KDTW to EGLL and My First CTD! Not Cool...

More than a 7 hour flight and just as I'm approaching London, the dreaded Crash to Desktop (CTD). It was such a beautiful approach and I was enjoying the scenery but never made it to the airport.

Headed out of Detroit on a rainy day

fsscr001.jpg

Making the approach into London

fsscr008.jpg

It was looking good

fsscr009.jpg

And that was it! No further would I go.

fsscr010.jpg

Now I just need time to find time to read the AVSIM CTD guide...:mad:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hate when that happens, but what you have looks good. :cool: :)

Thanks Larry. Guess I’ll have to take my 172 and cruise around the city.

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even not so long haulers crash. That's due to a more crowded environment when your flight nears arrival aiport.

Only one solution: to save your flight intermittently ($ key I think)

Or, in the worst cases, save the flight when about the descent and approach's beginning. Then close-restart FSX. That's decluttering your PC and you gain FSP back

Otherwise a fine flight!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Even not so long haulers crash. That's due to a more crowded environment when your flight nears arrival aiport.

Only one solution: to save your flight intermittently ($ key I think)

Or, in the worst cases, save the flight when about the descent and approach's beginning. Then close-restart FSX. That's decluttering your PC and you gain FSP back

Otherwise a fine flight!

Thanks Gerard. Good advice!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to hear about the crash, pics are very nice David :cool::cool: I do the same as Gerard, always save the flight just before Approaching a "busy" or dense airport :) Had too many FS crashes myself..:mad:
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

David - I guess my issues are the same? I can fly non-stop from Charleston, SC to Boston in one of the fighter jets, when I ILS approach Boston it does not engage at all. If I break up the trip in 2 pieces all work good! I think I will try what Gerard and Jan has suggested!

I agree, nice pics of what you did get! Rick :cool:

trip in 2 pieces all work good

Yes that's one of the solution!

Save-restart FSX before a dense area OR save at intervals and keep flying as FSX may not crash. Should it, you get the latest saved step of the flight (and the Peer's Academy option seems good too: last interval is when reaching to a dense area :):) )

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Thanks all. Funny thing is I never had the issue before. May be my new computer or all the add ons. It seems the 6-7 hour flights are doing this. Although it’s my first of the CTD disease. I will definitely do the save function!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

About sure it's that transatlantic flight. Just imagine what a 6-7 hour flight is clogging even a strong computer chip!

Excellent point

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) is the most loathsome thing anyone runs into. Once in a blue moon, I do get the odd OOM (Out Of Memory) condition when using the sim for too long, but the BSOD is even worse. Best practice on a long flight is to save, and save often. Then whatever happens you just load the flight and pick up from last save. BSOD's are typically associated with a certain driver update, especially display adapter drivers, and more especially if it is Nvidia based. Windows does give an error code and saves a log of the BSOD. You can decrypt these error codes and this may just give you a hint as to what went wrong.

This link may come in handy

Best wishes.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) is the most loathsome thing anyone runs into. Once in a blue moon, I do get the odd OOM (Out Of Memory) condition when using the sim for too long, but the BSOD is even worse. Best practice on a long flight is to save, and save often. Then whatever happens you just load the flight and pick up from last save. BSOD's are typically associated with a certain driver update, especially display adapter drivers, and more especially if it is Nvidia based. Windows does give an error code and saves a log of the BSOD. You can decrypt these error codes and this may just give you a hint as to what went wrong.

This link may come in handy

Best wishes.

Khalid

Thanks Khalid. I need to find the time. A lot going in my crazy life right now! Thanks for the information!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]