elevator trim doesn't hold

jgf

This problem persists across all aircraft - default, Firepower, third party additions. I have mapped the elevator trim to two joystick buttons (just as in FS9) and I can adjust the trim ...but it will not stay; I must adjust it every 10-15 seconds as the plane will go to about 1000fpm climb in that time (some planes, such as the Spitfire, go even further; a few go into a shallow dive). This is entirely independent of throttle setting, I can be on approach, flaps down, wheels down, and must still hit the down trim every few seconds.

Have tried "Autotrim", OSD shows it enabled, but it seems to have no effect at all so leave it disabled. Joystick is calibrated and works fine.

Can't believe this is normal for CFS3 but have found nothing online about it; perhaps I have been singularly blessed with this anomaly.

I can't speak to CFS3, which I have not played for years, but rather to my general experience with trim. Trimming is a nearly continuing process requiring some patience, i.e. plane is climbing with neutral stick, you trim down elevator, nose goes down, speed increases and nose goes up again. You trim down some more and the action repeats itself. In my experience it takes repeated trim and power adjustments to achieve level flight, which is why we like the autopilot. If you are already aware of all this, I apologize.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

That may well be true, but I think it varies a lot depending on the sim and the individual plane characteristics. I remember a tourist flight I once took in Alaska where I sat right behind the pilot (in a twin DeHaviland), and I swear he was adjusting trim every 1-2 minutes throughout the flight - it was a windy day though.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

• 4 weeks later...

I too haven't used CFS in ages. But in FS9 and FSX I can 'auto set' the trim by going into AP then Alt Hold (at present Alt) and the trim will set itself for level flight after a few seconds. The key presses are 'Z' (for AP On) and 'Ctrl+Z' (for Alt Hold). Wait 20 seconds and do 'Ctrl+Z' then 'Z' and you are done. One other thing might be the sensitivity of pitch trim. In FS9 and FSX it's in the Air file. Good luck with this.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I agree with everything you say, but I don't think the planes in CFS3 have autopilot - if I remember right.

• 2 weeks later...

No AP, nor any provision for adding one. I think one reason CFS3 never attained widespread popularity was that it was all new programming from the ground up, not based on any existing MSFS, so no compatibility with any existing sim.

I recall, after tiring of the canned missions in CFS1, having a great time porting FS98 aircraft to CFS, creating dp and weapons files for them, and flying rocket armed Lear Jets in 1930's USAAF yellow/blue paint schemes in search of 747s in WWI German lozenge camo.

So, in CFS3 I just grumble and give a couple of clicks trim every ten seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

woff ue is an updated version of CFS3. In that sim autotrim can be turned ON or OFF by a single keystroke. If autotrim is ON then the original poster's symptoms will occur, trim will not hold.

Turn the autotrim off (see the keychart) is the cure.

in WOFF UE that key is Control-A which toggles autotrim on and off.