Thread: Article: Flight Sim World - One Year Later

Blog Entries

Default Article: Flight Sim World - One Year Later

This was a great sim with great potential. It was killed in all directions - Steam’s rumored control of third party add ons, backlash from developers, criticism from the community and the impression that Steam was just money grabbing. I liked it, supported it, and still have it on my system. It was a mess brought about by all sides. Have gone to XP-11, deleted FSX, and use P3D rarely only for those aircraft not in XP.

I agree with review. It wasn't a bad sim, but wasn't compelling enough to have in addition to FSX, P3D or X-Plane11. The market simply was saturated and FSW didn't offer anything which stood out to make it a "must-have". Personally I didn't like the scenery that much as the trees didn't blend well and stood out too prominently. I also found their new cloud technology a bit strange as it created a FLIR-like image when inside them and looked like cellophane plastic from the outside.

The best thing I thought Flight Sim World provided was better flight dynamics. I am soon to be a private pilot and when trying to practice spins and even stalls to a certain extent in both P3D and FSX, it is not realistic. In Flight Sim World, it was a lot more realistic with the way you would enter a spin/stall and the recovery. I still to this day cannot do a realistic spin in P3D or FSX. I obviously can get the plane to stall in both P3D and FSX but it does not mimic the real-world "feel" of stalls that well. (I also wish that FSW came with a Cessna like I fly in the real-world)

The thing that killed FSW is the monetary structure of addons and not trusting creators outside of FSW. You need to give free reign to other creators as that is what has made FSX and P3D an excellent sim in terms of scenery, addons, aircraft. I tried X-Plane 11 but it is too foreign for me and even though it has made leaps and bounds in scenery creation, it still is not enough for me.

I'm now, after reading this article, reinstalling FSW to relive it with my new computer (Core [email protected] GeForce 2080 RTX OC). We'll see how much better it is now.
    Last edited by eric5150; 06-27-2019 at 12:40 PM.

5. Default

Good article. Thank you. FSW was/is a very good sim killed by greed. DTG reps did initially say devs would have to sell via Steam but revised their statement saying they didn't want to alter the existing ecosystem. Major P3D/FSX devs were sore they didn't get Microsoft to allow their consortium to build on ESP but went solely with DTW. They started a negative campaign driven by mob mentality that quickly scared folks from investing on FSW. Similar statements have already been released from some of the same developers/influencers about MS FS 2020 as a form of warning to Microsoft. Notice how quickly Microsoft clarified their position towards developers. All we have is hope that Microsoft doesn't turn greedy asking for a cut of each dev sales. If things turn out as the influential devs want it, I'm sure will still have to pay full price for the same airplanes in MS FS 2020 for one of the devs.

vegad, the new simulation from Microsoft is called Microsoft Flight Simulator, & NOT MS FS 2020.

Us simmers should stick to the actual name of the forthcoming simulator, as stated by Microsoft themselves, & not made up names such as FS2019, FS2020 & the name now used by yourself.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

After seeing the early videos for FSW and the declaration that a six core was the minimum hardware needed, I managed to move to an 8 core computer that really runs rings around my old dual core that couldn't even load XP1)! Literally the week I bought the new computer came the news of FSW's demise. Fortunately I was able to get one of the last copies and it is really stunning. I run it from time to time ahead of FSX Steam and XP11. Altho XP11 has come a long way with addon aircraft, none approach the visual experience in FSW. Still my favorite despite some of the minor bugs and glitches. Former Link C-11 Instrument Trainer instructor, USAF.

If Dovetail Games had one as I suggested and make a 64bit FSX then everything would have worked! Okay they wouldn't have made as much money but many people would have moved from FSX because of OOM's alone. It's a shame really I got the impression FSW was made by computer guys and not flightsim enthusiasts.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    vegad, the new simulation from Microsoft is called Microsoft Flight Simulator, & NOT MS FS 2020.

Us simmers should stick to the actual name of the forthcoming simulator, as stated by Microsoft themselves, & not made up names such as FS2019, FS2020 & the name now used by yourself.
    Relax man. It is only a way to identify the one that he is talking about. It's the same way that the people call FS2004, FS9, yet use FSX and FS10 interchangeably.