Issues with X-Plane free demo

flyguy

I have a new Windows 10 system on my desktop, and a new Surface notebook laptop. Tried to download the free X-plane demo on both. A message came up on my desktop, stating I need an "open GL 2.0 driver to run". Does anyone know what that means? Also tried opening the demo on my laptop, and it started to download, but appeared like it would take a few hours or so. Anyone have this issue for just a demo? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Flyguy

In addition to my previous post, just a general question for Flight Sim X Versus X- Plane 11. In my research to determine which flight sim to purchase it seems that X-Plane 11 is more realistic, and works better on Windows 10 (which I have), but I had issues just trying to download the free demo from X-Plane 11. Flight Sim X is from Microsoft (does that mean it would work better?), and it has 3 commercial aircraft, which I like. Not sure what commercial aircraft X-Plane has? The old Microsoft flight sim I had (maybe 2004, not sure which one) also had flying lessons, which I enjoyed. I already have the Microsoft Force Feedback joystick, which I understand will work with X- Pane 11 and Flight Sim X. Just need some more opinions (pro & con) on both systems before I purchase. Thanks to all who can give some additional feedback!

Flyguy

it seems that X-Plane 11 is more realistic, and works better on Windows 10 (which I have)

That is someone's opinion, not an established fact, and many of us would disagree with that statement. Of course so much depends on what you're after.

OpenGL (Open Graphics Language) is a free set of drivers that, in XP, are used instead of Microsoft's DirectX, which gives XP cross-platform capability that the FS series don't have, meaning that XP can run natively on Linux and on Apple stuff. You can download and install OpenGL drivers at this Khronos website, choosing the version appropriate for your graphics card, that is, AMD, Intel or nVidia.

The above notwithstanding, I have a preference for L-M's Prepar3d (P3D), or maybe for FSX, rather than X-Plane, and feel that "real" depends on the specific aircraft implementation (despite the claims of Austin and Laminar Research), rather than the inherent capabilities of the sim. FS & P3D initially come a bit more complete, but there are now add-ons for XP that, in many ways, match (perhaps occasionally exceed) what FS/P3D has.

So I suggest that you install OpenGL drivers on your system (it's not very big) and play with the XP demo. That'll allow you to make a more valid comparison. It also wouldn't hurt to check out FlightGear, a free/open source simulator that has gotten fairly decent in recent years, though it's a tad more complex to set up than the other two, but it's free, both in cost and in what you are allowed to do with it, and the source code is available (though it sounds as if that might not be your line) too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thank you so much for your feedback; I appreciate your insight and knowledge. I did try to install the Open GL drivers, but after processing, a message came up stating no updates available. That being said, a bit frustrating as I still can't run the X-plane demo. But thank you again for your help!

And where can Prepar3d be purchased? Didn't look like it was available on Amazon. Thanks!

Prepar3d has EULA limits: BE SURE you read and meet those requirements.

If you can purchase go here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/

It is the only place you can buy it.

You may want to reveal full details of your system, P3D is far more system-specific than X-Plane...

I'm not real tech savvy; do you mean the graphics? Graphics are: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corp-WDDM 1.0).

I did a live chat with Intel and Dell, and Intel had me contact Dell, but they want to charge me to fix the issue as it is out of warranty.

And for what it's worth: I have a Dell Inspiron 530, and I used to have Windows Vista on it, but the system went bad (about a year ago). I then went to Staples and they installed Windows 10 for me. Wondering if that's the issue?

And I did try your link (thank you), and I followed the steps, but crazy as this sounds, there was no GPU "O". Just CPU.

You did say Intel Chip Set?? That would mean no Graphics card.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'm not real tech savvy; do you mean the graphics? Graphics are: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corp-WDDM 1.0).

The issue is that video card doesn't support the version of OpenGL that X-Plane needs. Installing an Nvidia or AMD video card would fix this, along with providing far better performance.

A chipset has nothing to do with graphics. It is just a chip on your mainboard.

It does indicate you have a Intel processor. some Intel processors have a graphics chip built in, of too low quality for games.

But, that's not unique to Intel, AMD processors usually have video chips built in as well.

Your pc may have a bit more then a chipset in the processor only. Your PC (something 530) usually came with separate card. Either NVidia, or AMD-Athlon.

Use Speccy (Free) to find out which one. (See "graphics" field.)

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Show a screenshot of the speccy info for the ...530 PC if you can. So we can see the other components too, spot problems, and see if it can be used for X-Plane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A chipset has nothing to do with graphics. It is just a chip on your mainboard.

It does indicate you have a Intel processor. some Intel processors have a graphics chip built in, of too low quality for games.

But, that's not unique to Intel, AMD processors usually have video chips built in as well.

No, with this particular chipset, and others of that era, the graphics are actually in the chipset, not the processor.

Thanks loki, didn't expect that. Has been more then 10 years since I last saw that in a pc.

Still worth checking for a card using speccy of course. Or better yet, to unscrew the side of the case and just have a look inside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]