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice recovery David. I almost needed an airsick bag. :)

Funny that remark! I remember that during the part of my training dedicated to stall (another mandatory :) ), my instructor asked if I would allow two (or three) passengers behind into the plane, as they wanted to live the roller coster experiment of stalls :):):)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

When I was learning gliders, I had to learn how to recognize the initial indications of spin entry, what a spin was actually like to encounter, and how to recover.

Training gliders are so stable, it was actually difficult to force a spin, and super easy to recover from. Just center up all controls (ie: "let go" of the controls), and wait a second. Didn't even have to pull out the dive, the glider would nose up by it's self as the speed increased.

They were so easy to recover, and used so little altitude, that even a spin at 1,000' AGL was very survivable. It usually wound up at about 800'. If you were anywhere near the airport you were now at pattern altitude, if not, you could usually pick up a nice thermal, gain some altitude, and then head for the airport. Just look for the local avian wildlife, like hawks or vultures, and soar with them. They usually didn't mind too much :cool:

Or go back to soaring, if you so desired. Or the IP desired :D He had a big, hard, yardstick he used to correct my behaviour. What he wanted was my command :p

After the first spin or two, they weren't even really scary. Just another maneuver.

Of course, I was only 14 at the time, so to me, they were just another exciting part of flying ;)

Spin training taught me a very important lesson, as well: when the straps are so tight they are leaving bruises, they are almost tight enough. I lived that from then on. You just never know...

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D