Can't edit post

ital

Hi ital,

Yesterday is a little long between posting and edit. It probably timed out, we normal members only have a short period after posting where we can make changes (maybe just 15-20minutes). Moderators have unlimited editing time.

I think it should be longer, I've made spelling mistakes and/or typed something that I realised wasn't right in posts and not noticed till a lot later.

There was an occasion I made a mistake and a member made fun of me over it, trivial on there part I admit but I couldn't amend the error.

............I've made spelling mistakes and/or typed something that I realised wasn't right in posts and not noticed till a lot later....…QUOTE]

One of the reasons to restrict the time available to edit/re-edit a post is to avoid any confusion an edit may cause. Minor edits are not a problem BUT if someone was to make a more substantial edit then it may change the whole context of the original thread.....

A way to make major changes so that it is clear to any viewer is to create a new post of the original entry using the Reply With Quote option. You can then, if needs be, edit the quotation area so that it highlights the portion of text to be changed (as I have done using Col's comment as an example) and then clarify the situation with a statement giving details of the error/correct info etc such as this example...

The highlighted info I originally provide was in error/wrong and should have been the following...….etc

Regards

Brian

............I've made spelling mistakes and/or typed something that I realised wasn't right in posts and not noticed till a lot later....…

One of the reasons to restrict the time available to edit/re-edit a post is to avoid any confusion an edit may cause. Minor edits are not a problem BUT if someone was to make a more substantial edit then it may change the whole context of the original thread.....

A way to make major changes so that it is clear to any viewer is to create a new post of the original entry using the Reply With Quote option. You can then, if needs be, edit the quotation area so that it highlights the portion of text to be changed (as I have done using Col's comment as an example) and then clarify the situation with a statement giving details of the error/correct info etc such as this example...

The highlighted info I originally provide was in error/wrong and should have been the following...….etc

Fixed your quote of Colin's quote that I'm quoting! Don't quote me!:D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 2 months later...

On this subject, I recently made a post giving some advice, another member posted after me with a lot better way of explaining the advice, thus making my post not really worth taking up space.

This is no way an offence the to the poster giving a better explanation as I have a lot of respect for him.

So with that out of the way, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a post deleted by my request as the poster?

As I said the post is taking up space plus it is like part of a recipe when the full one is below it, so it has no need to be there, I appreciate only a Moderator can do this and it is giving them more work but it's just a thought, I bet there are others who would after re-reading their posts would like to do the same.

Col.

Hi, Colin! Hit the "Report Post" and explain what you want done with your post. The Moderators will be happy to take care of your request.

I do it all the time over at another site;) Delete posts upon request...not report my own posts!

report.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread.

Just recently I made a couple of goofs, on one was the title of the thread, I have asked a mod to rectify but as yet it hasn't been done.

Another goof was in a thread I made a mistake not only in the title of the thread but in a few of the posts in the thread, (spelling), this made me look a bit foolish, the spelling was partly my fault as I was ignorant of the subject and was put right by another member.

The threads had a lot of views, some of them were my friends but lots of others will be having a little chuckle to themselves.

As mentioned above yes I can go on and post again explaining my mistakes but how many are going to go back and look?

I still think the original poster should be able to edit their own posts no matter how long ago it was, I mean let us just say I had some really good advice on a subject and I posted about it but made a mistake in the title of the thread.

Someone could be having trouble on that very subject and type in a search but my thread won't popup because the spelling is wrong.

Col.