How To Avoid Side Loading On Landings

jbearnolimits

So I have been using FSX for a while now and have gotten to the point of being able to at least land and most of the time do so without a problem. But I've been examining my landings and have found that I tend to land sideways. It's normally a slide to the right. Though I have noticed it to the left as well a few times.

I've tried to correct it with right rudder but only end up off center as the plane continues to drift right. It seems like I just can't make the right corrections with rudder and aileron in time to hold center line. It's as if I'm fishtailing all the way down final. Oh, and no wind is on in the sim.

What tips do you have to help me stabilize my path? All I can find are people saying the same thing over and over "Coordinate your turns." But HOW do I do it properly?! Even when I think I do I still fishtail a little.

Knowing where the runway is isn't the problem. So the whole thing people point out with having string down the center of the monitor is kinda pointless.

So in short, I need some advice on how not to fishtail and put side load on my landing gear.

Edited by jbearnolimits
added info

Assuming no wind, and assuming that you're making very tiny corrections, your description sounds as if your problem might be the flight model itself. There are many aircraft out there (I no longer fly them) that are nearly impossible to keep perfectly straight, since if you make a correction they want to slide the other way. Adjusting the yaw parameters in the .air file with AirEd (a lot of trial and error) might allow correction of the problem.

However, you've not mentioned WHICH aircraft, and whether it's all aircraft or just some. If you tell us what you're flying, perhaps there could be some additional thoughts.

You also might look below at the Real Aviation Tutorials & FAQs section of the forum, under Basic Aircraft Control, Maneuvers, and Takeoff and Landing for some flying tips that can work well for you in light aircraft, though, just in case it's not the flight model.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

None of the default tubes have differential braking. The only ones that have it is the Goose and the DC3. When you land you can use rudder AND differential braking together to smooth out those 'occilations'. I add this to all my airplanes. Here is the line. Copy it and paste in under (Brakes) section, do File/Save. Done. Go try it.

Chuck B

Napamule

Line: ''differential_braking_scale = 1.0 //Delta on the amount of brake when the rudder pedals deflected'' //(without the quotes)

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

1. No matter where your "eye position" is adjusted or set in the aircraft.cfg file, the runway centerline has to be EXACTLY in the center of your monitor when lined up

2. Regardless of x-wind, flying quality (p-factor with power changes etc) think this way on final:

a. keep the centerline between your legs with the wings

b. keep the nose aligned with the centerline withe rudder

c. continue this to touchdown - it will result in one main touching down first in a crosswind

This is what is usually referred to as a "wing down - top rudder" or "forward side slip" approach.

Quote: 'b. keep the nose aligned with the centerline withe rudder'

He won't be able to do this if he has 'auto co-ordination' ticked. You need to un-tick this so you can use the rudder indipendently (without it affecting roll) IF you have a twist grip joystick. Doing cross wind landing with 'auto co-ordination' ticked ('on') is nearly impossible to do with the heavies because you can't do the 'crab' on approach. Having rudder with 'auto co-ordination' OFF is going to require you to use the rudder on turns to perform turna 'co-ordinated'. Then when on the ground use of rudder AND braking will allow you control any side slip more effectively.

Chuck B

Napamule

Here is a short video of my cross landing 747 in FS9: https://youtu.be/vEAB9N4mzwY

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).