I'm back after a long time because MS is reAnimating FSX in 2020

bobc4d

I saw this on CNBC and had to come back to the fold. here is a snippet from article and link to article

Long before the Xbox, Microsoft had Flight Simulator. Designed to allow pilots and enthusiasts to practice flying from their living room, the program won the Guinness World Record for the longest-running video-game series in 2012, three decades after its debut.

Now, to the surprise of its most ardent fanatics who thought Microsoft had abandoned the market, the company is planning to update its Flight Simulator X application for the first time since 2006. Earlier this month, the company said that sometime in 2020, consumers will be able to play it using Xbox Game Pass, a subscription service.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/23/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-announcement-surprised-fanatics.html?&qsearchterm=flightsimexpo

Yes it is interesting MS FlightSim 2020, but there is practically no information except for a promo video. It looks nice and all, but until we see signs of an actual product and the features both on the upside or downside we will just have to dream of what it may eventually become. Not trying to be negative, although I am about to fail that test, but I really do hope MS can bring it all together and show what can be done with our beloved FS in 2020 given the advances in technology and design.

These thoughts are just my opinion, we all have one, you know what they say about opinions and poopers, we all got em. Mine may not follow with those who are looking to a rosey FS future with little capital outlay and the pain of setting it up just right, I am not trying to start debate on pros and cons or offend someone who has found inspiration from the FS2020 video. It does look sensational, but then again so was the FSX Acceleration video back in the day, with DX10 fully developed by ACES "Microsoft Flight Simulator X As Real as it Gets"!!!! little disappointed in the outcome ACES team disbanded, FSX Grand-fathered to third Party content Developers.

One of the downsides for me at least is XBOX?

Firstly, I do not have or need one, I bought adequate PC hardware to run FSX with reasonably high-Fidelity, and by god I'm going to use it until it breaks or I break, XBOX is for gaming not simulators.

Second, is DLC / or online content, one of the reasons I still use boxed FSX is that control of the sim and its content what I choose to install and Aircraft Utilities and whatnot is entirely up to the user including what I spend, subscriptions are not part of the deal for me. I suspect this will not be the case with 2020 so as it is with FSX:SE DLC Steam Third party web connection. I live in an area that does not have good internet access and it is expensive part of the monthly budget, I wish things weren't going toward online only for DL's and content, it disadvantages people who at one time enjoyed the hobby but now find themselves unable to partake because of cost or access. Let alone the reinvestment costs to enjoy a new MS offering.

Third, unknown hardware spec, what level of machine will we need to run this sim if we were inspired by the video content and will accept nothing less.

Fourth, well its MS, can they be trusted after pulling up stumps on FSX and ACES. And Game Studios by design do they understand what a niche Flight Sim community actually need feature wise, do they retain the knowledgebase from a flight enthusiast and development perspective. It should not primarily focus on eyecandy disregarding the well honed mindset of the enthusiast simmer, in favour of providing a five minute or few day run through by the Gamer crowd, ( I know they like to complete the whole thing in a few short hours after getting the hottest new software title, then forgetting it on the bookshelf through boredom). FS hobbiests and enthusiasts don't look at any sim with a view to gaming.

Fifth, hardware/software compatibility, I don't cling to my old favourites for nothing, some of my software has not even had the paint scratched yet (so to speak), the last 5 years of Flightsim changes, new offerings begun and withdrawn, software complexities, vendor changes, Operating system selection, software configuration, and hardware turmoil, has been a soul destroying exercise. (Causing many to simply drift away or take a short break). Many simmers now excited and returning to the fold, have spent less time simming and more time choosing a hardware/software pathway and configuring successfully/unsuccessfully rather than just enjoying the Flight Simulator. I feel their pain my own flights have become considerably shorter and more prone to minor niggling issues, which once discovered must be solved (must be some kind of FS O.C.D on my side).

Sixth, access for third parties to integrate content, what will the SDK reveal.

Seventh, as of now current knowledge of the inner workings of FSX P3D are known to many, offered on many forums both for freeware and payware titles, and therefore a fairly good data record is held around the forums on issue and problem solving software integration and configuration. Unless the MS GS team broaden access to the inner workings of FS2020 to the community in general and Third Party Developers, the knowledge base as it stands will be fairly sparse, restricted only to MS GS.

Now I bend over for a royal butt kicking, or not! I will likely not respond, until I have the 2020 Flight Sim in my hands.

Lets hope it is as wonderful as the video, with little additional pain.

Edited by jethrom

This is M$ latest release and may answer some of the questions...

On behalf of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team, we humbly and deeply express our gratitude for such an overwhelmingly positive response to our announce trailer! We recognize that without people like you, we don’t get to make experiences like this that span more than 35 years and maintain such a passionate following. Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past. We hear you, we value you, we want to make the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator for you, with you.

While this is not the moment to answer every question being asked, we do want to take the opportunity to answer a few important ones:

We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.

Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).

Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.

Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.

Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

Over the next few months, we will be communicating our plans for the rest of the year, including important updates to the Preview Build/Insider Programs, and important development beats. Maintaining a collaborative relationship with the community starts with transparency and clearly communicated expectations. Early August is our current timeline for kicking off the communication of the development roadmap. We will continue to add clarity to this timeline throughout the summer. If you’d like the latest updates, please make sure to sign up for the Insider Program.

This is just the first step in an adventure we are honored and excited to be taking with all of you. The reaction we received from our recent trailer was an incredible reminder that we are not alone in this passion we have for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, honestly expressing your feedback and concerns, and for taking this next step with us.

From all of us here working on Microsoft Flight Simulator:

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/

NOTHING stays a secret very long in the software business world. Stuff would of leaked out. Like: MS is hiring 100 coders for new Flt Sim. Did we 'hear' that? No. Why? Because MS is just plugging in their XBox in an inovative 'direction' (but same ole XBox) and FS2020 will require us to PAY to play. Not to mention the new hardware you will (probably) have to buy. I smell smoke! No thanks.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

1. MFS or Microsoft Flight Simulator is the official name, NOT MS FlightSim 2020, or anything else.

It will be released for the new Xbox One, as well as for PC's.

2. We have no idea regarding DLC's. In any case, we are, or should be used to downloading add-ons, so downloading DLC's will not be an issue at all.

As far as steaming content, we have no idea if this will be available.

3. No idea regarding hardware specs. The less than 2 minute teaser gives no indication whatsoever, and often, these kind of teasers are no refection of what will be in the actual release. We are not forced, or will be at anytime, to 'buy' into MFS, so, as far as acceptance of what is offered, we have choices, acceptance of what we already have, acceptance of what we want, & acceptance if we want to upgrade, as we have had acceptance choices with anything new.

4. Bear in mind that this will be an Xbox One program. A quick search will tell you that Microsoft's Xbox gaming market is in excess of 62 million gamers!! So, that is their main target market, (not saying that us simmers will be marginalized at all.)

5. I certainly hope that existing add-ons will not be backward compatible. I'd rather have add-ons that are designed for a new 64bit sim, & not obsolete programs, as this will be a completely new sim, with a new sim engine.

6. Microsoft has said that they are/will be working with 3rd part developers.

7. So far, each knowledge base, or forums, has been developed & added to by users & developers of the sims, so far. Microsoft, if I recall, did not ever have an FS2004 nor an FSX forum. They gave us the basic engine, and the developers, both payware & freeware did the developing of add-ons. Any problems, issues or queries of the sim as well as add-ons, were dealt with on the various forums, such as Flightsim.com & others.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

If it WAS going to be a 64 bit (and/or 'improved') FSX then they would have named it 'FS XI' and not 'FS2020'. So it's NOT an improved FSX. Dream on. 2020 refers to a YEAR and not a VERSION (NEW or otherwise) of anything! More like XBox for PC. How nice! Pay Pay Pay to Play Play Play. 'Boing'! Sorry to burst your bubble or ballon but that's the facts Ladies and Germs!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If it WAS going to be a 64 bit (and/or 'improved') FSX then they would have named it 'FS XI' and not 'FS2020'.

At the moment it's actually just called Microsoft Flight Simulator, no year or version. And as has been pointed out, we really don't know any specific details, including whether it will be subscription only, or available for purchase as well as being included in the Xbox Game Pass subscription (all games currently included in the subscription can be bought separately). Sorry, just the facts.

If it WAS going to be a 64 bit (and/or 'improved') FSX then they would have named it 'FS XI' and not 'FS2020'. So it's NOT an improved FSX. Dream on. 2020 refers to a YEAR and not a VERSION (NEW or otherwise) of anything! More like XBox for PC. How nice! Pay Pay Pay to Play Play Play. 'Boing'! Sorry to burst your bubble or ballon but that's the facts Ladies and Germs!

Chuck B

Napamule

Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox)

I'm a little concerned that the new Flight Sim is being referred to as a game.

That always rings alarm bells and gets my hackles raised!

Lol, FS2004 & FSX came from ACES Gaming Studio, & the boxes had Game in big letters printed on it. FSX:SE is marketed by Dovetail Games, & MFS will be marketed via Game Pass (Xbox), with an Xbox version as well.

So, I cannot understand why alarm bells are ringing, & your hackles are being raised?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

FS is a simulation game, others might play first person shooter games, they are all games.

I was actually disappointed to try a truck sim, not very realistic. FS is at least a little more realistic. Some sims are closer to what they represent in real life than others. End of the day, they are all just games.

Mark Daniels

Did the Truck Sim have VC panel (dashboard?)? If it didn't then that is probably the reason you didn't like it. Not 'real' enough due to no VC. And was it a 'game'? (I am being sarcastic - playing devil's advocate - and aimed at those that won't call Flt Sim a game and won't fly if they don't have a VC panel - HA!). Immersion is EVERYTHING 'they' say (on a laptop @ 2.6 Ghz and video card with 2 G of DDR3 Ram - HA!). And when it's all said and done they can't even land anything on the center line. Cheesh!

Chuck B

Napamule

If you can fly the Cessna, and the 747, then it's not a 'game'. It's a simulation (of reality). If you CAN'T fly a Cessna, or a 747, then it's a 'game' (no resemblence to 'real'). How's that. Like they say: 'LIFE IS A TRAGEDY FOR THOSE THE 'FEEL' AND A COMEDY FOR THOSE THAT 'THINK' !! They also say: 'MONEY TALKS, BS WALKS'. It's ALL about a DOLLAR$. Dawh! What else is 'new' (or 'real')?

Chuck B

Napamule

I last used MS Flightsim around 2004. Actually, and no offense meant, I was really surprised and pleased that Flightsim.com was still around. I remember way back then to not expect anything from MS regarding Flight simulator until AFTER it happens, so I am holding my breath about FS for now.

Did the Truck Sim have VC panel (dashboard?)? If it didn't then that is probably the reason you didn't like it. Not 'real' enough due to no VC. And was it a 'game'? (I am being sarcastic - playing devil's advocate - and aimed at those that won't call Flt Sim a game and won't fly if they don't have a VC panel - HA!). Immersion is EVERYTHING 'they' say (on a laptop @ 2.6 Ghz and video card with 2 G of DDR3 Ram - HA!). And when it's all said and done they can't even land anything on the center line. Cheesh!

Chuck B

Napamule

I've tried Euro Truck Simulator 2 and have also driven a real truck. The truck handles more like a F1 car than a truck in truck sim.

I use FS9 and have flown a real plane. Not takeoffs or landings, just 2-3 hours in a 172 flying at altitude, doing some climbs and descents, a couple of 360 degree turns. I found FS a closer experience to real life than the truck sim.

Mark Daniels

• 2 weeks later...
Just to give you guys some hope. I started simming with FS (no number) running on a C64. After some thousand hours & various years later I became private pilot and then a CFI. Keep trying. Bst rgds.

If you can fly the Cessna, and the 747, then it's not a 'game'. It's a simulation (of reality). If you CAN'T fly a Cessna, or a 747, then it's a 'game' (no resemblence to 'real'). How's that. Like they say: 'LIFE IS A TRAGEDY FOR THOSE THE 'FEEL' AND A COMEDY FOR THOSE THAT 'THINK' !! They also say: 'MONEY TALKS, BS WALKS'. It's ALL about a DOLLAR$. Dawh! What else is 'new' (or 'real')?

Chuck B

Napamule

Agreed. FSX is a game for those who do not take flying seriously and just want to fool around with the program, and is a SIMULATION OF FLYING (the purpose for which it was designed years ago, and is the "S" in FSX) for those who do. Simple as that.

I've tried Euro Truck Simulator 2 and have also driven a real truck. The truck handles more like a F1 car than a truck in truck sim.

I use FS9 and have flown a real plane. Not takeoffs or landings, just 2-3 hours in a 172 flying at altitude, doing some climbs and descents, a couple of 360 degree turns. I found FS a closer experience to real life than the truck sim.

I have American Truck Simulator And FSX.

I’ve never driven a truck nor have I flown a plane. They’re entertaining to me and that’s all. If I want realism I’ll get the PMDG plane and spend hours reading the manual just to get one engine started. Or, I’ll attend truck driving school.

Since both are out of the question, I’ll retreat to my computer world..

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I have American Truck Simulator And FSX.

I’ve never driven a truck nor have I flown a plane. They’re entertaining to me and that’s all. If I want realism I’ll get the PMDG plane and spend hours reading the manual just to get one engine started. Or, I’ll attend truck driving school.

Since both are out of the question, I’ll retreat to my computer world..

I'll give you a trucking tip, brake slowly and gently to increase reality. The one part you can't do anything about is wheel rotation due to PC steering wheel hardware restrictions. To turn a real truck you need to heavily rotate/work the wheel. To make a turn in a truck sim, it's nothing like the real world. That's an area you really can't do anything about and feels incredibly wrong.

I haven't played with the truck sims long enough yet to give a highly detailed analysis. From the quick play I have had, I think if they sorted the braking and someone developed a purpose made wheel/shifter for an 18 speed road ranger gearbox, you could have a really great sim. In the future maybe. AND they have to make distance/time real-time! lol

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels